Actrix your ISP? Still on 'Double Happy' plan?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Jun 2, 2010.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    The plan is no longer available but those on it when they dropped it were
    given the choice to move to a new plan or stay on it.

    Since 00:00 hours 01/06/2010 I've been experiencing drop-outs of my ADSL
    link (not just the PPPoA). This coincided with a glitch with their server /
    data counter / limiter (that the first-line desk monkeys don't acknowledge)
    which resulted in my being able to download over 2GB for the 'days' of the
    31st May and 1st June (They reset the data at 2am.) when I'm only supposed
    to get 1.4GB/day. Also the 'data used' graphs didn't update for about a half
    day.

    Anyway, since then I'm lucky if my connection stays up for an hour at a
    time. The first guy I spoke to told me to go out the next day and buy all
    new filters for the phones and also to get spares as they don't last forever
    and mine is over three years old. I told him that I'd tried 'the isolation
    test' before calling and that I'm not a 'luser' but he was adamant that 80%
    of the calls reporting problems that he'd had lately were fixed by the
    customer fitting new filters.

    (Actrix used to have such a good help desk. The last couple days though the
    staff seem brusk and nowhere near as helpful as they used to be.)

    Anyway, I didn't buy new filters, I just unplugged everything but the modem
    / router and the problem continued. As my connection has been rock-solid for
    at least a year, since Telecom changed me onto a new port at the exchange
    (other than a server-side glitch for a couple days after daylight saving
    ended) and this issue also coincided with a glitch with their bandwidth
    monitoring software / machine I'm convinced that the fault lies with them.
    The guy I rang yesterday morning told me that he'd log my problem and
    request Telecom to 'reset my port'.

    Essentially I'm going to have to escalate this with them as, for relaxation,
    rather than watch TV, I on-line game (Diablo 2) with a group of people (some
    of whom I've 'known' for over 5+ years). However it takes up to ten minutes
    to get a game established with all of us in it etcetera and it's untenable
    with my connection as it is.

    There used to be a link on the Actrix page where, after you'd logged in, you
    could see how many connections you'd had during the last billing period and
    the duration of them. Unfortunately that is no longer available. I used info
    from that showing I was getting dropped / reconnected around 50 times a day
    to help convince them to get Telecom to put me onto a different port at the
    local exchange about 18 months ago. My router software only shows me how
    long the current DSL and PPPoA links have been up, not how often it's being
    disconnected / reconnected. I Googled last night for a utility to run on my
    laptop to monitor this and give me some data to present to Actrix but didn't
    have any luck.

    Knowing if there are others experiencing the same problem might help with my
    calls with the helpdesk. I have a feeling that this might take a while to
    sort out. Also I have a feeling that they might be trying to get me off the
    old 'Double Happy' plan as I get a call from them every month or two asking
    me if I'd like to move to a different plan...

    UPDATE: Just before hitting 'send' I checked their status page (which has
    been green for the last few days) and now see the following message for
    Cyberjet customers:

    "Scheduled For Thu 3 Jun, 10 - 11:00PM
    Duration: 1 hour
    An upstream provider has urgent network maintenance scheduled for Thursday
    the 3rd of June. This may result in an intermittent loss of service between
    11:00pm and 12:00am, we apologise for any inconvenience this may cause."

    To me the phrase "urgent network maintenance" suggests that this may perhaps
    have been the cause of the issues I've been experiencing. I hope that this
    fixes it.

    However it would still be good to know if others have seen the same
    problems. Actrix have been brilliant so far (~three years) but I got the
    distinct feeling from the staff I talked to over the last couple days that
    perhaps the level of customer support and indeed knowledge of the front-line
    support team may have declined.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    "When we dream.... that's just our brains defragmenting" G Jackson.
    ~misfit~, Jun 2, 2010

  2. ~misfit~

    John Little Guest

    On Jun 3, 10:56 am, "~misfit~" <>
    wrote:
    > My router software only shows me how long the current DSL and PPPoA
    > links have been up, not how often it's being disconnected /
    > reconnected. I Googled last night for a utility to run on my laptop to
    > monitor this and give me some data ...

