    ad-aware?
    Thank you
    Kendra

    kendra, Oct 9, 2003

  2. kendra

    Harrison Guest

    It sounds as though you did successfully run it right up to the point
    where you're supposed to remove the garbage.
    Check for updates before scanning
    Once scanning has completed, leave everything checked and check
    anything that wasn't checked automatically.
    Then click Next and OK.
    These registry entries were made by the parasitic software which was
    found on your computer.

    Also, download, update and run Spybot Search and Destroy and Spyware
    Blaster.

    Generic copy and paste:

    Disable Windows Messenger Service:
    This IS NOT the same as MSN Messenger and it will not affect your
    ability to chat with friends.
    ____________________
    Click Start > Run and type "services.msc" (no quotes) click OK

    In the right pane, scroll down to Messenger.

    Double click Messenger and click the General tab.

    Under Service Status: click the Stop button.

    In the Startup Type: drop down box, select Disable.

    Click Apply and OK.

    ____________________

    Download, install, update, and run the following programs:
    Adaware - http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    Spybot Search and Destroy - http://security.kolla.de/
    Spyware Blaster - http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html

    The first two find and root out spyware, adware, hijackers, and
    dialers.
    The second one will protect your system from further infection by such
    diseases.

    Harrison, Oct 9, 2003

  3. kendra

    Surfer Don Guest

    Unless you recognize an application and want to keep it like Weathercast
    (the only one I keep) remove it. I have never had a problem deleting
    everything that ad-aware finds. If you have a long list your computer is
    under attack. GET RID OF THAT CRAP!

    Surfer Don, Oct 9, 2003
  4. kendra

    Brian H¹© Guest

    kendra said:

    > Hello experts (no comment please Slumpy)
    > I went into a computer store to get advice about my excruciatingly slow
    > laptop. I was told to put as many of my files as possible on disc-so I did.
    > And to increase my ram which I will.
    > I was also advised to run ad-aware. I did that too but after it scanned my
    > computer, it came up with a huge list of ticked boxes that I was supposed to
    > make a decision about. I don't know half of what the ticked things are and
    > some of them (if I remember correctly) are on the regedit file which I never
    > touch unless I get specific instructions on what exactly to do from
    > yourselves. Is there some really simple thing I can do to successfully run
    > ad-aware?
    > Thank you
    > Kendra

    You can almost guarantee that whatever Ad-Aware found can be deleted.
    There are/were some exceptions, for instance Borland Database Engine (BDE) was
    getting removed along with BDE the spyware.

    Brian H¹©, Oct 9, 2003
  5. kendra

    Patrick Guest

    Harrison wrote:
    > It sounds as though you did successfully run it right up to the point
    > where you're supposed to remove the garbage.
    > Check for updates before scanning
    > Once scanning has completed, leave everything checked and check
    > anything that wasn't checked automatically.

    Surely you don't recommend ticking *everything* (usage tracks, logs etc.,)
    !!

    Patrick, Oct 9, 2003
  6. kendra

    Harrison Guest

    I surely do.
    Adaware only searches for and removes software which has proven itself
    to be underhanded in one fashion or another.
    If a program doesn't work afterwards, then uninstall it and find a
    more legitimate replacement for it.
    This crap uses your internet connection and feeds you banners and ads.

    Harrison, Oct 9, 2003
  7. kendra

    Patrick Guest

    Harrison wrote:
    > I surely do.
    > Adaware only searches for and removes software which has proven itself
    > to be underhanded in one fashion or another.
    > If a program doesn't work afterwards, then uninstall it and find a
    > more legitimate replacement for it.
    > This crap uses your internet connection and feeds you banners and ads.

