    host unreachable" while trying to ping the other way says "request timed out"

    Something is really not working here, but I don't know how to fix it or even
    what's wrong. Anyone have any suggestions?
    =?Utf-8?B?RGFuaWVsLlN0dWQ=?=, Feb 18, 2007

  2. Hi
    The computer with the 169.254.17.124. is not connected to any thing. This is
    an IP number that is given by default when their is No source (DHCP) server
    to give an IP. If one computer IP is 192.168.0.1, the second one has to be
    something like 192.168.0.2
    May be this can Help,
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 18, 2007

  3. Thanks for the website; that's what I've been following to get this far. It
    just doesn't have much in the way of troubleshooting.

    As for the IP address issue, now there's a new situation. I scrapped the old
    ad hoc network and started a new one with a WEP encription, and now the
    computer that wasn't getting an address before has 192.168.0.139, and can be
    pinged from the other computer. However, it still cannot ping the other
    computer, and can't get on the internet. Still lost... thanks!

    =?Utf-8?B?RGFuaWVsLlN0dWQ=?=, Feb 18, 2007