    replicated to both DCs through AD? Or, is it that I need
    to setup DNS on both DC and setup an AD integrated DNS
    zone for it to replicate between the two DCs?

    anthony gatto, Feb 12, 2004

  2. anthony gatto

    Dan Guest

    If you want to replicate the DNS records then you,
    obviously, need at least two DNS servers to transfer the
    data between. A DNS server can't, and won't even attempt
    to, replicate data to itself even if it is AD integrated.

    Dan, Feb 12, 2004

  3. anthony gatto

    Kerberos Guest

    A DNS Active Directory zone is replicated to ALL domain controllers regardless of whether DNS is installed on them - it is part of normal replication. HOWEVER, in order for a server to answer DNS queries, the DNS service must be installed on the server

    So the short answer to your question is no , you will not have to setup DNS on the other DC for DNS to be replicated.----- Samantha Hyatt wrote: ----

    "I have two DC running Server 2000 and setup an AD
    >integrated DNS zone and DHCP on one of the DC. Will I
    >need to setup DNS on the other DC or will DNS be
    >replicated to both DCs through AD? Or, is it that I

    need
    >to setup DNS on both DC and setup an AD integrated DNS
    >zone for it to replicate between the two DCs?

    DNS Can't be Active Directory Integrated without there being 2 servers. So, to answer your question..... you need to set up 2 AD Integrated DNS Zones on separate servers in order for them to replicate to each other.

    --
    Samantha Hyat

    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us."
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerso

    Kerberos, Feb 17, 2004
  4. anthony gatto

    Kevin Guest

    You need to have two DNS servers. I am asuming that the on
    you currently have is the primary. You need to install and
    configure the second DC as the secondary DNS server.

    Kevin, Mar 5, 2004