    what procedure to follow.
    From my preliminary research I gather that I need to set up the print server
    with a static IP (connected to laptop w/ crossover), then configure each
    laptop to connect to the print server via Ad Hoc mode. Does anyone have a
    clear step by step approach to this type of setup?

    Also, I wanted to know if I will need to manually switch between
    Infrastructure and Ad Hoc modes depending on whether I am working with my
    laptop in the mobile office or at home with a wireless network. Will the
    Windows "Wireless Networks" dialog automatically recognize available
    connections?

    Thanks for any information,
    Matt
    =?Utf-8?B?TWF0dA==?=, Aug 16, 2005

  2. The available networks dialogue will list available wireless adhoc networks.
    You can simply select the network and input the required security
    information.

    Adhoc networks are meant to be temporary connections. The security offered
    for adhoc modes is very minimal. Some wireless adapters are also
    incompatible with each other. General performance and definitely throughput
    is greatly enhanced with the use of an access point.

    --
    Jerry Peterson
    Windows Network Services - Wireless

    Jerry Peterson[MSFT], Aug 18, 2005