Ad-Aware Install

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by picky, Jun 30, 2005.

  1. picky

    picky Guest

    Was installing ad aware the other night, and during the installation
    process, it tells you it's

    "Checking for previously installed components."

    Well, I've got three hard drives and it went through each one taking
    it's time and having a good long look.

    Seemed a bit much for my taste.

    They have ample opportunity to scan everything later, but the
    installation process gives you an opportunity to scan, delete the
    program, and call homes to one's heart's content.

    Just mentioning it because I've never seen a software installation do
    that before.
    picky, Jun 30, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. picky wrote:

    > Was installing ad aware the other night, and during the installation
    > process, it tells you it's
    >
    > "Checking for previously installed components."
    >
    > Well, I've got three hard drives and it went through each one taking
    > it's time and having a good long look.
    >
    > Seemed a bit much for my taste.
    >
    > They have ample opportunity to scan everything later, but the
    > installation process gives you an opportunity to scan, delete the
    > program, and call homes to one's heart's content.
    >
    > Just mentioning it because I've never seen a software installation do
    > that before.


    Seems a reasonable approach to me if the software uses common components
    that make multiple version support an issue. Or: if they just want to
    helpfully suggest that you junk old unsupported code before using the
    new shiney version with go-faster stripes and furry dice in the window.

    --
    http://www.lowth.com/rope
    Complex IpTables packet match logic, the easy way.
    Wolfman's Brother, Jun 30, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. picky

    Nog Guest

    <picky> wrote in message news:...
    >
    > Was installing ad aware the other night, and during the installation
    > process, it tells you it's
    >
    > "Checking for previously installed components."
    >
    > Well, I've got three hard drives and it went through each one taking
    > it's time and having a good long look.
    >
    > Seemed a bit much for my taste.
    >
    > They have ample opportunity to scan everything later, but the
    > installation process gives you an opportunity to scan, delete the
    > program, and call homes to one's heart's content.
    >
    > Just mentioning it because I've never seen a software installation do
    > that before.
    >

    Lots of software does that now because people are too stupid to uninstall
    older versions and end up have multiple versions of the same software and
    wonder why they have problems.
    Nog, Jun 30, 2005
    #3
  4. picky

    Ross Guest

    Nog pulled a bright blue crayon out of the box and scribbled this in
    news::

    >
    > <picky> wrote in message
    > news:...


    [...]

    >> Just mentioning it because I've never seen a software installation do
    >> that before.
    >>

    > Lots of software does that now because people are too stupid to
    > uninstall older versions and end up have multiple versions of the same
    > software and wonder why they have problems.


    I agree that many users are clueless about this, but I primarily blame the
    developers who are too lazy to add the small bit of code that would tell an
    installer whether a previous version exists and exacly where it is.

    R.

    --
    Go not to Usenet for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.
    Ross, Jun 30, 2005
    #4
  5. picky

    Quaoar Guest

    Wolfman's Brother wrote:
    > picky wrote:
    >
    >> Was installing ad aware the other night, and during the installation
    >> process, it tells you it's
    >>
    >> "Checking for previously installed components."
    >>
    >> Well, I've got three hard drives and it went through each one taking
    >> it's time and having a good long look.
    >>
    >> Seemed a bit much for my taste.
    >>
    >> They have ample opportunity to scan everything later, but the
    >> installation process gives you an opportunity to scan, delete the
    >> program, and call homes to one's heart's content.
    >>
    >> Just mentioning it because I've never seen a software installation do
    >> that before.

    >
    > Seems a reasonable approach to me if the software uses common
    > components that make multiple version support an issue. Or: if they
    > just want to helpfully suggest that you junk old unsupported code
    > before using the new shiney version with go-faster stripes and furry
    > dice in the window.


    I'm waiting for the version with the plastic Jesus for the dashboard of
    my car.

    Q
    Quaoar, Jun 30, 2005
    #5
  6. picky

    Quaoar Guest

    Ross wrote:
    > Nog pulled a bright blue crayon out of the box and scribbled this in
    > news::
    >
    >>
    >> <picky> wrote in message
    >> news:...

    >
    > [...]
    >
    >>> Just mentioning it because I've never seen a software installation
    >>> do that before.
    >>>

    >> Lots of software does that now because people are too stupid to
    >> uninstall older versions and end up have multiple versions of the
    >> same software and wonder why they have problems.

    >
    > I agree that many users are clueless about this, but I primarily
    > blame the developers who are too lazy to add the small bit of code
    > that would tell an installer whether a previous version exists and
    > exacly where it is.
    >
    > R.


    Step 1: find the previous version.

    Step 2: validate that what the registry says and validate that the
    innumerable dlls have not been overwritten with shared dlls that must be
    accommodated for a new install.

    Step 3: forward your concerns to Microsoft who, singlehandedly invented
    this bizarre OS.

    Q
    Quaoar, Jun 30, 2005
    #6
  7. picky

    Tetractys Guest

    Quaoar wroted:

    > I'm waiting for the version
    > with the plastic Jesus
    > for the dashboard of my car.


    Do you care if it rains or freezes?
    Tetractys, Jul 2, 2005
    #7
  8. picky

    picky Guest

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 08:40:31 -0400, "Nog" <> wrote:

    >
    ><picky> wrote in message news:...
    >>
    >> Was installing ad aware the other night, and during the installation
    >> process, it tells you it's
    >>
    >> "Checking for previously installed components."
    >>
    >> Well, I've got three hard drives and it went through each one taking
    >> it's time and having a good long look.
    >>
    >> Seemed a bit much for my taste.
    >>
    >> They have ample opportunity to scan everything later, but the
    >> installation process gives you an opportunity to scan, delete the
    >> program, and call homes to one's heart's content.
    >>
    >> Just mentioning it because I've never seen a software installation do
    >> that before.
    >>

    >Lots of software does that now because people are too stupid to uninstall
    >older versions and end up have multiple versions of the same software and
    >wonder why they have problems.
    >



    Well, I could see that for drives C: and D:, but when they scan C:\
    through P:\ I start to wonder.
    picky, Jul 4, 2005
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Cloud Burst
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    882
  2. Luke O'Malley

    XP Pro Install - Can't Install pro_seg5.swf

    Luke O'Malley, Dec 5, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    8,501
  3. Ed
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    6,064
    neville
    Mar 18, 2005
  4. Sens Fan Happy In OH

    Possible to Un-Install and Re-install IE6?

    Sens Fan Happy In OH, Jul 11, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    627
    pcbutts1
    Jul 11, 2005
  5. TJ
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    1,483
    thanatoid
    Jan 26, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page