Ad Hoc ICS Problem - PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?SmFja01jQ2Fycm9u?=, Jun 16, 2005.

  1. Trying to set up ad hoc network between my two laptops to support both file
    sharing and internet connection sharing (ICS). I've tried everything I can
    think of, but can't get the ICS working. File sharing works most of the time.
    Here's the backgound:

    Both Toshiba laptops running WinXP home edition, SP2.
    One has built in wireless adapter (Atheros AR5004G),
    Other has PCMCIA card (Belkin wireless G notebook card F5D7010).

    I did Netword Setup Wizard on host, setting it as the unit connected to the
    internet via AOL dialup.
    I set up the second unit as the client to share the internet from the host
    computer.
    I enabled file sharing on both computers.
    I used the same SSID name on both computers.
    I set TCP/IP on both to obtain IP and DNS addresses automatically. (Is this
    correct?)
    IP address of host: 192.168.0.1
    IP address of client: 192.168.0.60 (or other 192.168.0.*)
    Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
    Subnet Masks: 255.255.255.0
    Ping times (both ways) 1ms or less (usually)

    Internet works fine on host computer. Client always shows "Page cannot be
    displayed" (on IE6). Watching Tx and Rx packets on host (using Belkins
    wireless card utility), can see RX packets slowly moving up when I try to
    refresh web page on client. Little or no TX response. Refresh just shows
    "Page cannot be displayed" again.

    The Belkin card seems to use 6 as the default channel (US), but doesn't work
    very well causing long ping times. Resetting to channel 11 works much better.
    It sometimes jumps back to channel 6. Don't know why.

    I have read and followed the steps in "Making the Wireless Home Network
    Connection in Windows XP Without a Router" (Published: April 8, 2002 by Barb
    Bowman, Expert Zone Columnist.
    (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.mspx?pf=true)
    She sort of says "do this...then it works" - but it doesn't!

    What am I doing wrong???
    Thanks,
    Jack.
    =?Utf-8?B?SmFja01jQ2Fycm9u?=, Jun 16, 2005

  2. In article <>,
    JackMcCarron <> wrote:
    >Trying to set up ad hoc network between my two laptops to support both file
    >sharing and internet connection sharing (ICS). I've tried everything I can
    >think of, but can't get the ICS working. File sharing works most of the time.
    >Here's the backgound:
    >
    >Both Toshiba laptops running WinXP home edition, SP2.
    >One has built in wireless adapter (Atheros AR5004G),
    >Other has PCMCIA card (Belkin wireless G notebook card F5D7010).
    >
    >I did Netword Setup Wizard on host, setting it as the unit connected to the
    >internet via AOL dialup.
    >I set up the second unit as the client to share the internet from the host
    >computer.
    >I enabled file sharing on both computers.
    >I used the same SSID name on both computers.
    >I set TCP/IP on both to obtain IP and DNS addresses automatically. (Is this
    >correct?)
    >IP address of host: 192.168.0.1
    >IP address of client: 192.168.0.60 (or other 192.168.0.*)
    >Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
    >Subnet Masks: 255.255.255.0
    >Ping times (both ways) 1ms or less (usually)
    >
    >Internet works fine on host computer. Client always shows "Page cannot be
    >displayed" (on IE6). Watching Tx and Rx packets on host (using Belkins
    >wireless card utility), can see RX packets slowly moving up when I try to
    >refresh web page on client. Little or no TX response. Refresh just shows
    >"Page cannot be displayed" again.
    >
    >The Belkin card seems to use 6 as the default channel (US), but doesn't work
    >very well causing long ping times. Resetting to channel 11 works much better.
    >It sometimes jumps back to channel 6. Don't know why.
    >
    >I have read and followed the steps in "Making the Wireless Home Network
    >Connection in Windows XP Without a Router" (Published: April 8, 2002 by Barb
    >Bowman, Expert Zone Columnist.
    >(http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.mspx?pf=true)
    >She sort of says "do this...then it works" - but it doesn't!
    >
    >What am I doing wrong???
    >Thanks,
    >Jack.

    I'm sorry, but it isn't possible to share an AOL dial-up connection
    using ICS, due to the way that AOL designed its software.

    Here's a free proxy server program that runs on Windows XP and can let
    other computers access the Internet through an AOL dial-up connection:

    AnalogX Proxy
    http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/proxy.htm

    The other computers won't be able to log into AOL, because AOL only
    allows one screen name to log in at a time. They'll be able to use
    other Internet programs, like Internet Explorer, email programs, news
    readers, etc.

    NOTE: To protect your network and prevent malicious use by Internet
    hackers, read and follow the suggestions in the following message that
    appears when you run AnalogX:

    WARNING - Proxy is currently running in an open state!

    The proxy server is currently running in an open state, which
    should only be used when you initially install the proxy server or
    if you are attempting to verify that everything is configured
    properly. Please read the security section of the documentation
    for information on how to secure the proxy once it is successfully
    configured - when it is running in a closed state this message will
    no longer appear. When the proxy is running in an open state, it
    is visible to other computers on the Internet and could potentially
    be used by spammers or other Internet users to mask their
    activities.
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    Steve Winograd [MVP], Jun 17, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?SmFja01jQ2Fycm9u?=

    marschbella

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Problem with wireless ad hoc networking and ics

    I have a similar problem where I am unable to share an internet connection (wireless bband) between 2 computers using wireless ad hoc networking but can if I use a wired ethernet connection.
    The host computer (one connected to the internet) is a new Toshiba laptop running Vista Home premium and the client computer is an Asus laptop running XP Home.
    I have been through all the MS setup and config. bulletins and believe it should work but notice that when I select internet sharing on the host that 'wireless' is not an option. Is this the problem and do I need to download a patch or something for the Toshiba (it is only 6 mnths old) or is there something I have missed in the config. It works fine if I connect the 2 computers together via wired ethernet and setup an network. I am using 02 broadband wireless in the Czech Republic but don't think that is the problem as it works fine in wired mode. Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers!
    marschbella, Nov 3, 2008