AD Setup

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Michael, Jan 9, 2004.

  1. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Hi,

    I´m going for the 70-215 and have installed a 2000 server.

    Problem is that when I try to make a domain and set up the Active Drectory
    (dcpromo) I am prompted to submit
    a domain name, the course book recommends microsoft.com.

    When I try to do this I get an error saying that the domain name could not
    be found or connected to, and that I should install
    the DNS service, ok so I try that with the IP supplied by the book again and
    the DNS can not be installed beacause the host
    could not be found, I have tried with other domain url´s too with the same
    result.

    The sever is currently a Workgroup.
    I am using the Win2000 cd provided with Microsofts own book and following
    the instruction in it.

    Dcpromo seems like a simple task yet I am stumped and can not get past this
    problem.

    Can anybody assist me please?

    Much Obliged
    Michael

    Michael, Jan 9, 2004

  2. Michael

    Marko Guest

    Michael: I am doing this from memory, so you may have to
    fill in the blanks.

    Go to Add / Remove programs and install DNS in the Windows
    components if you have not done so already.

    Now, go to START / cmd [enter] and at the command prompt
    type "ipconfig". The result should suggest that you have
    a valid IP number attached to the machine. For the
    purposes of this exercise, I will assume 192.168.0.1. If
    you do not get an IP and if the network card is not
    plugged into a switch / hub or some other way is not
    functioning, DCPROMO does not work.

    Go configure the network card and set the IP number
    (192.168.0.1?) to be the primary DNS.

    Go to START / Program / Administrative Tools / DNS. You
    should see the local server in the left windows, otherwise
    ACTION / Connect to a computer (yours!)

    Open it, and it should have forward and reverse lookup
    zones. Create the reverse zone first which is a Standard
    Primary zone. The wizard will suggest a reverse from
    192.168.0. Accept the default values.

    Now set up a Standard Primary forward zone. If the book
    suggests microsoft.com, then fair enough. If you call it
    something else (like michaels.net) that's fine. Just
    assume the name substitution during the questions in the
    remainder of the book.

    To get this all to work, use the Right Click menu in the
    forward zone you created to add a host record. It will be
    [WhatTheServerNameIs] and the IP is 192.168.0.1 and YES to
    the box - Do you want to create a reverse lookup? If you
    do not have a NS record for the domain pointing to your
    server, ADD an NS record. Add an NS record for the
    reverse zone as well.

    Remember the value from the IP config command? If DNS is
    working correctly, it should no longer just say the
    NetBios name next to the IP number, but should report
    [servername].michaels.net type name. If you
    type "nslookup" at the command prompt, it should report
    back that the name server is [servername].michaels.net.

    Congratulations - DNS is working.

    Now run DCPROMO....

    Marko, Jan 9, 2004

  3. All You have to do is allow dcpromo to configure the DNS service for you, it will say it can't find the DNS service, then you juest let it complete the installation and configuration of DNS if you do not have an authoritative zone file for the dns name you are trying to ouse

    =?Utf-8?B?TV9DX1NfRQ==?=, Jan 9, 2004
  4. Michael

    Brat Guest

    can you say paranoid?

    --
    Sue Thugette #69

    <> wrote in message

> [...]

    The FBI has been harassing and mentally torturing me for
    two and half years since around Oct 01. The FBI has
    installed
    gps tracking devices in my car, tracked me like an
    animal,
    wire tapped my phone and has been monitoring all my web
    surfing
    activities for 2.5yrs and completely dehumanized me.
    The FBI agents have been following me 24X7X60X60
    everywhere
    including grocery stores, retail stores, malls,
    restaurants and movie
    theaters. The FBI agents who were following me have at
    times
    verbally and racially abused me in retail store and
    grocery store
    parking lots by shouting at me inanities.
    One FBI agent once tried to ram into my car from behind
    with a
    comcast van and came within one inch of hitting me from
    behind.
    There was no traffic altercation between us and there was
    no
    traffic on the road. The FBI agent in the comcast van
    never tried
    to overtake me and was very angry at me and hated me for
    no reason.
    I have been unemployed for close to 3 yrs and When I send
    resumes
    to potential employers, the sadistic FBI agents who were
    monitoring
    my email and websurfing, have been badmouthing and
    assasinating my
    character with recruiters and jeopardizing my job
    opportunities
    for the last 2.5 yrs.
    The FBI has been interfering in my personal life for no
    reason.
    The FBI has completely destroyed and denied me any sort
    of privacy for 2.5 yrs. Each and every word I type and
    post on
    the web is being monitored and each and every email
    tapped.
    The sadistic FBI has forced me to live like a virtual
    prisoner
    for 2.5 yrs with zero privacy and 24 hr real time video
    focused
    on me. I cant talk to friends, family members and
    prospective
    employers without the fear of being over heard and
    recorded.
    I am afraid of doing everything and anything without fear.

