    connection between my PC and my printer.

    I'd appreciate someone's input.

    THX
    =?Utf-8?B?dGNhaGlsbA==?=, Jan 12, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?dGNhaGlsbA==?=

    TW Guest

    "tcahill" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I want to connect my desktop PC which is running XP Home SP2, to my printer
    > wirelessly. Can I do this without using a router? I think I read that I
    > can
    > use Ad Hoc wireless mode to do this. So I assume that I need only a
    > wireless
    > PCI adapter for my PC and a wireless Print server for my printer. Is this
    > correct? I'm not trying to construct a LAN, I just want to create a
    > wireless
    > connection between my PC and my printer.
    >
    > I'd appreciate someone's input.
    >
    > THX

    I use a D-Link DP311P wireless print server.
    I just checked the wireless settings and one of the settings is Ad Hoc Peer
    to Peer, so with this model it should be possible, but I use a wireless
    router for my network and have never checked to see if Ad Hoc mode works.
    TW, Jan 12, 2005

  3. Greetings,

    Barb Bowman has written a page on how to create an Ad Hoc wireles network
    without a router. Please see the following link.

    Making the Wireless Home Network Connection in Windows XP Without a Router

    _________________
    Eric Cross
    Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    Eric Cross [MVP], Jan 12, 2005
  4. Just to answer your question. YES you can.

    Robert Jacobs, Jan 12, 2005
  5. Thanks, I think I can figure out how to do it, I just wanted to make sure it
    was possible before I started.

    TC

    =?Utf-8?B?dGNhaGlsbA==?=, Jan 13, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?dGNhaGlsbA==?=

    gn Guest

    Yes I read Barb's article but I have a AT&T modem which I use to connect to
    internet ..But it has a DHCP server which has an IP address as 192.168.0.1
    and when I try to enable the ICS it reports a conflict.. which is why i'm not
    happy with both MS and AT&T ... On the web i read that its not possible, if
    this is the case ! I want to ask both MS and AT&T if there is a workaround !
    I hope somebody helps !

    gn, Mar 10, 2008
  7. =?Utf-8?B?dGNhaGlsbA==?=

    Lem Guest

    The base IP address used by Windows ICS is 192.168.0.1 and can not be
    changed. Thus if there is already a device on your network (such as
    your AT&T "modem") that uses that address, you'll have problems). But
    you don't want to use ICS anyway if all you want to do is connect your
    printer wirelessly (ICS = Internet Connection Sharing). Connect your
    printer is NOT sharing the Internet with it.

    Buy a USB or PCI WiFi adapter (if you get a PCI adapter, be sure to get
    one with a detachable antenna, so that your antenna isn't stuck down
    behind your computer case). Configure both the adapter and the wireless
    print server to be in ad hoc mode. For faster connection, set them to
    have static IP addresses (e.g., 192.168.2.20 and 192.168.2.25).

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Mar 11, 2008
  8. =?Utf-8?B?dGNhaGlsbA==?=

    gn Guest

    Ok I think something is wrong here! I'm not at all trying to connect my
    printer to internet ! Or may be I posted my note at a wrong place. I
    apologize for that.

    So let me explain what 'm I trying to do:

    I just bought a new laptop. And now I want to access internet on this new
    laptop. I also have my old laptop which is connected to internet using a AT&T
    modem. (This is the modem which has this IP address 192.168.0.1 and is wired)
    I was just wondering if I can use this ICS and avoid the need to buy a new
    wireless router. So far I have been able to connect both the laptops
    wirelessly but could not share the internet connection which is what I want..

    Thanks!

    gn, Mar 11, 2008
  9. =?Utf-8?B?dGNhaGlsbA==?=

    Lem Guest

    Your first problem is that you posted as a continuation of someone
    else's question. *That* person wanted to create an ad hoc wireless
    connection between his computer and his printer.

    You should *always* ask a new question in a *new* post with a
    descriptive subject.

    In any case, if you read the first two sentences of my earlier response,
    you'll see that you (probably) can't do what you want with the equipment
    you have.

    The "probably" depends on exactly what the "AT&T modem" that you have
    actually is. What make and model is it? How many ports (places where
    you can connect an Ethernet cable) does it have?

    Your description of how your equipment is connected is confusing.

    To what is the "modem" wired?
    To what is the old laptop connected wirelessly when you can get to the 'Net?
    To what is the new laptop connected wirelessly when you can get to the 'Net?

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Mar 11, 2008
  10. Hi
    It might be that what you call an ATT Modem is actually a Modem/Router
    combo.
    If this is the case and the device has only one port you probably can
    connect it to a switch and connect both computers to the switch.
    I.e no need for ICS and second Routing.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Mar 11, 2008