    Please let me know if you have bought the camera and how you like it.

    thanks,
    Mike
    Mike, Nov 10, 2005

  2. In article <>,
    Mike <> wrote:
    >Has anyone in the group actually uesd the SD30?

    I just received mine. I am not doing very well with it, possibly
    because I don't know how to use it yet. I will post a review in about
    two weeks. The following observations are mostly negative, and I
    really hope that I will be able to write a more cheerful report after
    I learn more about the camera.

    If any of these observations are incorrect, I hope that one of the
    readers will post a correction. I do not like to post bullshit! The OP
    may be ready to buy this camera soon, so I thought it worthwhile to
    post my info now, defective though it may be:

    1. The camera is quite fast, faster than my old SD10. Nice going
    Canon!
    2. With "spot" autofocus selected, the camera seems to do very well.
    With my old SD10, I would regularly obtain photos that were
    grossly out of focus. It does not seem to happen with the new
    SD30. Thank you Canon!
    3. The "deluxe" kit features a very nice soft case. It fits perfectly
    and looks OK. I consider this to be a "must" for a tiny,
    carry-it-everywhere gadget. All of the stores I checked stocked
    the "deluxe" kit, perhaps there is no other kit for sale. But I
    suggest that you confirm that you are getting the Canon SD30 soft
    case with your purchase.
    4. The flash intensity cannot be adjusted, as far as I can tell. It
    is therefore difficult to photograph certain shiny objects, such
    as circuit boards and small machinery. This is giving me fits.
    5. The macro capability is mostly good. However, it is only possible
    to get close to your subject (10 cm) when the lens zoom is at its
    maximum. But then, it is very difficult to use without a tripod.
    At the wide angle setting, you can only get as close as 30 cm.
    Stupid.
    6. I don't think the photos are as amazingly sharp as those that I
    got from my old SD10. I'll have to experiment more, I'm not
    confident about this comparison yet.
    7. The camera is not as amazingly small as the old SD10. I would not
    want to carry it in the breast pocket of a man's dress shirt, for
    example.
    8. You must use the (included) cradle to charge the camera's battery.
    Although the cradle is reasonably small, it still sucks for
    travelling light. There is probably an accessory you can purchase
    that travels better than the cradle and power cable that is
    included in the "deluxe" kit. I haven't shopped for such
    accessories yet.
    9. The camera retains a feature of the SD10 that I absolutely HATE:
    it resets its metering mode to "evaluative" after every power cycle.
    Like all other digital cameras, the only metering mode that works
    worth a damn is "spot." At power-up, it takes me 8 button pushes to
    get the camera to "spot" meter. The main value of a tiny camera is
    that you can carry it everywhere, and capture unplanned events.
    Those 8 extra button pushes really detract from the value of this
    type of machine. (Sorry for venting).
    --
    David Arnstein |

    David Arnstein, Nov 10, 2005

  3. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Thanks for the thoughts.

    #6 - most new (non-SLR) digital cameras use an algorithim that softens
    the pictures to remove noise. Personally I would prefer they let me do
    this in Photoshop but I guess they figure people who use a P&S are
    unlikely to use Photoshop.

    #7 It is almost exactly the size of my cell phone and the weight is
    right so I plan to carry it in my jeans pocket. Bad idea?

    #9 This is a serious issue to consider. According to C. Hatfield
    "SoccerMom" on an Amazon review it " Remembers your last settings ".
    Does she mean all the settings but the light metering? Is there a
    place to set the camera to remember all settings?
    Mike, Nov 11, 2005
  4. In article <>,
    Mike <> wrote:
    >#7 It is almost exactly the size of my cell phone and the weight is
    >right so I plan to carry it in my jeans pocket. Bad idea?

    I have mixed feelings about this. The SD30 is one of the smallest digicams
    available and as such, it practically begs to be pocketed. I should
    have mentioned that the SD30 looks and feels very durable to me. Perhaps
    it could survive the pocket environment. Personally, I have never felt
    comfortable putting expensive gadgets in my pocket. So, I have no
    knowledge of how safe this practice is.

    I have similar experience with another tiny camera though. I had a neck
    strap on it and I was wearing it like a necklace. Very handy, but I made
    the mistake of sliding the thing inside my shirt, to protect it. Bad
    idea. One of my manly chest hairs got caught in the metal lens "bellows."
    I noticed it the next day. I was unable to extract the hair from the
    camera; one end of it was stuck inside. I A bit of hair remains inside
    the camera, as far as I can tell.

    >#9 This is a serious issue to consider. According to C. Hatfield
    >"SoccerMom" on an Amazon review it " Remembers your last settings ".
    >Does she mean all the settings but the light metering? Is there a
    >place to set the camera to remember all settings?

    I saw that review too. I liked it. By the way, Butterfly Photo has an
    even better price than Amazon.com.

    Most of the camera's settings are remembered between power cycles. As
    far as I can tell, there is no way to customize which settings are
    persistent and which revert to defaults. This behavior seems to be
    identical to that of the old SD10. I'd love it if someone would tell me
    that I am wrong on this. It's really pissing me off!
    --
    David Arnstein |

    David Arnstein, Nov 11, 2005
  5. Mike

    Mike Guest

    thanks for the reply.

    What is your experience with the movie mode?
    I know the speed is only 10fps at 640x480.

    The only samples on the web were not very helpful.
    People mowing the lawn and a train.

    The video quality didn't look that bad but I am concerned about the
    sound.

    I tried my brother-in-law's SD500 and the sound is terrible.
    I have also used a Sony DSCS60 and the sound was high quality (however
    the auto-focus was unusable).

    thanks again,
    Mike, Nov 12, 2005