Actrix messing around.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Shaun \(~misfit~\), Mar 10, 2006.

  1. I'm an Actrix Cyberjet 2M customer. The 2M UBS plan allows 1GB of data a
    day, then drops to 64/64kbps speed until midnite. I've been leaving
    downloads going overnight and then, if I have any 'heavy' surfing I want to
    do, like sites with a lot of graphics etc, I do it after midnite as I'm
    often rate-limited all day.

    However, the last two nights, the speed hasn't been re-set until around 3am.
    I keep checking the Actrix wesite, logging in and, on my usage page it tells
    me that I'm rate-limited until midnite. This has been really frustrating, as
    you can imagine, when it's 2am. The helpdesk closes at midnite so I left it
    until just now to call about it, one night and I'd have thought temporary
    problem, two nights and I want to know what's happening.

    My estimation of Actrix has just dropped. The helpdesk guy said "Yeah, the
    techs are trying different things, it's been around 2am recently huh?" I
    told him more like 3am and why wasn't an email sent out or a notice put on
    their web site? I've been getting increasingly frustrated for a couple hours
    after midnite for the last two nights, keep checking the Actrix site and
    seeing I'm still rate-limited. It's put my bed-time back 2-3 hours the last
    couple nights.

    The guy was really nonchalant about the whole thing, really annoyed me. The
    website still says that it gets re-set at midnite, it's not mentioned in the
    "Network Status" part of their site

    I didn't expect this type of cavalier attitude from them frankly, up until
    now they've been excellent. I'm seriously unimpressed.

    Just thought I'd give a heads up as I said I'd be reporting on my experience
    with Actrix.

    Must check the T&C.
    --
    Shaun (~misfit~)

    Shaun \(~misfit~\), Mar 10, 2006

  2. T'was the Fri, 10 Mar 2006 15:39:58 +1300 when I remembered "Shaun
    \(~misfit~\)" <> saying something like this:

    >Just thought I'd give a heads up as I said I'd be reporting on my experience
    >with Actrix.

    It seems ISPs have cycles of service from being really poor so people
    leave, to improving so people join, then swinging back and forth.
    Orcon was good, then not good, now not so bad. Iconz were good, then
    weren't Iconz anymore, now are pretty good. Ihug, good, bad, good.
    Xtra, ok, ok, okish.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Mar 10, 2006

  3. Waylon Kenning wrote:
    > T'was the Fri, 10 Mar 2006 15:39:58 +1300 when I remembered "Shaun
    > \(~misfit~\)" <> saying something like this:
    >
    >> Just thought I'd give a heads up as I said I'd be reporting on my
    >> experience with Actrix.

    > It seems ISPs have cycles of service from being really poor so people
    > leave, to improving so people join, then swinging back and forth.
    > Orcon was good, then not good, now not so bad. Iconz were good, then
    > weren't Iconz anymore, now are pretty good. Ihug, good, bad, good.
    > Xtra, ok, ok, okish.

    Yeah. I'm disappointed with Actrix not notifying me about their change
    though, that really sucks. I checked their T&C, they can basically do
    whatever they want, same as every other NZ ISP's T&C I've seen. LOL, if I
    continue to use the service after a change has been implemented, that is
    deemed to be acceptance of said change. Crazy huh? How are you supposed to
    notice a change if they don't inform you and you don't connect and notice
    it? Catch 22 clause, the T&C is full of them.
    --
    Shaun (~misfit~)

    "There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a
    concern for one's safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate
    was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All
    he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and
    would have to fly more missions. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and
    sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he
    was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had
    to. Yossarian was moved very deeply by the absolute simplicity of this
    clause of Catch-22 and let out a respectful whistle.
    "That's some catch, that Catch-22," he observed.
    "It's the best there is," Doc Daneeka agreed."

    Joseph Heller, from his novel Catch 22.

    Shaun \(~misfit~\), Mar 10, 2006
  4. T'was the Fri, 10 Mar 2006 17:00:24 +1300 when I remembered "Shaun
    \(~misfit~\)" <> saying something like this:

    >Yeah. I'm disappointed with Actrix not notifying me about their change
    >though, that really sucks. I checked their T&C, they can basically do
    >whatever they want, same as every other NZ ISP's T&C I've seen. LOL, if I
    >continue to use the service after a change has been implemented, that is
    >deemed to be acceptance of said change. Crazy huh? How are you supposed to
    >notice a change if they don't inform you and you don't connect and notice
    >it? Catch 22 clause, the T&C is full of them.

    Yeah, while not an illegal thing to do, this is certainly a
    questionably ethical thing to do. I guess at the very least they could
    give people some warning, it's not exactly a difficult thing to do.

