Ad Hoc Problem: ping works, nothing else does!

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?a2F2YVh0cmVtZQ==?=, Dec 2, 2004.

  1. I've just killed a day trying to get this to work, so any help would be
    appreciated!

    I'm trying to connect two computers (desktop and laptop) via wireless ad
    hoc. I can ping both IPs without problem, but cannot browse the network, use
    shared internet (though the laptop see that it has been shared), or use
    shares. I have tried it with and without firewalls and WEP. Nothing seems to
    make any difference. Sometimes (rarely) I can browse and see shares, but just
    as quickly they fail again.

    The desktop is connected using Netgear's WG121 Wireless USB 2.0 adapter.
    Desktop settings:
    IP: 192.168.0.1
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0

    Laptop settings:
    IP 192.168.0.2
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway 192.168.0.1

    For both computers:
    LMHOSTS is disabled
    NetBIOS is enabled

    I've tried every possible combination I could think of and scoured the
    Internet for HOURS!

    Oh yes, I had both computers on a wired, hubless network just before I tried
    switching and everything seemed to be working fine.

    Hoping someone out there has the "magic" answer...
    =?Utf-8?B?a2F2YVh0cmVtZQ==?=, Dec 2, 2004