    I am not a terrorist. I am not even a muslim. I dont have
    any muslim friends. I am not a drug smuggler. I did not
    kill
    anybody. I did not threaten to kill anybody. I dont have
    record like gottis or escobars. I do not have any prior
    criminal record. Why should I suffer all this harassment
    and
    constant loss of privacy for such an extended period of
    time.
    I feel completely naked infront of the world and it has
    been
    like that for a couple of years.
    I am not familiar with US legal system that much. Can
    somebody
    tell me why the sadistic FBI has such ridiculous
    amount of power to harass and mentally torture me. WHy do
    the
    FBI has the right to think they are God and they are
    always right.
    WHy should my life depend on what the FBI thinks of me.
    Why should
    I be put through so much pain and suffering. Why do the
    FBI has the
    right to deny me privacy for so long. Who gave the FBI
    the right to interfere
    in my personal life and bad mouth and assasinate my
    character with
    potential employers. Why are the FBI agents telling
    employers not
    to hire me. As it is, it is very difficult to find a job
    in this
    economy and whatever few opportunities I get are being
    screwed
    by these fbi sadists.
    On what basis, the FBI installed a gps device in my car
    and tracking
    me like an animal. On what basis did the FBI wire tap my
    phone.
    On what basis did the FBI tap and monitor my web
    activities
    and email for 2.5 yrs. I feel as if I was put in a 6x6
    cell with
    24X7 video focused on me and fbi agents standing around
    the cell
    and constantly poking me with sticks.
    One undercover FBI agent sent an email and called me a
    dumbass.
    His email is and his ebay id is
    spodekmodek.

    Lot of FBI agents are harrassing me 24X7 in vehilces with
    michigan title plates UFX 210 (white SUV), XRA 155 (black
    car), BOGEY 27 (black car), PPL 587 (red car).

    Assume everything I said is true and somebody with legal
    knowledge
    and expertise help me out here.
    I do not have access to us.legal and misc.legal usenet
    news groups. I would appreciate if somebody can do a cut
    and paste this into us.legal and misc.legal news groups.

    Brat, Jan 9, 2004
  5. Michael

    VOLDAR Guest

    Great job MARCO, and I'll come here with only two
    specifications:
    - first, before doing that, rightclick MyComputer >
    Properties > Network > advanced and write there the future
    DNS sufix (ex. microsoft.com - but I don't think you can
    use it although in the book it is - or michael.net) and
    then close everything and restart the computer.
    - second, while setting up the DNS, open a command prompt
    and type c:\ipconfig /registerdns.
    !! Remeber: you have to specify the DNS IP address in the
    TCP/IP computer configuration as being the IP address of
    your server !!(you can do that before or while setting up
    the DNS)

    And after all is done, go to each of the Forward lookup
    zones and Reverse Lookup zones and rightclick them >
    Properties and check : allow updates!
    That's all I wanted to say, and also from memory. For
    further instructions, check the book Michael :). Good
    luck!

    VOLDAR, Jan 10, 2004
  6. Michael

    Papyna.BO Guest

    At First

    Please make sure that there are no two same NETBIOS name
    on the LAN.

    The Second

    For AD,you muse have a DNS server

    Papyna.BO, Jan 10, 2004
  7. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Hi,

    Thanks for the help.
    Unfourtunatly I have not got it to work.

    ipconfig gives the reply Media State ...........:cable disconnected.

    When I ping the server name I get the ip to be 127.0.01 (when I ping this ip
    I get server unknown)
    nslookup returns the same ip and "Default server:unknown"

    This is a dual booted machine with W2K and Win2000Server.
    The nic works fine in W2k.
    I have checked the nic and it was ok, I also updated the nic driver.

    I am trying to familiarize myself with the server and have installed it and
    am just
    trying to run it offline. In other words it is not connected to anything.

    The static ip is set to 192.168.0.1,and the DNS to 192.168.1.201

    I am going out of my mind, as described in the book this is a simple task.

    Please help

    Much Obliged
    Michael

    Michael, Jan 11, 2004
  8. On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 21:38:57 +0100, "Michael" <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Thanks for the help.
    >Unfourtunatly I have not got it to work.
    >
    >ipconfig gives the reply Media State ...........:cable disconnected.
    >
    >When I ping the server name I get the ip to be 127.0.01 (when I ping this ip
    >I get server unknown)
    >nslookup returns the same ip and "Default server:unknown"
    >
    >This is a dual booted machine with W2K and Win2000Server.
    >The nic works fine in W2k.
    >I have checked the nic and it was ok, I also updated the nic driver.
    >
    >I am trying to familiarize myself with the server and have installed it and
    >am just
    >trying to run it offline. In other words it is not connected to anything.
    >
    >The static ip is set to 192.168.0.1,and the DNS to 192.168.1.201
    >
    >I am going out of my mind, as described in the book this is a simple task.
    >

    >Please help
    >
    >Much Obliged
    >Michael
    >

    >"Marko" <> wrote in message

    I found that installing an MS Loopback adapter got me round this
    problem back in 2000 until I went and bought a hub and some cables

    Once installed (even without a cable or hub) you can at least run
    DCPROMO and get off the mobious loop
    "We require rigidly defined areas of
    doubt and uncertainty!"

    Remove Vroomfondle to email me.

    Marlin (the PFY) Munrow, Jan 11, 2004
  9. Michael

    voldar Guest

    And be sure that you have a cable connected to the NIC
    (create yourself a loopback cable), your DNS will start
    working

    voldar, Jan 13, 2004