    Then again, all these little notifications add up in terms of man
    hours and financial cost, perhaps a value too high for some companies
    to tolerate, so instead they include neat little clauses in their T&Cs
    that let them do this.

    I like Qwest's company phrase, "Spirit of Service". It shows
    commitment to customers and service from very first contact. Whether
    the company actually delivers on this, I can't say.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Mar 10, 2006
  5. Waylon Kenning wrote:
    > T'was the Fri, 10 Mar 2006 17:00:24 +1300 when I remembered "Shaun
    > \(~misfit~\)" <> saying something like this:
    >
    >> Yeah. I'm disappointed with Actrix not notifying me about their
    >> change though, that really sucks. I checked their T&C, they can
    >> basically do whatever they want, same as every other NZ ISP's T&C
    >> I've seen. LOL, if I continue to use the service after a change has
    >> been implemented, that is deemed to be acceptance of said change.
    >> Crazy huh? How are you supposed to notice a change if they don't
    >> inform you and you don't connect and notice it? Catch 22 clause, the
    >> T&C is full of them.

    > Yeah, while not an illegal thing to do, this is certainly a
    > questionably ethical thing to do. I guess at the very least they could
    > give people some warning, it's not exactly a difficult thing to do.

    Agreed. I got an email from the guy I spoke to on the helpdesk this
    afternoon. He said he's spoken to the technical guys and thay can't (won't?)
    say whether the change-over will be 12am or 2am (it's actually been after
    3am for me) as they are "currently testing the time change". Looks like
    they're trying to work out which time makes people use less data. If they
    make the change permanent I've a good mind to use it to get out of the 6
    month contract I have with them. I thought about it carefully and spoke to
    their sales people about it before I signed up. I decided I could live with
    being rate-limited until 12am each day. 2am's a different story though, it's
    obvious that the change is an attempt to reduce the amount of data that is
    being throughput. Especially when 2am actually turned out to be 3:15 am one
    night, then 2:55am the next.

    > Then again, all these little notifications add up in terms of man
    > hours and financial cost, perhaps a value too high for some companies
    > to tolerate, so instead they include neat little clauses in their T&Cs
    > that let them do this.

    A simple short paragraph in their "Network Status" comment on their home
    page couldn't take much effort surely? Not that I consider that sufficient
    notice for such a significant change to their service as this but it would
    be better than nothing.

    > I like Qwest's company phrase, "Spirit of Service". It shows
    > commitment to customers and service from very first contact. Whether
    > the company actually delivers on this, I can't say.

    That is good. It would be nice to see a company actually trying to make it's
    customers happy rather than screw them over.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun (~misfit~)

    Shaun \(~misfit~\), Mar 10, 2006
  6. Shaun \(~misfit~\)

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Shaun \(~misfit~\)" <> wrote in

    > Agreed. I got an email from the guy I spoke to on the helpdesk this
    > afternoon. He said he's spoken to the technical guys and thay can't
    > (won't?) say whether the change-over will be 12am or 2am (it's
    > actually been after 3am for me) as they are "currently testing the
    > time change". Looks like they're trying to work out which time makes
    > people use less data

    Hey misfit, just make sure that you let them know all that "feelings" in
    writing.
    I wanted to switch to Actrix after you posted here about it as I would get
    about 3x allowance for the same price, but then I calculated my costs to
    move and found that Telstra Clear are cheaper if I stay on their 10G plan.
    To switch makes the pay off a few yrs down the road. Let the unbundleing
    begin ASAP. One of the major barriers to my moving over to actrix is that
    I do not have Telecom phone 8).

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Mar 11, 2006
  7. Dave Taylor wrote:
    > "Shaun \(~misfit~\)" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Agreed. I got an email from the guy I spoke to on the helpdesk this
    >> afternoon. He said he's spoken to the technical guys and thay can't
    >> (won't?) say whether the change-over will be 12am or 2am (it's
    >> actually been after 3am for me) as they are "currently testing the
    >> time change". Looks like they're trying to work out which time makes
    >> people use less data

    > Hey misfit, just make sure that you let them know all that "feelings"
    > in writing.

    I guess I should do that huh? Just 'cause I say it to a helpdesk guy doesn't
    mean it's getting to the right ears I guess.

    > I wanted to switch to Actrix after you posted here about it as I
    > would get about 3x allowance for the same price, but then I
    > calculated my costs to move and found that Telstra Clear are cheaper
    > if I stay on their 10G plan. To switch makes the pay off a few yrs
    > down the road. Let the unbundleing begin ASAP. One of the major
    > barriers to my moving over to actrix is that I do not have Telecom
    > phone 8).

