    Many Thanks,

    Andy.

    , Jan 25, 2007

  2. <> wrote:

    > Actrix, Inspire and XNet are three ISPs that seem quite well regarded
    > in consumer customer satisfaction surveys.
    >
    > Would anyone who has had experience with these customers like to add
    > comments?
    >
    > Many Thanks,
    >

    > Andy.

    I was with Inspire Net back when I lived in Palmy years ago (about 1998
    - '99 IIRC) when they were still run out of a garage. So despite good
    experiences then I can't really comment on them nowadays, heh.

    However I CAN comment on Actrix who I'm with right now. I like their
    plans as there's absolutely no surprises at the end of the month. I know
    EXACTLY what I will be billed.
    I've had zero troubles with their hosting of my domain and very few ADSL
    issues - none of which were their fault *cough* Telescum *cough*
    Their customer service has also been great. Better than ANYONE ELSE
    since Inspire and Paradise Net over a decade ago. Friendly,
    knowledgeable and willing to go the extra mile :)

    HTH,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Jan 25, 2007

  3. Ross Guest

    On 24 Jan 2007 19:27:38 -0800, wrote:

    >Actrix, Inspire and XNet are three ISPs that seem quite well regarded
    >in consumer customer satisfaction surveys.
    >
    >Would anyone who has had experience with these customers like to add
    >comments?
    >
    >Many Thanks,
    >

    >Andy.

    I've used both.
    The only thing I didn't like with Inspire, was that when I moved to
    another ISP, my old email address became a "black hole". Emails sent
    there did not bounce. I could not sign in which is fair enough; but
    there is no option to have the emails forwarded for a while.

    I'm sticking with Actrix now due to the excellent service. Was
    considering a cheaper plan with Slingshot but have heard too many
    horror stories.

    Ross

    Ross, Jan 25, 2007
  4. ~misfit~ Guest

    Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > Actrix, Inspire and XNet are three ISPs that seem quite well
    > > regarded in consumer customer satisfaction surveys.
    > >
    > > Would anyone who has had experience with these customers like to add
    > > comments?
    > >
    > > Many Thanks,
    > >

    > > Andy.

    > I was with Inspire Net back when I lived in Palmy years ago (about
    > 1998 - '99 IIRC) when they were still run out of a garage. So despite
    > good experiences then I can't really comment on them nowadays, heh.
    >
    > However I CAN comment on Actrix who I'm with right now. I like their
    > plans as there's absolutely no surprises at the end of the month. I
    > know EXACTLY what I will be billed.
    > I've had zero troubles with their hosting of my domain and very few
    > ADSL issues - none of which were their fault *cough* Telescum *cough*
    > Their customer service has also been great. Better than ANYONE ELSE
    > since Inspire and Paradise Net over a decade ago. Friendly,
    > knowledgeable and willing to go the extra mile :)
    >
    > HTH,
    > Jamie Kahn Genet

    I second Jamie's comments about Actrix. They are the single most pleasant
    and helpful company that I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with. Not
    only that but their service is competitively priced. Beats me how they can
    afford to have such excellent, knowedgable and polite staff on what all the
    other ISP's seem to think is a tiny profit margin.

    Actrix are number one in my books.
    --
    Shaun. (Ex-customer of Xtra and Orcon).

    ~misfit~, Jan 25, 2007
  5. David Empson Guest

    ~misfit~ <> wrote:

    > Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > > <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Actrix, Inspire and XNet are three ISPs that seem quite well
    > > > regarded in consumer customer satisfaction surveys.
    > > >
    > > > Would anyone who has had experience with these customers like to add
    > > > comments?

    > > I was with Inspire Net back when I lived in Palmy years ago (about
    > > 1998 - '99 IIRC) when they were still run out of a garage. So despite
    > > good experiences then I can't really comment on them nowadays, heh.
    > >
    > > However I CAN comment on Actrix who I'm with right now. I like their
    > > plans as there's absolutely no surprises at the end of the month. I
    > > know EXACTLY what I will be billed.
    > > I've had zero troubles with their hosting of my domain and very few
    > > ADSL issues - none of which were their fault *cough* Telescum *cough*
    > > Their customer service has also been great. Better than ANYONE ELSE
    > > since Inspire and Paradise Net over a decade ago. Friendly,
    > > knowledgeable and willing to go the extra mile :)

    > I second Jamie's comments about Actrix. They are the single most pleasant
    > and helpful company that I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with. Not
    > only that but their service is competitively priced. Beats me how they can
    > afford to have such excellent, knowedgable and polite staff on what all the
    > other ISP's seem to think is a tiny profit margin.

    I agree with both of those sets of comments. I've been with Actrix since
    about 1992, almost from when they started. They have been through many
    changes over the years (services offered, management structure, people,
    etc.) but I've always found them to be very good to deal with.

