ad hoc windows network, it all works but the sharing services part

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by pantagruel, Sep 16, 2007.

  1. pantagruel

    pantagruel Guest

    Hi,

    I'm unfortunately between routers and probably wont have the time to
    go get one and set it up before next weekend. I've run through the
    various tutorials such as this one http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/adhoc.mspx
    several times now. And I guess something is subtly different in the
    way things are stated to work and the way they actually do work.

    first off, if I create an ad hoc network on computer x and set it as
    being an ad hoc network and remove all but ad hoc networks from my
    Wireless network connection -> properties -> Wireless Networks :
    Preferred Networks, it all seems to work. IF I click ok and go to
    another computer I can see this network as a wireless network. I can
    connect to it with the password. What I can't do is then turn on the
    browser in the other computer and then get on the internet. So it is
    not of much use.

    On the Wireless network connection icon it shows the network on the
    computer that is providing the connection as being Not Connected. This
    seems sort of strange, if I am making my computer a server for an ad
    hoc wireless network why should it try to connect to itself?

    One reason why I don't want to just try to let Windows create one for
    me is that some of the computers that need to connect will be Mac.

    pantagruel, Sep 16, 2007

  2. pantagruel

    pantagruel Guest

    On Sep 16, 11:33 am, pantagruel <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm unfortunately between routers and probably wont have the time to
    > go get one and set it up before next weekend. I've run through the
    > various tutorials such as this onehttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/adhoc.mspx
    > several times now. And I guess something is subtly different in the
    > way things are stated to work and the way they actually do work.
    >
    > first off, if I create an ad hoc network on computer x and set it as
    > being an ad hoc network and remove all but ad hoc networks from my
    > Wireless network connection -> properties -> Wireless Networks :
    > Preferred Networks, it all seems to work. IF I click ok and go to
    > another computer I can see this network as a wireless network. I can
    > connect to it with the password. What I can't do is then turn on the
    > browser in the other computer and then get on the internet. So it is
    > not of much use.
    >
    > On the Wireless network connection icon it shows the network on the
    > computer that is providing the connection as being Not Connected. This
    > seems sort of strange, if I am making my computer a server for an ad
    > hoc wireless network why should it try to connect to itself?
    >
    > One reason why I don't want to just try to let Windows create one for
    > me is that some of the computers that need to connect will be Mac.

    I have it so that it says the wireless is connected now - on the
    computer that is providing the connection. The other computers also
    say they are connected but unfortunately they aren't able to get past
    that step.

    pantagruel, Sep 16, 2007

  3. Hi
    Ad-Hoc covers the Wireless aspect.
    However since you do not have a Router you have to use Windows software
    Routing to share the Internet.
    Instructions here, http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Sep 16, 2007