    I'm hoping for some major changes to ADSL soon. Maybe reduce the "A" factor
    as I spend half my data "allowance" and half my day trying to keep a good
    ratio with my torrents.
    --
    Shaun (~misfit~)

    Shaun \(~misfit~\), Mar 11, 2006
  8. Shaun \(~misfit~\)

    Vista Guest

    "Shaun (~misfit~)" <> wrote in message
    > I'm an Actrix Cyberjet 2M customer. The 2M UBS plan allows 1GB of data a
    > day, then drops to 64/64kbps speed until midnite. I've been leaving
    > downloads going overnight and then, if I have any 'heavy' surfing I want
    > to do, like sites with a lot of graphics etc, I do it after midnite as I'm
    > often rate-limited all day.
    >
    > However, the last two nights, the speed hasn't been re-set until around
    > 3am. I keep checking the Actrix wesite, logging in and, on my usage page
    > it tells me that I'm rate-limited until midnite. This has been really
    > frustrating, as you can imagine, when it's 2am. The helpdesk closes at
    > midnite so I left it until just now to call about it, one night and I'd
    > have thought temporary problem, two nights and I want to know what's
    > happening.
    >
    > My estimation of Actrix has just dropped. The helpdesk guy said "Yeah, the
    > techs are trying different things, it's been around 2am recently huh?" I
    > told him more like 3am and why wasn't an email sent out or a notice put on
    > their web site? I've been getting increasingly frustrated for a couple
    > hours after midnite for the last two nights, keep checking the Actrix site
    > and seeing I'm still rate-limited. It's put my bed-time back 2-3 hours the
    > last couple nights.
    >
    > The guy was really nonchalant about the whole thing, really annoyed me.
    > The website still says that it gets re-set at midnite, it's not mentioned
    > in the "Network Status" part of their site
    >
    > I didn't expect this type of cavalier attitude from them frankly, up until
    > now they've been excellent. I'm seriously unimpressed.
    >
    > Just thought I'd give a heads up as I said I'd be reporting on my
    > experience with Actrix.
    >
    > Must check the T&C.
    > --
    > Shaun (~misfit~)

    I was looking at eitehr using Actrix or Slingshot myself. Anyone have any
    feedback about slingshots broadband offerings? I like their 'pay as you go'
    , where you can either pay for additional bandwidth, or they slow you down
    to dialup speeds. Some of the others I have seen, just bill you extra, for
    additional 10GB units of bandwidth.

    Vista, Mar 12, 2006
  9. Vista wrote:
    > "Shaun (~misfit~)" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm an Actrix Cyberjet 2M customer. The 2M UBS plan allows 1GB of
    >> data a day, then drops to 64/64kbps speed until midnite. I've been
    >> leaving downloads going overnight and then, if I have any 'heavy'
    >> surfing I want to do, like sites with a lot of graphics etc, I do it
    >> after midnite as I'm often rate-limited all day.

    <snip>

    > I was looking at eitehr using Actrix or Slingshot myself. Anyone
    > have any feedback about slingshots broadband offerings? I like their
    > 'pay as you go' , where you can either pay for additional bandwidth,
    > or they slow you down to dialup speeds. Some of the others I have
    > seen, just bill you extra, for additional 10GB units of bandwidth.

    I will say one thing for Actrix, I had problems with my PPP connection
    dropping out ever since I was with Orcon. I spent weeks with Orcon's
    hinderdesk, being told it was my fault and, even if it wasn't, in excess of
    50 disconnects a month is considered acceptable by Orcon. Mainly because of
    being treated like a milch cow over this I changed to Actrix.

    After allowing a settling-in period of a couple of weeks with Actrix I was
    still getting the same problem so I rang their helpdesk. Less than 24 hours
    later I had been visited by a Telecom tech, had a green light on my line and
    equipment and had been changed over to a new port at the exchange (or
    whatever). I haven't had a PPP drop-out since I last re-booted my router 5
    or 6 days ago, something unheard-of in the previous six months. So much for
    Orcon and a big 'up' for Actrix on that one. Orcon wouldn't even consider
    involving Telecom, even though I was telling them that it was needed. In
    fact I didn't even get through their "first line of defence", the flow-chart
    following, hinderdesk 'droid, after three weeks of calling them several
    times a week.