    How about running wget periodically in a script? Say, once a minute?

    HTH, John
    John Little, Jun 3, 2010

  3. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    ADSL modem suggestions? Was: Actrix your ISP? Still on 'Double Happy' plan?

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs John Little wrote:
    > On Jun 3, 10:56 am, "~misfit~" <>
    > wrote:
    >> My router software only shows me how long the current DSL and PPPoA
    >> links have been up, not how often it's being disconnected /
    >> reconnected. I Googled last night for a utility to run on my laptop
    >> to monitor this and give me some data ...

    > How about running wget periodically in a script? Say, once a minute?
    >
    > HTH, John

    Hi John. Thanks for your reply. I'm afraid that I'm quite
    software-illiterate when it comes to scripts etcetera. I was hoping that I
    could find a little simple utility that would simply monitor my internet
    connection and write to a log when it failed and when it came back. My
    searches have been fruitless.

    Actrix called an hour ago and told me that they'd done all they could from
    their end and that Telecom had re-set my port at 8am today. However their
    logs show four drop-outs since the reset. Next move is to have a Telecom
    tech come to my home with the caveat that if it's found to be my equipment
    that's at fault I could be charged $200 or more[1].

    I told them to hold off on that for now. I'll do a longer 'isolation test'.
    I still don't get why it happened 'coincidentally' to a glitch with their
    data server (which they still haven't acknowledged) yet they can't fix it.
    <shrug>

    If I need to replace my modem / router / firewall does anyone have
    suggestions? I'm currently using a most excellent Alcatel / Thompson
    Speedtouch 510 v4 that has been great along with a 3COM OfficeConnect
    3CRWE.454G72 wireless AP that gets turned on when I need it (I'm mostly
    wired but it's logical to get wireless functionality built into a
    replacement modem if I need one). My local cabinet isn't due to be ADSL2
    capable until late next year.
    --
    Cheers, and TIA.

    ~misfit~, Jun 4, 2010
  4. Re: ADSL modem suggestions? Was: Actrix your ISP? Still on 'Double Happy' plan?

    In article <hu9ial$bek$-september.org>,
    says...

    > If I need to replace my modem / router / firewall does anyone have
    > suggestions? I'm currently using a most excellent Alcatel / Thompson
    > Speedtouch 510 v4 that has been great along with a 3COM OfficeConnect
    > 3CRWE.454G72 wireless AP that gets turned on when I need it (I'm mostly
    > wired but it's logical to get wireless functionality built into a
    > replacement modem if I need one). My local cabinet isn't due to be ADSL2
    > capable until late next year.

    Until last week I'd've said 3com. Alas, HP has gobbled up 3com, and will
    retire the label. Darnit, 3com made good gear, but my experience with hp
    has been so bad of late in terms of getting anything even looked at
    after the warranty expires that I'm no longer buying anything off them
    (except for my monitors, all my hp gear has died and is not servicable
    due to 'no parts').

    So if I were to buy now I'd go netgear or linksys with a 'full
    firewall'. Dynalink are a bit too up and down in my experience (not
    recent experience), some of their gear was lousy, some great; and d-link
    had bad flaws in their security some time ago so I'd shy away from them.

    My current usr router/adsl modem is robust, but I do NOT like the
    interface design - garish and cumbersome and about as anti-intuitive as
    I've ever seen. It also has the ideosyncratic behaviour of stopping the
    flow of data within 1/2 an hour of being turned on cold, after a reset
    it will then happily work for weeks at a stretch. Go figure. Also, the
    USR runs hot, hot, hot - particularly if the wireless is turned on. The
    3com that I had before (partly damaged by lightening) was as cool as a
    cucumber by comparison.

