Actrix withdraws Go Large

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lodi, Sep 25, 2009.

  1. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    Ouch....I average 25 to 35 GB for my $50 a month. Now it's being capped to
    10GB per month then dial-up speeds.

    Admittedly this is pretty much in line with what most ISP's are offering for
    $50 but the nearest thing to the "1GB a day for $50 a month" plan I used to
    be on is "400MB a day for $50". Not even close.

    Must admit I got my money's worth from Actrix Go Large but it's withdrawal
    is one less reason to hang around with them.

    Regards
    Lodi

    Go Large Plan Withdrawal

    Dear Customer,

    Due to our wholesale provider withdrawing the Go Large plan we are no longer
    able to offer this product and it will be withdrawn from service on Monday
    October 26th.

    What happens next?

    Customers still using Go Large on Monday October 26th will be automatically
    moved on to the CyberJet Full Speed / 128Kb plan with a 10GB monthly
    traffic allowance for the same cost.

    Do I need to do anything?

    Yes, you will need to update the username in your DSL modem / router in
    order to connect after Monday October 26th. Currently this should
    be '' and will need to be changed
    to ''.

    Can I use more than 10GB?

    If you exceed the 10GB allowance your connection speed will be rate limited
    to 64Kb until your next billing day; or you can opt for excess usage fees
    and additional 1GB data blocks will be automatically added to your account
    at a cost of $2 each (more info here
    http://www.actrix.co.nz/page.php?id=40#monthly - please contact the
    helpdesk to request this option).

    What about a different plan?

    We have a range of plans available with both monthly and daily traffic
    allowances, if you would prefer to change to a different plan or wish to
    change before Monday October 26th just head to
    https://my.actrix.co.nz/signup/cyberjet/change.php or give our helpdesk a
    call to discuss which plan would be best for you.

    If you have any questions please feel free to E-mail , or
    give us a call on 0800 ACTRIX (228-749) between 8am and 11pm seven days.

    Regards,

    Stephen Duder
    Actrix National Marketing Manager

    Lodi, Sep 25, 2009

  2. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    > On Sep 25, 11:50 am, Lodi <> wrote:

    > the nearest thing to the "1GB a day for $50 a month" plan I used to
    > be on is "400MB a day for $50"

    Just realized that the "400MB a day with speed re-set to broadband
    each midnight" plan equals 12GB a month, which is 2GB more than the
    10GB a month capped offering for the same price. Still not 30GB a
    month but will re-assess after a month or so. Might spend an extra
    tenner, might not :)

    Lodi
    Lodi, Sep 25, 2009

  3. In article <89874b88-3cde-4f95-ab94-5042f0633598
    @t11g2000prh.googlegroups.com>, says...

    > > On Sep 25, 11:50 am, Lodi <> wrote:

    > > the nearest thing to the "1GB a day for $50 a month" plan I used to
    > > be on is "400MB a day for $50"

    > Just realized that the "400MB a day with speed re-set to broadband
    > each midnight" plan equals 12GB a month, which is 2GB more than the
    > 10GB a month capped offering for the same price. Still not 30GB a
    > month but will re-assess after a month or so. Might spend an extra
    > tenner, might not :)
    >
    > Lodi

    Mmmh, if that sort of plan is at all feasible depends on your usage
    patterns. Mine are, that I use quite little, say between 1 and 30 Mb a
    day normally but when I do the occasional download it's in the order of
    1.5 to 4.5 Gb. So on one hand I would not use my allowance, on the other
    hand when I want to really make use of it I'd get capped way too
    quickly. That daily cap thing really would not suit me.