    My account type has changed a few times - I started out with a dialup
    terminal session to a UNIX shell, then a text-based menu driven bulletin
    board system, then PPP dialup, now ADSL.

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Jan 25, 2007
  6. Richard Guest

    Ross wrote:

    > I've used both.
    > The only thing I didn't like with Inspire, was that when I moved to
    > another ISP, my old email address became a "black hole". Emails sent
    > there did not bounce. I could not sign in which is fair enough; but
    > there is no option to have the emails forwarded for a while.
    >
    > I'm sticking with Actrix now due to the excellent service. Was
    > considering a cheaper plan with Slingshot but have heard too many
    > horror stories.

    Because it is their email address to do as they please with. ihug or
    xtra dont let you keep using it unless you maintain at least a dialup
    account with them.

    If changing email address bothers you then you should have your own
    domain name and not use someone elses.

    Richard, Jan 25, 2007
  7. Blue Guest

    On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 19:27:38 -0800, andy.usenet wrote:

    > Actrix, Inspire and XNet are three ISPs that seem quite well regarded
    > in consumer customer satisfaction surveys.
    >
    > Would anyone who has had experience with these customers like to add
    > comments?

    You have looked back over the archives of this ng I trust.

    Blue, Jan 25, 2007
  8. philip Guest

    wrote:
    > Actrix, Inspire and XNet are three ISPs that seem quite well regarded
    > in consumer customer satisfaction surveys.
    >
    > Would anyone who has had experience with these customers like to add
    > comments?
    >
    > Many Thanks,
    >

    > Andy.

    Using XNet, "unlimited" plan, speeds what I expect in Northland, meaning
    variable according to time of day. An average 390 MB episode of the
    Dakar Rally arrives over BitTorrent in a bit over an hour.

    Haven't tried gaming, audio and video streamaing work well for my purposes.

    They also have a full Usenet news server, a help desk that knows who I
    am and how to help me and transferred my account from Orcon within 24
    hours, without the usual Telecom-inspired delays and messing about. They
    haven't tried to sell me toll calls I won't use or do any other thing
    that has annoyed me.

    So far.

    Philip

    philip, Jan 26, 2007
  9. Ross Guest

    On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 23:39:43 +1300, Richard <> wrote:

    >Ross wrote:
    >
    >> I've used both.
    >> The only thing I didn't like with Inspire, was that when I moved to
    >> another ISP, my old email address became a "black hole". Emails sent
    >> there did not bounce. I could not sign in which is fair enough; but
    >> there is no option to have the emails forwarded for a while.
    >>
    >> I'm sticking with Actrix now due to the excellent service. Was
    >> considering a cheaper plan with Slingshot but have heard too many
    >> horror stories.

    >Because it is their email address to do as they please with. ihug or
    >xtra dont let you keep using it unless you maintain at least a dialup
    >account with them.
    >
    >If changing email address bothers you then you should have your own
    >domain name and not use someone elses.

    My Clear webmail still works - was a customer from 2002-2004.
    My Xtra webmail still works - was a customer from 2004 - mid 2006.
    My Orcon webmail has worked for 8 years - was never a customer ;-)

    Ross

    Ross, Jan 26, 2007
  10. On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 15:13:00 +1300, philip <> wrote
    in <news:45b963a4$>:

    > wrote:
    >> Actrix, Inspire and XNet are three ISPs that seem quite well regarded
    >> in consumer customer satisfaction surveys.
    >>
    >> Would anyone who has had experience with these customers like to add
    >> comments?
    >>
    >> Many Thanks,
    >>
    >> Andy.
    >>

    > Using XNet, "unlimited" plan, speeds what I expect in Northland, meaning
    > variable according to time of day. An average 390 MB episode of the
    > Dakar Rally arrives over BitTorrent in a bit over an hour.
    >
    > Haven't tried gaming, audio and video streamaing work well for my purposes.
    >
    > They also have a full Usenet news server, a help desk that knows who I
    > am and how to help me and transferred my account from Orcon within 24
    > hours, without the usual Telecom-inspired delays and messing about. They
    > haven't tried to sell me toll calls I won't use or do any other thing
    > that has annoyed me.
    >
    > So far.
    >
    > Philip

    I, too, have no complaints whatever with XNet (I have been with them for
    just under a year on their 2Mb/s 10Gb plan) except that I found the Sewth
    Effrican guy on the hepdesk a trifle condescending. Other than that,
    10/10.

    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    .... There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Jan 26, 2007
  11. analogman Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Actrix, Inspire and XNet are three ISPs that seem quite well regarded
    > in consumer customer satisfaction surveys.
    >
    > Would anyone who has had experience with these customers like to add
    > comments?
    >
    > Many Thanks,
    >

    > Andy.