    By the way, I have finally unearthed my 'Golden Orb' last night. Would
    you still like it? If so, please send me an email (still first name dot
    last name at gmail fullstop com) with your postal address - I seem to've
    lost it.

    -P.
    Peter Huebner, Jun 4, 2010
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
    > On 4/06/2010 12:45 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >

    >> If I need to replace my modem / router / firewall does anyone have
    >> suggestions?

    > A Netcomm NB6 family device. I recently replaced my Linksys with a
    > NB6Plus4Wn and gained ~15% in real world speeds.

    Handy to know, thanks. Archived for when / if needed.

    It stayed up for ~8 hours, then dropped off twice in ten minutes around
    midnight and since then has been stable again.

    I'm pretty sure it's not my gear at fault.....

    ~misfit~, Jun 4, 2010
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Crash McBash wrote:
    > On Fri, 4 Jun 2010 12:45:06 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >> Next move is to have a Telecom
    >> tech come to my home with the caveat that if it's found to be my
    >> equipment that's at fault I could be charged $200 or more[1].

    > I have found that Telecom techs in Wellington have been very helpful
    > in checking out line problems. They will only invoke the charge if
    > there was obviously a fault clearly induced by your equipment - most
    > unlikely in your circumstances. Over a four-month interlude with 3
    > calls to my house in Kingston they (in order) replaced some of my
    > phone wiring, installed a splitter (which I paid for), changed ports
    > at the exchange and changed pairs between my house and the exchange.
    > Connections used to drop about 10 times a day. The pairs-swap
    > resulted in connections lasting weeks and connection speeds vastly
    > improved Except for the splitter I paid nothing. However this was 5
    > years ago so YMMV.
    >
    > Good luck...

    Thanks Crash. Let's hope that, if it comes to it, the techs here are as
    good.

    ~misfit~, Jun 4, 2010
  7. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <hu9ial$bek$-september.org>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> If I need to replace my modem / router / firewall does anyone have
    >> suggestions? I'm currently using a most excellent Alcatel / Thompson
    >> Speedtouch 510 v4 that has been great along with a 3COM OfficeConnect
    >> 3CRWE.454G72 wireless AP that gets turned on when I need it (I'm
    >> mostly wired but it's logical to get wireless functionality built
    >> into a replacement modem if I need one). My local cabinet isn't due
    >> to be ADSL2 capable until late next year.

    > Until last week I'd've said 3com. Alas, HP has gobbled up 3com, and
    > will retire the label. Darnit, 3com made good gear, but my experience
    > with hp has been so bad of late in terms of getting anything even
    > looked at after the warranty expires that I'm no longer buying
    > anything off them (except for my monitors, all my hp gear has died
    > and is not servicable due to 'no parts').

    Yeah, I'm no big fan of HP myself. However you say "except for my monitors",
    I have two old HP 1502 1024x756 15" LCD monitors (that are known to have an
    [easilly fixable] capacitor problem) that have been totally trouble-free.
    That said I don't use them often.

    > So if I were to buy now I'd go netgear or linksys with a 'full
    > firewall'. Dynalink are a bit too up and down in my experience (not
    > recent experience), some of their gear was lousy, some great; and
    > d-link had bad flaws in their security some time ago so I'd shy away
    > from them.

    Ok, thanks for that. I was wondering about Belkin but nobody has mentioned
    them...

    > My current usr router/adsl modem is robust, but I do NOT like the
    > interface design - garish and cumbersome and about as anti-intuitive
    > as I've ever seen. It also has the ideosyncratic behaviour of
    > stopping the flow of data within 1/2 an hour of being turned on cold,
    > after a reset it will then happily work for weeks at a stretch. Go
    > figure. Also, the USR runs hot, hot, hot - particularly if the
    > wireless is turned on. The 3com that I had before (partly damaged by
    > lightening) was as cool as a cucumber by comparison.