    -P.
    Peter Huebner, Sep 25, 2009
  4. Lodi

    EMB Guest

    Lodi wrote:

    > Just realized that the "400MB a day with speed re-set to broadband
    > each midnight" plan equals 12GB a month, which is 2GB more than the
    > 10GB a month capped offering for the same price. Still not 30GB a
    > month but will re-assess after a month or so. Might spend an extra
    > tenner, might not :)

    Telecom's 'Big Time' plan with unlimited data but P2P traffic shaper
    during peak hours might be your answer.
    EMB, Sep 25, 2009
  5. Lodi

    RayC Guest

    "Donchano" <> wrote in message

    > On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 15:39:56 +1200, "geoff" <>
    > shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >
    >>Lodi wrote:
    >>> Ouch....I average 25 to 35 GB for my $50 a month. Now it's being
    >>> capped to 10GB per month then dial-up speeds.
    >>>
    >>> Admittedly this is pretty much in line with what most ISP's are
    >>> offering for $50 but the nearest thing to the "1GB a day for $50 a
    >>> month" plan I used to be on is "400MB a day for $50". Not even close.
    >>>
    >>> Must admit I got my money's worth from Actrix Go Large but it's
    >>> withdrawal is one less reason to hang around with them.

    >>I'm on Xtra 'Go Large' still. Great in principal, but the traffic-shaping
    >>is
    >>severe and irrational, and speeds are inherently limited at the best of
    >>times...

    > I must be lucky. I'm also still on Xtra's "Go Large Plan" and enjoy
    > excellent download speeds for a rural area. OTOH my upload speed is
    > still capped at 128kbps, but that's not a problem for me.
    >
    > BTW - just did an online DSL test and my download speed is:
    > 135270kbps

    My mate pays for a telecom 256k plan and gets a 2mb speed rate for free
    for over a year now.When I queried xtra they say we have un restricted
    the speeds.

    when I put this to Paradise.net they say you are getting the 256k plan you
    are paying for are you not. Live with it

    They missed the point I could get 8 times the speed by changing over to
    extra.

    such is life.
    RayC, Sep 25, 2009
  6. Lodi

    Mary Hanna Guest

    On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 11:50:05 +1200, Lodi <> wrote:

    >Due to our wholesale provider withdrawing the Go Large plan we are no longer
    >able to offer this product and it will be withdrawn from service on Monday
    >October 26th.
    >
    >What happens next?

    Go Cable no $40 phone line to pay for each month.

    So in the end your 10g plan end up costing some $90.
    Mary Hanna, Sep 25, 2009
  7. Lodi

    Lodi Guest

    > Mary Hanna wrote:
    >
    > Go Cable no $40 phone line to pay for each month.
    >

    > So in the end your 10g plan end up costing some $90.

    Cable isn't an option where I live and I have no real desire to move to the
    big smoke just to get a cheaper broadband package :)

    Just out of interest, if you're not paying for a phone line does that mean
    you get some sort of free voip included with your cable broadband package
    as opposed to using a mobile phone (which negates your argument).

    Lodi
    Lodi, Sep 25, 2009
  8. Lodi

    Mary Hanna Guest

    On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 19:25:23 +1200, Lodi <> wrote:

    >> Mary Hanna wrote:
    >>
    >> Go Cable no $40 phone line to pay for each month.
    >>

    >> So in the end your 10g plan end up costing some $90.

    >Cable isn't an option where I live and I have no real desire to move to the
    >big smoke just to get a cheaper broadband package :)
    >
    >Just out of interest, if you're not paying for a phone line does that mean
    >you get some sort of free voip included with your cable broadband package
    >as opposed to using a mobile phone (which negates your argument).
    >
    >Lodi

    A lot of people that I know only use Cell phones so why should they have to
    pay for a phone line they don't use, plus its more like $48 for a Telescum
    line.

    Some companies pay there workers for there Cell Phone.
    Mary Hanna, Sep 25, 2009
  9. Lodi

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Mary Hanna wrote:
    > On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 19:25:23 +1200, Lodi <> wrote:
    >
    >>> Mary Hanna wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Go Cable no $40 phone line to pay for each month.
    >>>

    >>> So in the end your 10g plan end up costing some $90.