    Sorry Harrison, my mistake, I was thinking of 'Spybot S&D'

    Patrick, Oct 9, 2003
  8. kendra

    kendra Guest

    Thank you everyone.Ad-aware has identified 179 objects! No wonder my laptop
    was so slow!!
    Unfortunately, this time NONE of them are checked. Maybe it's because I ran
    it before and did nothing about it. I recognise none of them. Can I check
    and delete them all?
    Thanx
    Kendra

    kendra, Oct 9, 2003
  9. kendra

    Boomer Guest

    kendra wrote:

    > Hello experts (no comment please Slumpy)
    > I went into a computer store to get advice about my
    > excruciatingly slow laptop. I was told to put as many of my
    > files as possible on disc-so I did. And to increase my ram which
    > I will. I was also advised to run ad-aware. I did that too but
    > after it scanned my computer, it came up with a huge list of
    > ticked boxes that I was supposed to make a decision about. I
    > don't know half of what the ticked things are and some of them
    > (if I remember correctly) are on the regedit file which I never
    > touch unless I get specific instructions on what exactly to do
    > from yourselves. Is there some really simple thing I can do to
    > successfully run ad-aware?
    > Thank you
    > Kendra

    Hello

    Could you please adjust your Clock/Time Zone settings?
    You are posting from the past.

    For Windows :
    1. Double click the time in the lower right corner of the system
    tray.
    2. In the dialog box that pops up select the *Time Zone* tab.
    3. Use the drop down menu to select the correct entry for "your" TIME
    ZONE.
    Check "Automatically adjust clock for daylight saving changes
    4. Also, Check the box marked Daylight Savings Time.
    5. Then click OK to save it.

    ~Further information at the site below.~
    http://www.visi.com/~barr/timezone.html

    Thank You Very Much :)

    Boomer, Oct 9, 2003
  10. kendra

    Brian H¹© Guest

    kendra said:

    > Thank you everyone.Ad-aware has identified 179 objects! No wonder my laptop
    > was so slow!!
    > Unfortunately, this time NONE of them are checked. Maybe it's because I ran
    > it before and did nothing about it. I recognise none of them. Can I check
    > and delete them all?

    Those boxes shouldn't be checked (ticked) by the software, as it is an option
    for you to choose.
    Yes, tick the box(es) and remove the spyware.

    Brian H¹©, Oct 9, 2003
  11. kendra

    Kendra Kay Guest

    Will do
    Merci
    Kendra

    Kendra Kay, Oct 9, 2003
  12. kendra

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Kendra Kay said:

    > Will do
    > Merci

    Pas de quoi ;-)

    Brian H¹©, Oct 9, 2003
  13. kendra

    Patrick Guest

    kendra wrote:
    > Thank you everyone.Ad-aware has identified 179 objects! No wonder my
    > laptop was so slow!!
    > Unfortunately, this time NONE of them are checked. Maybe it's
    > because I ran it before and did nothing about it. I recognise none of
    > them. Can I check and delete them all?
    > Thanx
    > Kendra

    (right-click option, 'Select all'),
    iether delete them all (I would do), or if not sure then quarantine them
    instead (delete them later from quarantine, if nothing shows wrong).

    However, if you use 'Spybot S&D' then be advised that Ad-Aware may see
    SpybotS&D's backups as Adware, so perhaps look for path references
    containing 'Spybot S & D' in items path, and mark for exclusion.

    Patrick, Oct 9, 2003
  14. kendra

    Kendra Kay Guest

    I've run Spyware Blaster and found 806 items! Those included items
    identified as spyware and some as cookies. I got rid of ALL esp as I didn't
    recognise any of the cookie names. That wouldn't be a problem would it?
    Are you telling me this is all rubbish put on my pc by ad companies??!!
    I'm just running Spybot Search and Destroy and will get rid of anything it
    finds.
    this is truly violation~ Thank you

    Kendra Kay, Oct 10, 2003
  15. kendra

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Kendra Kay said:

    > I've run Spyware Blaster and found 806 items! Those included items
    > identified as spyware and some as cookies. I got rid of ALL esp as I didn't
    > recognise any of the cookie names. That wouldn't be a problem would it?
    > Are you telling me this is all rubbish put on my pc by ad companies??!!
    > I'm just running Spybot Search and Destroy and will get rid of anything it
    > finds.
    > this is truly violation~ Thank you