    Mate, I love my Speedtouch 510 v4. It's been so reliable I'm really hoping
    that I don't have to replace it yet. It's one of those pieces of equipent
    that I just never need to think about until ISPs start telling me that
    connection problems are my fault. I've been told that several times now, and
    to replace my modem but I stuck to my guns and it was never the Speedtouch
    at fault.

    > By the way, I have finally unearthed my 'Golden Orb' last night. Would
    > you still like it? If so, please send me an email (still first name
    > dot last name at gmail fullstop com) with your postal address - I
    > seem to've lost it.

    Heh! You finally found it huh? My last system that I might have used it on
    stopped working sometime last year (and still hasn't been investigated) so I
    no longer have need of it. However, thanks heaps for thinking of me. My
    email 'for public consumption' is misfitnz with that gmail place.

    Regards,

    ~misfit~, Jun 5, 2010
  8. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Re: ADSL modem suggestions? Was: Actrix your ISP? Still on 'Double Happy' plan?

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
    > On 5/06/2010 7:24 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> Ok, thanks for that. I was wondering about Belkin but nobody has
    >> mentioned them...

    > Ok. I'll mention Belkin, in the same sentence as bargepole and
    > something about wouldn't touch.

    Cool. Thanks for that. I value your opinion. I only asked as a couple of
    their models got good reviews in the June Aussie PC User mag.

    ~misfit~, Jun 5, 2010
  9. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Suzie Wong wrote:
    > On Fri, 4 Jun 2010 14:25:28 +1200, Peter Huebner <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> In article <hu9ial$bek$-september.org>,
    >> says...
    >>>
    >>> If I need to replace my modem / router / firewall does anyone have
    >>> suggestions? I'm currently using a most excellent Alcatel / Thompson
    >>> Speedtouch 510 v4 that has been great along with a 3COM
    >>> OfficeConnect 3CRWE.454G72 wireless AP that gets turned on when I
    >>> need it (I'm mostly wired but it's logical to get wireless
    >>> functionality built into a replacement modem if I need one). My
    >>> local cabinet isn't due to be ADSL2 capable until late next year.

    >> Until last week I'd've said 3com. Alas, HP has gobbled up 3com, and
    >> will retire the label. Darnit, 3com made good gear, but my
    >> experience with hp has been so bad of late in terms of getting
    >> anything even looked at after the warranty expires that I'm no
    >> longer buying anything off them (except for my monitors, all my hp
    >> gear has died and is not servicable due to 'no parts').

    > Seems that you do not know about your legal rights, you are covered by
    > the C.G.A, so enforce it or lie down and be abused.

    How do you know that he's covered by the CGA? It only applies to end-users.
    There are quite a few IT professionals here for whom the CGA doesn't mean
    jack. You buy using a business account you aren't covered by the CGA.

    ~misfit~, Jun 5, 2010
  10. Re: ADSL modem suggestions? Was: Actrix your ISP? Still on 'Double Happy' plan?

    In article <>,
    says...

    > On Fri, 4 Jun 2010 14:25:28 +1200, Peter Huebner <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >In article <hu9ial$bek$-september.org>,
    > > says...
    > >>
    > >> If I need to replace my modem / router / firewall does anyone have
    > >> suggestions? I'm currently using a most excellent Alcatel / Thompson
    > >> Speedtouch 510 v4 that has been great along with a 3COM OfficeConnect
    > >> 3CRWE.454G72 wireless AP that gets turned on when I need it (I'm mostly
    > >> wired but it's logical to get wireless functionality built into a
    > >> replacement modem if I need one). My local cabinet isn't due to be ADSL2
    > >> capable until late next year.

    > >Until last week I'd've said 3com. Alas, HP has gobbled up 3com, and will
    > >retire the label. Darnit, 3com made good gear, but my experience with hp
    > >has been so bad of late in terms of getting anything even looked at
    > >after the warranty expires that I'm no longer buying anything off them
    > >(except for my monitors, all my hp gear has died and is not servicable
    > >due to 'no parts').