    >> Cable isn't an option where I live and I have no real desire to move
    >> to the big smoke just to get a cheaper broadband package :)
    >>
    >> Just out of interest, if you're not paying for a phone line does
    >> that mean you get some sort of free voip included with your cable
    >> broadband package as opposed to using a mobile phone (which negates
    >> your argument).
    >>
    >> Lodi

    > A lot of people that I know only use Cell phones so why should they
    > have to pay for a phone line they don't use, plus its more like $48
    > for a Telescum line.
    >
    > Some companies pay there workers for there Cell Phone.

    Where 'Cell Phone'?

    Is this Woger?
    --
    Shaun.

    If there is a 'd' missing anywhere in my post it's likely due to my laptop's
    keyboard 'd' key currently needing to be hit harder than the other keys.
    ~misfit~, Sep 25, 2009
  10. Lodi

    EMB Guest

    Mary Hanna wrote:

    > A lot of people that I know only use Cell phones so why should they have to
    > pay for a phone line they don't use, plus its more like $48 for a Telescum
    > line.

    Be honest Woger. Where you live a Telecom line is $38 (as it is in all
    the 04 calling area), it's $38 in most of Christchurch, and it's $42 in
    Auckland. That's pretty well covered half the population, for any of
    the reminder the cost is $46.
    EMB, Sep 25, 2009
  11. Lodi

    Carnations Guest

    On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 11:50:05 +1200, Lodi wrote:

    > Ouch....I average 25 to 35 GB for my $50 a month. Now it's being capped
    > to 10GB per month then dial-up speeds.
    >
    > Admittedly this is pretty much in line with what most ISP's are offering
    > for $50 but the nearest thing to the "1GB a day for $50 a month" plan I
    > used to be on is "400MB a day for $50". Not even close.
    >
    > Must admit I got my money's worth from Actrix Go Large but it's
    > withdrawal is one less reason to hang around with them.

    Why doesn't Actrix either sue the pants off that monopoly provider, or if there is more than one provider
    supplying that product, why doesn't Actrix simply move over to that other provider?

    Carnations, Sep 25, 2009
  12. Lodi

    Carnations Guest

    On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 17:20:39 +1200, RayC wrote:

    > They missed the point I could get 8 times the speed by changing over to
    > extra.

    So why don't you? :eek:)

    Carnations, Sep 25, 2009
  13. Lodi

    Enkidu Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    >> A lot of people that I know only use Cell phones so why should they
    >> have to pay for a phone line they don't use, plus its more like $48
    >> for a Telescum line.
    >>
    >> Some companies pay there workers for there Cell Phone.

    > Where 'Cell Phone'?
    >
    > Is this Woger?

    Regardless, it is approaching the point where landlines will be rare.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Sep 25, 2009
  14. Lodi

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Cima wrote:
    > On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 20:55:54 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Mary Hanna wrote:

    >>> A lot of people that I know only use Cell phones so why should they
    >>> have to pay for a phone line they don't use, plus its more like $48
    >>> for a Telescum line.
    >>>
    >>> Some companies pay there workers for there Cell Phone.

    >> Where 'Cell Phone'?
    >>
    >> Is this Woger?

    > It has to be..
    >
    > ;)

    Yeah. Close enough anyway.

    <Plonk>

    <g>

    ~misfit~, Sep 25, 2009
  15. In article <>,
    says...

    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > >>
    > >> A lot of people that I know only use Cell phones so why should they
    > >> have to pay for a phone line they don't use, plus its more like $48
    > >> for a Telescum line.
    > >>
    > >> Some companies pay there workers for there Cell Phone.

    > > Where 'Cell Phone'?
    > >
    > > Is this Woger?
    > >

    > Regardless, it is approaching the point where landlines will be rare.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Heh. The whole district is mostly not covered by cellphone towers. I
    have to laugh at these people with their stupid cellphones who have to
    get into their SUVs to drive to the top of some hill to see if somebody
    left a message for them, or to call whoever ... yes, they save $48 on a
    landline, and they're probably spending that much on petrol, and
    probably a pile more on expensive cellphone calls and texts. Mine gets
    used maybe 4-5 times a year.

