Ad Hoc or Acces Point

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Pete Kennedy, Apr 21, 2005.

  1. Pete Kennedy

    Pete Kennedy Guest

    Hi,

    I already have a 3-PC wired network which works perfectly. Now I need to
    complicate my life a little and want to venture into the world of wireless
    networking. Actually, this has come about because I've just ordered a new
    Centrino laptop so it makes sens to take advantage of its wireless
    networking feature. For the other 2 PCs, I have purchased wirelss cards, one
    for the curent host and one for the old laptop. I was also going to buy
    either an acces point or a DSL modem/router when I saw on Practically
    Networked that the network cards can communicate between each other ("Ad
    Hoc") without an access point or router.

    Now, this seems too good to be true so I wonder whether anyone could advise
    me of the pros and cons of doing this or give me a link to a site with the
    right info.

    Also, would setting up a wireless LAN in this way (or any other way for the
    mattter) upset the existing wired network settings, ie if I foul up the new
    wireless LAN, would I be able to go back to the wired LAN, or would the new
    LAN overwrite the old ?

    Thanks

    --
    Peter Kennedy
    ------------------------

    Pete Kennedy, Apr 21, 2005

  2. Pete Kennedy

    DLink Guru Guest

    An AD-HOC network will only work between two wireless computers, so what you
    want to do will not work. The easiest thing for you to do would be to
    purchase a wireless router and connect your DSL modem into the Router. This
    will automate everything for you as much as possible.

    I would advise against purchasing a all-in-one dsl modem/router because if
    one part fails in the future then you will be SOL.

    As far as your LAN settings, they will be fine as your wired NICs will not
    be used in your wireless network.

    Robert.....

    DLink Guru, Apr 21, 2005

  3. you are going to be workign in what is called a star topology
    http://doit.ort.org/course/networks/30.htm

    The introduction of wireless will not in any way interfear with your current
    setup other than adding wireless capabilities. I suggest getting yourself a
    wireless router, and depending on your household or environmental arrangement
    you will need to decide how strong a signal you need (as most routers do not
    have very good signal strength

    it is pretty easy to set up a wireless network. I know i say it a lot but
    the best program for helping beginners with a network is Network Magic...

    if you want to share an internet connection over it, and ytou want the
    Internet to work even when the computer your router is connected to is off
    you may want to look at something like DSL-604+

    Hope that helps

    Cheers

    Quintin
    MVP wannabe

    =?Utf-8?B?UXVpbnRpbg==?=, Apr 21, 2005
  4. Pete Kennedy

    Pete Kennedy Guest

    Thanks for your quick response ! So wireless ad hoc is the equivalent of a
    wired crossover cable connection ?

    Microsoft appears to give the impression that several computers can be
    linked via an ad hoc connection. See the last paragraph on the following
    page
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.
    mspx?pf=true

    I thought it had something to do with the quality of the connection. Anyway,
    if an access point is what I need, I'd better go for it !

    Thanks

    Peter

    Pete Kennedy, Apr 21, 2005
  5. Pete Kennedy

    DLink Guru Guest

    Yes...An AD-HOC network is the wireless equivelant of two computers
    connected via crossover cable. The article does seem to suggest it, but it
    does not work that way, sorry...... There is a way to turn an Ad-HOC network
    into what is calles a MANET. check this link out.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_ad-hoc_network#What_is_MANET.3F

    DLink Guru, Apr 21, 2005
  6. Pete Kennedy

    Pete Kennedy Guest

    Thanks,

    However, by going for a dsl modem/router, aren't I putting all my eggs into
    the same basket ? Some appear to advise a separate access point. Also, I've
    heard the wireless signal from routers is weak compared to APs. Its all a
    little confusing.....

    Cheers

    Peter

    news: ...

    Pete Kennedy, Apr 21, 2005
  7. Pete Kennedy

    TW Guest

    I use a D-Link DI624 wireless router and my signal reaches across the street
    and down three houses. Low signal at that range, but still a usable
    connection. Would that be enough signal strength for you? It includes four
    wired ports so you can replace the hub or switch on your network.
    Also a router includes a firewall and many other features not found on an
    AP. Routers are usually cheaper than APs.

    TW, Apr 21, 2005
  8. Pete Kennedy

    Pete Kennedy Guest

    Thanks,

    I already have a software firewall that works really well. I've heard
    routers cans mess things up - some applications get get through. As for
    cost, this'll be set against the company's expenses anyway (I have a small
    home-based business). I'm looking for simplicity really - originally setting
    up the wired LAN was hell. I don't want to go through that again!

    Cheers

    Peter

    Pete Kennedy, Apr 21, 2005
  9. Pete Kennedy

    Jack \(MVP\) Guest

    Hi

    There are a lot of stories. Most coming from people who do not know what they do or and
    do not care to learn, or and afraid of changes.

    Basically if the Hardware that you buy is a good Windows compatible hardware all of the
    concern that you mentioned are None issue.

    Connection Diagram: http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg

    Wireless - - http://www.ezlan.net/#Wireless

    Cable/DSL Routers, NAT & Ports - http://www.ezlan.net/routers1.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).