    > Seems that you do not know about your legal rights, you are covered by
    > the C.G.A, so enforce it or lie down and be abused.

    As per usual, reading comprehension closely apporaching zero, Roger.

    Try again.

    I said AFTER THE WARRANTY EXPIRES. Does that mean anything to you?

    While under warranty, they will ship a replacement unit. After waranty
    expires, you're shit out of luck. No Parts. Right? Got it?

    -P.
    Peter Huebner, Jun 5, 2010
  11. Re: ADSL modem suggestions? Was: Actrix your ISP? Still on 'Double Happy' plan?

    In article <hud61b$crs$-september.org>,
    says...

    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
    > > On 5/06/2010 7:24 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    > >
    > >> Ok, thanks for that. I was wondering about Belkin but nobody has
    > >> mentioned them...

    > > Ok. I'll mention Belkin, in the same sentence as bargepole and
    > > something about wouldn't touch.

    > Cool. Thanks for that. I value your opinion. I only asked as a couple of
    > their models got good reviews in the June Aussie PC User mag.

    I have a feeling that Belkin are trying to get their shit together and
    go upmarket from where they started. A bit reminiscent of Gigabyte who
    used to make cheap crap to start with, but build good, solid, durable
    boards these days.

    Still, I am not sure if Belkin are quite THERE yet ... I don't think I'd
    chose them for critical parts (other than surge protectors and adsl
    filters and maybe el cheapo mice and keyboards) just yet.

    -P.
    Peter Huebner, Jun 5, 2010
  12. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Re: ADSL modem suggestions? Was: Actrix your ISP? Still on 'Double Happy' plan?

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <hud61b$crs$-september.org>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:

    >>> Ok. I'll mention Belkin, in the same sentence as bargepole and
    >>> something about wouldn't touch.

    >> Cool. Thanks for that. I value your opinion. I only asked as a
    >> couple of their models got good reviews in the June Aussie PC User
    >> mag.

    > I have a feeling that Belkin are trying to get their shit together and
    > go upmarket from where they started. A bit reminiscent of Gigabyte who
    > used to make cheap crap to start with, but build good, solid, durable
    > boards these days.
    >
    > Still, I am not sure if Belkin are quite THERE yet ... I don't think
    > I'd chose them for critical parts (other than surge protectors and
    > adsl filters and maybe el cheapo mice and keyboards) just yet.

    Thanks for the input Peter,

    ~misfit~, Jun 5, 2010
  13. ~misfit~

    victor Guest

    On 4/06/2010 7:31 p.m., EMB wrote:
    > On 4/06/2010 12:45 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >

    >> If I need to replace my modem / router / firewall does anyone have
    >> suggestions?

    > A Netcomm NB6 family device. I recently replaced my Linksys with a
    > NB6Plus4Wn and gained ~15% in real world speeds.

    I'll second that, really good value, sold under the Dynalink brand
    http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=386303
    The basic no frills adsl box is only $68
    http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=385396
    Or any pricespy seller
    victor, Jun 6, 2010
  14. ~misfit~

    victor Guest

    On 6/06/2010 2:05 p.m., victor wrote:
    > On 4/06/2010 7:31 p.m., EMB wrote:
    >> On 4/06/2010 12:45 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>

    >>> If I need to replace my modem / router / firewall does anyone have
    >>> suggestions?

    >> A Netcomm NB6 family device. I recently replaced my Linksys with a
    >> NB6Plus4Wn and gained ~15% in real world speeds.