    I have no personal experience with Slingshot.
    --
    Shaun (~misfit~)

    Shaun \(~misfit~\), Mar 12, 2006
  10. In article <4413d716$>, says...
    > After allowing a settling-in period of a couple of weeks with Actrix I was
    > still getting the same problem so I rang their helpdesk. Less than 24 hours
    > later I had been visited by a Telecom tech, had a green light on my line and
    > equipment and had been changed over to a new port at the exchange (or
    > whatever). I haven't had a PPP drop-out since I last re-booted my router 5
    > or 6 days ago, something unheard-of in the previous six months. So much for
    > Orcon and a big 'up' for Actrix on that one.

    Woot! Good for you.

    :) -P.

    Peter Huebner, Mar 12, 2006
  11. Shaun \(~misfit~\)

    Guest

    Howdy Shaun,

    Total pain to hear you're being messed around by Actrix. I feel a bit
    responsible cos I often plug them in my posts.

    I'm curious as to why, for you, the change-over time is critical. I'm
    just happy to be getting 1 Gig a day of downloads. Admittedly I use it
    up in four or five hours but I still see it as (currently) the best
    deal around.

    Please note, I'm definitely *NOT* criticising you for wanting your rate
    limiting removed at midnight. It's what you signed up for and are
    paying for so if it doesn't happen let the world know you're being
    screwed. I'm just curious as to why the time is critical.

    Do you mind posting the name of the helpdesk guy you were dealing with.
    I'm more than willing to have a go at him on your behalf for slack
    service. (Feel free not to if you don't want to)

    Regards
    Miguel

    , Mar 12, 2006
  12. wrote:
    > Howdy Shaun,
    >
    > Total pain to hear you're being messed around by Actrix. I feel a bit
    > responsible cos I often plug them in my posts.
    >
    > I'm curious as to why, for you, the change-over time is critical. I'm
    > just happy to be getting 1 Gig a day of downloads. Admittedly I use it
    > up in four or five hours but I still see it as (currently) the best
    > deal around.
    >
    > Please note, I'm definitely *NOT* criticising you for wanting your
    > rate limiting removed at midnight. It's what you signed up for and are
    > paying for so if it doesn't happen let the world know you're being
    > screwed. I'm just curious as to why the time is critical.
    >
    > Do you mind posting the name of the helpdesk guy you were dealing
    > with. I'm more than willing to have a go at him on your behalf for
    > slack service. (Feel free not to if you don't want to)

    Hey Miguel,

    Hehe, don't feel responsible mate, I took a lot into consideration when I
    chose Actrix. It was Actrix or Ihug for me at the time but Actrix worked out
    cheaper and, re-setting at midnight, worked quite well. (I didn't realise at
    the time that Ihug don't include uploads in their data caps, an important
    consideration for someone who uses bittorrent a lot, in retrospect they may
    have been a better choice. Or not. :) )

    The change-over time is critical for me as I often leave torrents
    downloading overnight so am rate-limited when I get up. I'm an invalid and
    an insomniac (to a degree), usually going to bed around 3am. When I get
    full-speed back at midnite that allows me to have a few hours of "full
    speed" surfing before firing up my bittorrent client and going to bed. That
    way I get the full 1GB a day. If the rate-limiting isn't lifted until 2an,
    obviously I either have to stay up later to browse the sites I want to read
    for the day or, alternatively, run bittorrent during the day.

    The problem with running bittorrent during the day is that, although Actrix
    don't traffic shape at all, the download speed during the day does suffer
    due to Telecom's 'contention' rates (is that the right term?). Therefore,
    doing it that way I often don't get my 1GB. Obviously, being a heavy user, I
    want to optimise my usage, I'm paying for 1GB a day and I want it, and on
    the terms I signed up for.

    I'll keep Andrew's name to myself for now, I'm about to ring them again
    later and see what's going on. I don't really want to change ISPs *again*
    but, if they're going to make the change to re-set time for the full rate
    permanently 2am I'll move on. It just doesn't fit my lifestyle. Shame,
    they've been good in all other ways.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun (~misfit~)

    Shaun \(~misfit~\), Mar 13, 2006
  13. Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <4413d716$>,
    > says...
    >> After allowing a settling-in period of a couple of weeks with Actrix
    >> I was still getting the same problem so I rang their helpdesk. Less
    >> than 24 hours later I had been visited by a Telecom tech, had a
    >> green light on my line and equipment and had been changed over to a
    >> new port at the exchange (or whatever). I haven't had a PPP drop-out
    >> since I last re-booted my router 5 or 6 days ago, something
    >> unheard-of in the previous six months. So much for Orcon and a big
    >> 'up' for Actrix on that one.
    >>

    > Woot! Good for you.
    >
    > :) -P.

    Yeah. :) I'm pleased. I kept trying to tell Orcon I needed to be escalated
    to Telecom but no luck. Actrix have fixed it for me though, no more
    drop-outs.

