    the second computer fails to connect to the wlan

    could this be a problem with the IP adress? or something else

    many thanks

    Stef, Aug 29, 2004

  2. Stef

    Li'l Roberto Guest

    "Stef" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > im trying to set up an ad hoc network between two XP computers. there
    > are alot of problems and im trying to analyze it step by step
    >
    > on the host computer, the wireless icon in the taskbar tells me:
    > connected to network "myssidname". there is no red cross over the icon
    > and the network connections menu also tells me it is connected - all
    > good
    >
    > however, under "activity" it says 0 packets sent and 0 packets
    > received
    >
    > the second computer fails to connect to the wlan
    >
    > could this be a problem with the IP adress? or something else
    >
    > many thanks

    run ipconfig from a cmd window and check that both machines have correct
    IP address's, then try ping from either machine.
    If no luck with ping you may have something blocking - do you have a
    software firewall installed ?.

    rgds
    Li'l Roberto

    Li'l Roberto, Aug 30, 2004

  3. Stef

    Stef Guest

    both machines are in the same range (254.196.XXX.XXX). sygate and win
    xp firewalls are disabled, pinging results in a time out from both
    machines.

    what puzzles me is that one machine has a fully green signal and
    packets are being sent, but the other machine signal is completely
    grey and doesn send or receive packets

    any more ideas?

    Stef, Aug 30, 2004