ad hoc wireless network-questions

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Tarantella, Jul 10, 2006.

  1. Tarantella

    Tarantella Guest

    Before I spend my money, I would like to get straight in my head
    how a very small home network, probably consisting of one PC
    running Windows XP or later, and one laptop runnning Windows XP
    or later, work.
    I have a Broadband cable connection.
    Will I be able to access 1) the Internet via the broadband connection
    using the laptop?
    Will I have to copy all the data from my PC's Explorer so that
    the cable supplier thinks the laptop is my PC?
    (there is a setup disc that was needed to allow the PC to use
    Broadband via NTL)
    2) will I be able to download emails using the same protocols that
    I use on my PC? How is this done? e.g. Does the laptop copy for itself
    Eudora for the purpose, or do I have to buy another copy, or
    does the laptop actuate the existing copy on my PC?
    How does the laptop use any functions or software on the PC,
    if it can do that at all.
    Does Norton AV and Network Security allow itself to be
    configured for this setup or does it require the purchase of a
    second copy for the laptop?
    In normal useage, does this setup require the PC to be left running,
    or can the laptop function without the PC? (see the above question
    on how the software is used)
    Thanks,
    --
    Tarantella
    Tarantella, Jul 10, 2006

  2. Hi

    For regular peer to peer Network topology you need a Wireless Router and one
    Wireless Card.

    For Ad-Hoc you would need two Wireless cards (No Router).

    I do not know where you are at, but giving current prices in the USA, a
    Wireless Router can be found for the same price (or few $$) as the
    additional Wireless Card.

    Ad-Hoc solution is many times “Quirky” (needs software NAT) and always
    limiting you with future expansion options.

    Ad-Hoc might also force you to use less secure Wireless configuration.
    I.e. there is No reason what so ever to use Ad-Hoc when you have a regular
    Broadband connection.

    The content of the following links will provide you with a basic tutorial
    about Sharing Internet and using Wireless; it is short and to the point:

    The three first pages were written ages ago. You might ignore the prices,
    and the specific choice of hardware, stick with the principles they are
    still the same.

    Basic Options for Internet Connection Sharing -

    Hubs, routers, switches, DSL, LANs, WANs...? -

    Wireless Principles - http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=122

    The whole thing should like this,

    http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg

    Wireless hardware: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Hardware.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jul 10, 2006

  3. Tarantella

    AJR Guest

    You can use either wired or wireless and the answer to most of your
    questions is yes/okay. I say most because in a peer-to-peer network (not
    server oriented) both computers can access the internet either individually
    through a router (as recommended by Jack) or via ICS if the computers are
    wired (ad-hoc) to each other.
    However you will be able to utilize data between computers but not run
    software on one from the other. In other words, if you have Access data on
    one computer you will require Access to be installed on both to
    interchangeably use data (data only needs to be on on computer)
    I Apologize if it is confusing - sometime I am not too clear.

    AJR, Jul 10, 2006
  4. Tarantella

    Lem Guest

    See responses in-line

    Tarantella wrote:
    > Before I spend my money, I would like to get straight in my head
    > how a very small home network, probably consisting of one PC
    > running Windows XP or later, and one laptop runnning Windows XP
    > or later, work.
    > I have a Broadband cable connection.
    > Will I be able to access 1) the Internet via the broadband connection
    > using the laptop?

    Yes
    > Will I have to copy all the data from my PC's Explorer so that
    > the cable supplier thinks the laptop is my PC?

    No. If you get a router -- and you should -- it is the router that is
    connected to your ISP. AFAIK, some cable ISPs are configured such that
    only the PC that originally was authorized to connect can connect. Most
    entry-level routers can deal with this situation by "cloning" the MAC
    address (which identifies the physical piece of hardware) so that the
    router appears to the cable company as if it were your original computer.
    > (there is a setup disc that was needed to allow the PC to use
    > Broadband via NTL)
    > 2) will I be able to download emails using the same protocols that
    > I use on my PC? How is this done? e.g. Does the laptop copy for itself
    > Eudora for the purpose, or do I have to buy another copy, or
    > does the laptop actuate the existing copy on my PC?

    Each computer must have its own copy of whatever e-mail client you like.
    There are many available for free. E-mail clients usually have an
    option either to "leave messages on server" or not to do so. If you
    leave the messages on your ISP's server, you can download the same
    messages to each PC. You eventually will have to delete them, however,
    because your ISP only allocates so much space for you. If you do not
    leave the messages on the server (the typical default), then once you
    download them to one PC, you will not be able to download them to the
    other. You can always, however, manually synchronize your e-mails by
    copying the appropriate files over your new network.
    > How does the laptop use any functions or software on the PC,
    > if it can do that at all.

    You can share files and printers between networked computers, but unless
    you use something like Remote Desktop, you can't run applications
    installed on one PC from another PC.

    > Does Norton AV and Network Security allow itself to be
    > configured for this setup or does it require the purchase of a
    > second copy for the laptop?

    See above. You will have to buy separate copies of antivirus and
    antispyware applications for each computer. Note, however, that there
    are many free a/v apps (and many in this NG who will argue that they are
    far preferable to Norton/Symantec products -- just ask).
    > In normal useage, does this setup require the PC to be left running,
    > or can the laptop function without the PC? (see the above question
    > on how the software is used)

    Because the Internet connection is through the router, only the computer
    you are using need be on in order to browse the Internet. On the other
    hand, you can't access files that reside on a computer unless that
    computer is turned on. The same goes for printers physically attached
    to that computer.
    Lem, Jul 10, 2006
  5. Hello, I have a very similar setup question.

    I have a WinXP desktop connecting directly to a cable modem, which is in
    turn connected to a broadband service. This setup is working fine.

    I'd like to create an adh-hoc network so that my laptop, which I very
    infrequently bring home, can transfer files mainly, and can also be used
    (ideally) to connect to the internet using the ICS features of XP.

    To this end I installed a wireless NIC in the desktop, and configured it in
    ad-hoc mode. I have created a the ad-hoc network, and both members of the
    network state that they are connected at 54Mbps, no problem there.

    However, even though subnet for both wireless adapters is 255.255.255.0 and
    they are set to manually use IP addresses of 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2
    respectively, and I can happily ping localhost or the 'local' wireless
    adapter, I cannot ping the other computer across the ad-hoc network.

    Any suggestions?
    Thank you kindly,
    Elliott.
    =?Utf-8?B?ZWxsaW90dA==?=, Jul 11, 2006