    As you have IE6, I suggest you read this page
    www.absey-vine.co.uk/helpdesk/internetoptions.html

    Brian H¹©, Oct 10, 2003
  16. kendra

    Kendra Kay Guest

    In spite of all the software, I keep getting a pop up asking me to visit
    destroyads.com to stop pop ups "forever". Seems ironic!
    The site seems legit but does anyone know for sure if it is - or is it
    another way of putting spyware/ adware in my PC?
    hanx again
    Kendra

    Kendra Kay, Oct 10, 2003
  17. kendra

    Kendra Kay Guest

    "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    > Kendra Kay said:
    >
    > > I've run Spyware Blaster and found 806 items! Those included items
    > > identified as spyware and some as cookies. I got rid of ALL esp as I

    didn't
    > > recognise any of the cookie names. That wouldn't be a problem would it?
    > > Are you telling me this is all rubbish put on my pc by ad companies??!!
    > > I'm just running Spybot Search and Destroy and will get rid of anything

    it
    > > finds.
    > > this is truly violation~ Thank you

    > As you have IE6, I suggest you read this page
    > www.absey-vine.co.uk/helpdesk/internetoptions.html

    Done. Thanx Brian
    Kendra

    Kendra Kay, Oct 10, 2003
  18. kendra

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Kendra Kay said:

    > In spite of all the software, I keep getting a pop up asking me to visit
    > destroyads.com to stop pop ups "forever". Seems ironic!
    > The site seems legit but does anyone know for sure if it is - or is it
    > another way of putting spyware/ adware in my PC?
    > hanx again
    > Kendra

    Bloody nuisances, create pop-ups on your system to spam their anti-pop-up
    software.
    Get yourself a decent pop-up stopper, I recommend NoAds, there are links on my
    software page that you use to get to the authors page or download directly from
    me.
    see my sig at the bottom of this post.

    --
    www.absey-vine.co.uk/
    freeware, helpdesk, ad-aware mirror

    Brian H¹©, Oct 10, 2003
  19. kendra

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Kendra Kay said:

    > "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    >> Kendra Kay said:
    >>
    >>> I've run Spyware Blaster and found 806 items! Those included items
    >>> identified as spyware and some as cookies. I got rid of ALL esp as I didn't
    >>> recognise any of the cookie names. That wouldn't be a problem would it?
    >>> Are you telling me this is all rubbish put on my pc by ad companies??!!
    >>> I'm just running Spybot Search and Destroy and will get rid of anything it
    >>> finds.
    >>> this is truly violation~ Thank you

    >> As you have IE6, I suggest you read this page
    >> www.absey-vine.co.uk/helpdesk/internetoptions.html
    >>

    > Done. Thanx Brian
    > Kendra

    You're welcome.

    Brian H¹©, Oct 10, 2003
  20. kendra

    Kendra Kay Guest

    "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    > Kendra Kay said:
    >
    > > In spite of all the software, I keep getting a pop up asking me to visit
    > > destroyads.com to stop pop ups "forever". Seems ironic!
    > > The site seems legit but does anyone know for sure if it is - or is it
    > > another way of putting spyware/ adware in my PC?
    > > hanx again
    > > Kendra

    > Bloody nuisances, create pop-ups on your system to spam their anti-pop-up
    > software.
    > Get yourself a decent pop-up stopper, I recommend NoAds, there are links

    on my
    > software page that you use to get to the authors page or download directly

    from
    > me.
    > see my sig at the bottom of this post.

    Nice front page! I'll go into the software bit and download Noads. Thank you
    very much. I'm thinking now that it's funny that I wanted to speed up my PC
    by freeing up space and now I'm downloading several different types of
    software to get rid of these ads and pop ups which in itself takes up
    space!! Probably a different type of slowing though. Thanx again
    Kendra

    Kendra Kay, Oct 10, 2003