    If anybody knows about this, please respond.

    thx,

    ((&->
    QuasiCodo, Mar 28, 2007

  2. Hi
    It should work in Ad-Hoc Mode.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Mar 28, 2007

  3. Jack,

    That is not the correct answer, the answer is "it depends" because Ad-hoc in
    802.11a is not a part of the IEEE specification. Of course not being a part
    of the base specification does not stop 802.11 chipset providers from adding
    the functionalilty to their chipsets. But what it does do is reduce the
    possibility that two 802.11 chipset providers implemented the functionality
    is such a way that it interoperates with Ad-Hoc implementation... or that
    those chipsets support it at all. And more specifically there are no WiFi
    Alliance tests that test Ad-hoc in 802.11a.

    Because of this Microsoft has put 802.11 Ad-hoc functionality in Vista, but
    in testing interoperable issues have been found between devices from
    different companies... because there are no interoperable tests for the
    chipset providers to run. As time goes the situation gets better as the
    various companies are told about the problems in Vista and are able to
    obtain software and devices from the other chipset companies.

    Phil Doragh

    Philip Doragh, Mar 29, 2007
  4. QuasiCodo

    QuasiCodo Guest

    Thanks for the detail. It does clear up some of the issue.

    What I have is an Atheros 5006 running on a WINCE 5.0 platform. I
    updated the ar5210.reg file to have the device use the a band, channel
    36 when an ad hoc network is created. This works fine and the sniffer
    shows the CE device beaconing on channel 36. However, when I change the
    channel to 52, things go wrong. The sniffer shows that the CE device
    still beaconing on channel 36 instead of 52 (strange).

    A coworker of mine suggested that this was probably due to regulatory
    constraints and when setting the ad hoc band to a, it probably just
    ignores the channel setting and defaults to 36 always.

    I'd be interested to see if Vista allows you to set the specific channel
    in the a band or if it too limits ad hoc on the a band to channel 36.

    ((&->

    QuasiCodo, Mar 29, 2007