    > I'll second that, really good value, sold under the Dynalink brand
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=386303
    > The basic no frills adsl box is only $68
    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=385396
    > Or any pricespy seller

    Their code is wrong though, its just NB6
    victor, Jun 6, 2010
  15. ~misfit~

    Gib Bogle Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > If I need to replace my modem / router / firewall does anyone have
    > suggestions? I'm currently using a most excellent Alcatel / Thompson
    > Speedtouch 510 v4 that has been great along with a 3COM OfficeConnect
    > 3CRWE.454G72 wireless AP that gets turned on when I need it (I'm mostly
    > wired but it's logical to get wireless functionality built into a
    > replacement modem if I need one). My local cabinet isn't due to be ADSL2
    > capable until late next year.

    I'm using a DLink DSL-G604T, and have no complaints.
    Gib Bogle, Jun 6, 2010
  16. ~misfit~

    John S Guest

    On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 21:42:12 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    >> Seems that you do not know about your legal rights, you are covered by
    >> the C.G.A, so enforce it or lie down and be abused.

    > How do you know that he's covered by the CGA? It only applies to end-users.
    > There are quite a few IT professionals here for whom the CGA doesn't mean
    > jack. You buy using a business account you aren't covered by the CGA.

    Just want to jump in here Shaun and say that's not really correct.

    A couple of days ago I sent an email to Fair Go expressing disappointment
    that they had misled people in last Wednesday's show by making a similar
    comment - (ie you're not covered by the CGA if you use the product for
    commercial purposes)

    If the product (or service) is one commonly sold to people for personal
    use, then that product or service is covered by the CGA.

    Where the commercial use difference comes in is that the retailer and buyer
    can contract out of the CGA if they agree to - this is not allowed with
    people who use the product for personal use.

    Many retailers try to achieve a kind of blanket contracting out by printing
    something to that effect on their invoices. However, unless they do this
    properly, the contract may not be enforceable. They would presumably need
    to make sure that the buyer was well aware of this stipulation before the
    sale took place (if you don't see the invoice before you have completed the
    purchase, have you agreed to the contract?)

    If you want to see the official word on CGA coverage, download this
    pamphlet from the Ministry of Consumer Affairs:-

    http://www.consumeraffairs.govt.nz/publications/cgagoodsdec07.pdf

    And read pages 5 thru 8. They give an example there of someone buying
    mobile phones for use by employees in an IT business - they are covered by
    CGA as mobile phones are commonly sold for personal use (unless the seller
    and buyer contracted out).

    BTW - as far as choosing good brand for your next modem - when I tried this
    exercise a couple of years ago, all the searching round I did on the
    internet was completely inconclusive. For every brand I found there were
    people saying "a load of crap - wouldn't touch them", and others saying
    things like "we've been using this brand for years with no problems".

    Finally went for a brand which produced the fewest negative comments and
    bought a Netgear DG834G (which has worked for me without problems - but
    that doesn't mean a thing I guess).

    Cheers,

    John S
    John S, Jun 6, 2010
  17. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs victor wrote:
    > On 6/06/2010 2:05 p.m., victor wrote:

    >>> A Netcomm NB6 family device. I recently replaced my Linksys with a
    >>> NB6Plus4Wn and gained ~15% in real world speeds.

    >> I'll second that, really good value, sold under the Dynalink brand
    >> http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=386303
    >> The basic no frills adsl box is only $68
    >> http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=385396
    >> Or any pricespy seller

    > Their code is wrong though, its just NB6

    Thanks Victor. I grabbed a Linksys WAG160Nv2 from the local DSE (limited
    selection) to see if it's my router or not (I can take it back). So far it
    seems that the old Speedtouch may have been playing up although it's a bit
    early to tell.

    However this Linksys isn't very stable. It's been dropping the connection on
    one of the ethernet ports while the others stay connected (then
    re-connecting the port but if I'm gaming it's too damn late...).

    If the DSL and PPPoA stay up for a couple days with this machine (and it
    keeps giving problems) then I'll know the Speedtouch is dead and I'll
    definiately get something else from Ascent. (The first one you linked to
    looks good, although truth be told the second would likely do the job just
    as well.) This thing is more than likely going back as it was $230, is ugly
    and I can't find a way to turn off the wireless (I don't always use it and
    the thing gets quite hot..).

