    dos command which lists the shares on a machine, but can't remember the
    command. This might point to the problem.

    , Apr 9, 2006

  2. Try:

    On library create a new user account which exactly matches the the user name
    and password used to log onto the Win98 machine. You do not have to log on
    with the new account - just create it.

    The IPC$ share is hidden. On an XP machine you can see it by right clicking
    My Computer and selecting Manage. Expand Shared Folders and click on
    Shares. See:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314984/en-us

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    <> wrote in message
    > I've set up a mixed wireless ad hoc network at my church between two PC's
    > and a laptop, using linksys access point, 5 port switch and usb wireless
    > cards on one PC and the laptop. The two PC's run XP Pro and the laptop

    runs
    > 98. The problem is with the laptop accessing one of the PCs. I get a
    > message saying //library/IPC$ needs password to connect. It accesses the
    > other PC fine.
    >
    > There is no IPC share on any machine, or any directory or device named

    IPC.
    > Both PCs can connect to the laptop. I've been over everything several

    times

    Doug Sherman [MVP], Apr 10, 2006

  3. Guest

    Thank you Doug, that worked perfectly.