    Call me a reactionary dinosaur :p
    Peter Huebner, Sep 25, 2009
  16. Lodi

    Carnations Guest

    On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 03:08:39 +1200, Peter Huebner wrote:

    > Heh. The whole district is mostly not covered by cellphone towers. I
    > have to laugh at these people with their stupid cellphones who have to
    > get into their SUVs to drive to the top of some hill to see if somebody
    > left a message for them, or to call whoever ... yes, they save $48 on a
    > landline, and they're probably spending that much on petrol, and
    > probably a pile more on expensive cellphone calls and texts. Mine gets
    > used maybe 4-5 times a year.
    >
    > Call me a reactionary dinosaur :p

    Call you practical and sensible. ;o)

    Cellphones are stil far too expensive to be a practical replacement for the normal telephone for most
    people who have to pay for it themselves.

    Carnations, Sep 25, 2009
  17. Lodi

    Enkidu Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...

    >>> Where 'Cell Phone'?
    >>>
    >>> Is this Woger?
    >> >

    >> Regardless, it is approaching the point where landlines will be rare.

    > Heh. The whole district is mostly not covered by cellphone towers. I
    > have to laugh at these people with their stupid cellphones who have to
    > get into their SUVs to drive to the top of some hill to see if somebody
    > left a message for them, or to call whoever ... yes, they save $48 on a
    > landline, and they're probably spending that much on petrol, and
    > probably a pile more on expensive cellphone calls and texts. Mine gets
    > used maybe 4-5 times a year.
    >
    > Call me a reactionary dinosaur :p

    Those cellphone black spots will get smaller and smaller as time goes
    on, and I agree that people do spend more money on texts and other silly
    things, but I top up my phone with $20 every couple of months so it
    needn't be expensive.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Sep 26, 2009
  18. Lodi

    Mary Hanna Guest

    On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 10:03:37 +0000 (UTC), Carnations
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 11:50:05 +1200, Lodi wrote:
    >
    >> Ouch....I average 25 to 35 GB for my $50 a month. Now it's being capped
    >> to 10GB per month then dial-up speeds.
    >>
    >> Admittedly this is pretty much in line with what most ISP's are offering
    >> for $50 but the nearest thing to the "1GB a day for $50 a month" plan I
    >> used to be on is "400MB a day for $50". Not even close.
    >>
    >> Must admit I got my money's worth from Actrix Go Large but it's
    >> withdrawal is one less reason to hang around with them.

    >Why doesn't Actrix either sue the pants off that monopoly provider, or if there is more than one provider
    >supplying that product, why doesn't Actrix simply move over to that other provider?

    Yes Telescum and Telescum and Telescum, they have it all.
    Mary Hanna, Sep 26, 2009
  19. Lodi

    Mary Hanna Guest

    On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 22:37:05 +1200, Enkidu <> wrote:

    >~misfit~ wrote:
    >>>
    >>> A lot of people that I know only use Cell phones so why should they
    >>> have to pay for a phone line they don't use, plus its more like $48
    >>> for a Telescum line.
    >>>
    >>> Some companies pay there workers for there Cell Phone.

    >> Where 'Cell Phone'?
    >>
    >> Is this Woger?
    > >

    >Regardless, it is approaching the point where landlines will be rare.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Cliff

    Funny that as most people here use dial up and how dose ADSL work with out a
    land line..?
    Mary Hanna, Sep 26, 2009
  20. Lodi

    Richard Guest

    Carnations wrote:

    >> Call me a reactionary dinosaur :p

    > Call you practical and sensible. ;o)
    >
    > Cellphones are stil far too expensive to be a practical replacement for the normal telephone for most
    > people who have to pay for it themselves.

    Whys that? Seems heaps cheaper to me - particually with 2° doing 44c/min
    - thats less then the cost of calling from a landline on most plans. and
    the 22c to other 2° customers is pretty good.

    Back on vodafone with bestmate that covers a lot of peoples major
    calling destination, family sorts out others..

    Sorry, the idea of calling buildings in the local area for a flat fee
    only when I am in my building is not that appealing to me. Calling
    people is more useful IMO.
    Richard, Sep 26, 2009