    Thanks,

    ~misfit~, Jun 6, 2010
  18. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gib Bogle wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>
    >> If I need to replace my modem / router / firewall does anyone have
    >> suggestions? I'm currently using a most excellent Alcatel / Thompson
    >> Speedtouch 510 v4 that has been great along with a 3COM OfficeConnect
    >> 3CRWE.454G72 wireless AP that gets turned on when I need it (I'm
    >> mostly wired but it's logical to get wireless functionality built
    >> into a replacement modem if I need one). My local cabinet isn't due
    >> to be ADSL2 capable until late next year.

    > I'm using a DLink DSL-G604T, and have no complaints.

    Thanks Gib.

    ~misfit~, Jun 6, 2010
  19. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs John S wrote:
    > On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 21:42:12 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >

    >>> Seems that you do not know about your legal rights, you are covered
    >>> by the C.G.A, so enforce it or lie down and be abused.

    >> How do you know that he's covered by the CGA? It only applies to
    >> end-users. There are quite a few IT professionals here for whom the
    >> CGA doesn't mean jack. You buy using a business account you aren't
    >> covered by the CGA.

    > Just want to jump in here Shaun and say that's not really correct.
    >
    > A couple of days ago I sent an email to Fair Go expressing
    > disappointment that they had misled people in last Wednesday's show
    > by making a similar comment - (ie you're not covered by the CGA if
    > you use the product for commercial purposes)
    >
    > If the product (or service) is one commonly sold to people for
    > personal use, then that product or service is covered by the CGA.
    >
    > Where the commercial use difference comes in is that the retailer and
    > buyer can contract out of the CGA if they agree to - this is not
    > allowed with people who use the product for personal use.
    >
    > Many retailers try to achieve a kind of blanket contracting out by
    > printing something to that effect on their invoices. However, unless
    > they do this properly, the contract may not be enforceable. They
    > would presumably need to make sure that the buyer was well aware of
    > this stipulation before the sale took place (if you don't see the
    > invoice before you have completed the purchase, have you agreed to
    > the contract?)
    >
    > If you want to see the official word on CGA coverage, download this
    > pamphlet from the Ministry of Consumer Affairs:-
    >
    > http://www.consumeraffairs.govt.nz/publications/cgagoodsdec07.pdf
    >
    > And read pages 5 thru 8. They give an example there of someone buying
    > mobile phones for use by employees in an IT business - they are
    > covered by CGA as mobile phones are commonly sold for personal use
    > (unless the seller and buyer contracted out).
    >
    > BTW - as far as choosing good brand for your next modem - when I
    > tried this exercise a couple of years ago, all the searching round I
    > did on the internet was completely inconclusive. For every brand I
    > found there were people saying "a load of crap - wouldn't touch
    > them", and others saying things like "we've been using this brand for
    > years with no problems".
    >
    > Finally went for a brand which produced the fewest negative comments
    > and bought a Netgear DG834G (which has worked for me without problems
    > - but that doesn't mean a thing I guess).
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > John S

    Thanks for the info John, on both subjects. Good stuff. I don't like to be
    wrong and appreciate a heads-up if I make a statement that's not correct.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Jun 6, 2010
  20. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Re: ADSL modem suggestions? Was: Actrix your ISP? Still on 'Double Happy' plan?

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
    > On 6/06/2010 7:00 p.m., John S wrote:
    >
    >> Finally went for a brand which produced the fewest negative comments
    >> and bought a Netgear DG834G (which has worked for me without
    >> problems - but that doesn't mean a thing I guess).

    > It probably means a bit - you mentioning it reminded me that we have
    > one running our secondary (ie circumventing the corporate firewall)
    > internet connection at work. I hadn't thought about it when
    > responding as it just works without intervention and I had forgotten
    > it existed.

    Hmmmm.......

    ~misfit~, Jun 6, 2010