    continuously.
    How should I solve this problem?
    Many thanks for any guidance.

    =?Utf-8?B?RHIuIFBhc3Rvcg==?=, Jun 12, 2007

  2. Hi
    The best solution would be getting an Access Point (or a Wireless Cable/DSL
    Router if Internet is involved). Ad- Hoc solution is many time quirky and
    not very safe (Most Ad- Hoc is limited to WEP).
    Giving the prices of Wireless Routers there is no point to be "tortured"
    Ad-Hoc peculiarities.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jun 12, 2007

  3. Thank you for your reply.
    Sadly, I must have ad hoc WiFi.
    It will be used infrequently and no internet will be used.
    Could you recommend any specific document
    to guide me?

    =?Utf-8?B?RHIuIFBhc3Rvcg==?=, Jun 12, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?RHIuIFBhc3Rvcg==?=

    Lem Guest

    Dr. Pastor wrote:
    > Thank you for your reply.
    > Sadly, I must have ad hoc WiFi.
    > It will be used infrequently and no internet will be used.
    > Could you recommend any specific document
    > to guide me?

    A little dated, but the basic principles are still the same:

    As Jack noted, ad hoc wireless networks are not very secure, so use it
    for what you need to do and then disable it.

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    Lem, Jun 12, 2007
  5. =?Utf-8?B?RHIuIFBhc3Rvcg==?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    I'm not having much luck getting agreements to edit this to include
    a disclaimer that 5 years ago, there weren't instant WEP hacking
    tools available, etc.

    2002 is a different era.

    On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 14:17:04 -0400, Lem <> wrote:

    >Dr. Pastor wrote:
    >> Thank you for your reply.
    >> Sadly, I must have ad hoc WiFi.
    >> It will be used infrequently and no internet will be used.
    >> Could you recommend any specific document
    >> to guide me?
    >>

    >A little dated, but the basic principles are still the same:
    >http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.mspx
    >
    >As Jack noted, ad hoc wireless networks are not very secure, so use it
    >for what you need to do and then disable it.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

    Barb Bowman, Jun 12, 2007
  6. Yap, I use to link a lot to the page. I now find myself double thinking
    before using it because of the security issue.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jun 12, 2007
  7. Thank you Sir.
    Thank you Mademoiselle.

    =?Utf-8?B?RHIuIFBhc3Rvcg==?=, Jun 12, 2007
  8. =?Utf-8?B?RHIuIFBhc3Rvcg==?=

    Lem Guest

    Maybe we should just say that if they insist on using ad hoc wifi, they
    should make sure that all nodes are inside a Faraday cage. See
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120660/ for details.

    Lem, Jun 12, 2007
  9. =?Utf-8?B?RHIuIFBhc3Rvcg==?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    routers are sooooooooo cheap.

    >>> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

    Barb Bowman, Jun 12, 2007
  10. =?Utf-8?B?RHIuIFBhc3Rvcg==?=

    pico Hat Guest

    When it says Wifi of B shows "Acquiring network address" continuously. It means this B box does not successful acquire the IP address. I think you have set to acquire IP address automatically on this PC. Manually set the IP and other network info on this PC should be able to solve this problem.

    Also check any firewall (Windows fireall, Antivirus firewall) installed on PC and you should temporary disable this feature till you solve the problem.

    Quick link:
    Setting Up Ad Hoc Wireless Network in Windows XP
    http://www.home-network-help.com/ad-hoc-wireless-network.html

    Good luck..

    http://www.eggheadcafe.com

    pico Hat, Jun 20, 2007
  12. =?Utf-8?B?RHIuIFBhc3Rvcg==?=

    vv Guest

    limitations of adhoc mode

    you described a typical situation when an in-the-middle ad-hoc node does not forward packets back and forth.
    Daihinia solves exactly this problem, please see at http://daihinia.com

    vv, Aug 23, 2010