    I'm *very* pleased, thanks. :)
    --
    Shaun (~misfit~)

    Shaun \(~misfit~\), Mar 13, 2006
  14. Shaun \(~misfit~\)

    Guest

    > Hey Miguel,
    >
    > Hehe, don't feel responsible mate, I took a lot into consideration when I
    > chose Actrix. It was Actrix or Ihug for me at the time but Actrix worked out
    > cheaper and, re-setting at midnight, worked quite well. (I didn't realise at
    > the time that Ihug don't include uploads in their data caps, an important
    > consideration for someone who uses bittorrent a lot, in retrospect they may
    > have been a better choice. Or not. :) )

    Howdy Shaun,

    FWIW (and please don't flame me cos I know I'm doing wrong) I use
    BitTornado version 0.3.7 for my torrents and set it to dial-up which
    gives me an upload of 3k/Bs maximum but still allows the full 256k/Bs
    download. On the heavily seeded TV shows I download I usually get 350MB
    down and upload maybe 5-10 MB.

    Before you trash me let me say in my defence that I use E-Mule just as
    much and *always* run that at maximum upload (10 k/Bs) seeding episodes
    of "Jesse" cos there's hardly ever more than three of four of us
    world-wide seeding. My mission in life for the last year has been to
    seed "Jesse" to the world. Sad I know. Most days my 1 GB is about 700
    down 300 up.

    You're not wrong about the daytime speed vs the night-time speed.
    Really annoys me cos in an ideal world the shows I download from the
    US, which are usually uploaded by late afternoon NZ time, *should* be
    able to be downloaded in 30 minutes or so and then I *should* be able
    to watch them NZ evening time. But with daytime speeds of 20-30 k/Bs
    there's no hope. That's my big gripe with Telecom.

    Pretty petty in the grand scheme of things I know.

    > I'll keep Andrew's name to myself for now,

    Love it :)

    > Cheers,
    > --
    > Shaun (~misfit~)

    Regards
    Miguel

    , Mar 13, 2006
  15. wrote:
    >> Hey Miguel,
    >>
    >> Hehe, don't feel responsible mate, I took a lot into consideration
    >> when I chose Actrix. It was Actrix or Ihug for me at the time but
    >> Actrix worked out cheaper and, re-setting at midnight, worked quite
    >> well. (I didn't realise at the time that Ihug don't include uploads
    >> in their data caps, an important consideration for someone who uses
    >> bittorrent a lot, in retrospect they may have been a better choice.
    >> Or not. :) )

    > Howdy Shaun,
    >
    > FWIW (and please don't flame me cos I know I'm doing wrong) I use
    > BitTornado version 0.3.7 for my torrents and set it to dial-up which
    > gives me an upload of 3k/Bs maximum but still allows the full 256k/Bs
    > download. On the heavily seeded TV shows I download I usually get
    > 350MB down and upload maybe 5-10 MB.
    >
    > Before you trash me let me say in my defence that I use E-Mule just as
    > much and *always* run that at maximum upload (10 k/Bs) seeding
    > episodes of "Jesse" cos there's hardly ever more than three of four
    > of us world-wide seeding. My mission in life for the last year has
    > been to seed "Jesse" to the world. Sad I know. Most days my 1 GB is
    > about 700 down 300 up.

    Hey, as long as you're giving something back tothe P2P community it's all
    good. It doesn'y have to be what you download. I have certain torrents that
    I'm keeping alive, either ones that I particularly like or ones that took me
    ages to get, and I seed those. I might download a TV program and then stop
    seeding that as there could be 5,000 seeds. Not much point when one movie
    I've been seeding for a while now (1:12 ratio, heh) always seems to have
    around 30 leechers and only me and one other guy seeding. My uploading might
    be slow but, with things like that, if the person wants it enough they'll
    get it from me sooner or later (Later usually, bloody 128pbps upload is a
    joke).

    > You're not wrong about the daytime speed vs the night-time speed.
    > Really annoys me cos in an ideal world the shows I download from the
    > US, which are usually uploaded by late afternoon NZ time, *should* be
    > able to be downloaded in 30 minutes or so and then I *should* be able
    > to watch them NZ evening time. But with daytime speeds of 20-30 k/Bs
    > there's no hope. That's my big gripe with Telecom.
    >
    > Pretty petty in the grand scheme of things I know.

    If it's important to you (and/or me) it's important. Simple as that. $1,000
    a year per person isn't petty at all.

    >> I'll keep Andrew's name to myself for now,

    > Love it :)

    Hehee.

    Regards,
    --