ad.uk.doucleclick.net - hell...apologies if this post is appearing twice!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Extracoconut, May 17, 2005.

  1. Extracoconut

    Extracoconut Guest

    Problem surfing...

    Doesn't seem to matter which browser I'm using, but because FF is better
    than IE, I have been able to identify what the problem is.

    Bloody "ad.uk.doubleclick.net"

    I try a website like www.independent.co.uk or www.timesonline.co.uk and
    after the banner loads up, the page sits there for ages, up to a good few
    minutes, with the legend, "Connecting to ad.uk.doubleclick.net..." in the
    bottom left hand corner.

    I've tried ad-aware, norton, entering 127.0.0.1 in the Hosts folder to stop
    this! There doesn't seem to be any ads loading (thank god) but the page
    still takes an age to load.

    Any ideas?

    Chris.

    Extracoconut, May 17, 2005

  2. Extracoconut

    7 Guest

    Extracoconut wrote:

    > Problem surfing...
    >
    > Doesn't seem to matter which browser I'm using, but because FF is better
    > than IE, I have been able to identify what the problem is.
    >
    > Bloody "ad.uk.doubleclick.net"
    >
    > I try a website like www.independent.co.uk or www.timesonline.co.uk and
    > after the banner loads up, the page sits there for ages, up to a good few
    > minutes, with the legend, "Connecting to ad.uk.doubleclick.net..." in the
    > bottom left hand corner.
    >
    > I've tried ad-aware, norton, entering 127.0.0.1 in the Hosts folder to
    > stop this! There doesn't seem to be any ads loading (thank god) but the
    > page still takes an age to load.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Chris.

    Install the open source program privoxy.
    http://www.privoxy.org
    and then point your browser proxy settings to obtain the
    web pages filtered through privoxy. It can block sites like doubleclick.
    You can add your own list of sites you would like blocked.
    You also get a full list of sites that are being visited in real time by
    spyware and adware programs running on your machine and block them too.

    7, May 17, 2005

  3. Extracoconut wrote:

    > Problem surfing...

    Didn't you post this yesterday? Did you read responses there?

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, May 17, 2005
  4. Extracoconut

    Extracoconut Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > Extracoconut wrote:
    >
    > > Problem surfing...

    > Didn't you post this yesterday? Did you read responses there?
    >
    > --
    > Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    > Killing all Usenet posts from Google Groups
    > Info: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

    Errr....yes and no.

    Yes I posted it yesterday...but newserver problems have meant that (a) i
    can't see it and (b) i can't see any replies.

    Not seeing ANY replies led me to think that the message didn't get through
    in the first place, hence the "apologies" addition to Subject.

    Thanks for the heads-up...i'll go and try a diff newserver to get those
    replies now i know they are there!!!

    Chris.

    Extracoconut, May 17, 2005
  5. Extracoconut wrote:

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >> Extracoconut wrote:

    >> > Problem surfing...

    >> Didn't you post this yesterday? Did you read responses there?

    > Errr....yes and no.

    > Yes I posted it yesterday...but newserver problems have meant that (a) i
    > can't see it and (b) i can't see any replies.

    > Not seeing ANY replies led me to think that the message didn't get through
    > in the first place, hence the "apologies" addition to Subject.

    And I, in turn, didn't notice that in your Subject header.

    > Thanks for the heads-up...i'll go and try a diff newserver to get those
    > replies now i know they are there!!!

    Good luck.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263