    Like most isp's xnet don't admit when they are at fault for problems at
    their end, in fact they won't acknowledge that there even is a problem at
    the non-user end in my experience and like most helpdesks they are a brick
    wall when it comes to dealing witth problems at the isp end.

    analogman, Jan 26, 2007
  12. analogman Guest

    "Nicolaas Hawkins" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 15:13:00 +1300, philip <> wrote
    > in <news:45b963a4$>:
    >
    > > wrote:
    > >> Actrix, Inspire and XNet are three ISPs that seem quite well regarded
    > >> in consumer customer satisfaction surveys.
    > >>
    > >> Would anyone who has had experience with these customers like to add
    > >> comments?
    > >>
    > >> Many Thanks,
    > >>
    > >> Andy.
    > >>

    > > Using XNet, "unlimited" plan, speeds what I expect in Northland, meaning
    > > variable according to time of day. An average 390 MB episode of the
    > > Dakar Rally arrives over BitTorrent in a bit over an hour.
    > >
    > > Haven't tried gaming, audio and video streamaing work well for my

    purposes.

    > > They also have a full Usenet news server, a help desk that knows who I
    > > am and how to help me and transferred my account from Orcon within 24
    > > hours, without the usual Telecom-inspired delays and messing about. They
    > > haven't tried to sell me toll calls I won't use or do any other thing
    > > that has annoyed me.
    > >
    > > So far.
    > >
    > > Philip

    > I, too, have no complaints whatever with XNet (I have been with them for
    > just under a year on their 2Mb/s 10Gb plan) except that I found the Sewth
    > Effrican guy on the hepdesk a trifle condescending. Other than that,
    > 10/10.

    There's more than 1 guy on the help desk with an extreme arrogant,
    condescending and downright difficult manner, I did strike 1 guy that was
    fine but more often than not I struck an arrogant guy.

    analogman, Jan 26, 2007
  13. <> wrote in message
    > Actrix, Inspire and XNet are three ISPs that seem quite well regarded
    > in consumer customer satisfaction surveys.
    >
    > Would anyone who has had experience with these customers like to add
    > comments?
    >
    > Many Thanks,
    >

    > Andy.

    I've been with Inspire net for quite a few months now.
    Although I had a lot of problems when GoLarge or Unleashed or whatever came
    out I complained to Telecom.
    Telecom sent out their contractor who said our problems were due to the
    Telecom unleashing the new plans.
    Later that same day the problems mysteriously disappeared and the quality is
    very good, again.
    I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Inspire, but as another poster said your
    e-mail account is completely dead the day you leave Inspire, so if you don't
    have some other mail account that may be a deciding factor.

    J&H.

    Jekyll and Hyde, Jan 26, 2007
  14. Blue Guest

    On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 22:42:32 +1300, David Empson wrote:

    > I agree with both of those sets of comments. I've been with Actrix since
    > about 1992, almost from when they started. They have been through many
    > changes over the years (services offered, management structure, people,
    > etc.) but I've always found them to be very good to deal with.
    >
    > My account type has changed a few times - I started out with a dialup
    > terminal session to a UNIX shell, then a text-based menu driven bulletin
    > board system, then PPP dialup, now ADSL.

    This says alot. A person who posts here, read is knowledgeable, has stayed
    with the same ISP for eons.

    It also shows that Actrix has evolved in the technology but not in the
    service area. Read always had good service and plan to keep it that way.

    Blue, Jan 26, 2007
  15. Blue Guest

    On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 20:18:08 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > I second Jamie's comments about Actrix. They are the single most pleasant
    > and helpful company that I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with. Not
    > only that but their service is competitively priced. Beats me how they can
    > afford to have such excellent, knowedgable and polite staff on what all the
    > other ISP's seem to think is a tiny profit margin.

    Maybe they have knowledgeable customers who do not comsume huge amounts of
    help desk time, maybe they are happy with the profit they are making, and
    maybe they understand that great customer service will keep them in
    business. No customers, no profit, no company.

    Blue, Jan 26, 2007
  16. ~misfit~ Guest

    Ross wrote:
    > On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 23:39:43 +1300, Richard <> wrote:
    >
    > > Ross wrote:
    > >
    > > > I've used both.
    > > > The only thing I didn't like with Inspire, was that when I moved
    > > > to another ISP, my old email address became a "black hole".
    > > > Emails sent there did not bounce. I could not sign in which is
    > > > fair enough; but there is no option to have the emails forwarded
    > > > for a while.
    > > >
    > > > I'm sticking with Actrix now due to the excellent service. Was
    > > > considering a cheaper plan with Slingshot but have heard too many
    > > > horror stories.

    > > Because it is their email address to do as they please with. ihug or
    > > xtra dont let you keep using it unless you maintain at least a
    > > dialup account with them.
    > >
    > > If changing email address bothers you then you should have your own
    > > domain name and not use someone elses.

    > My Clear webmail still works - was a customer from 2002-2004.
    > My Xtra webmail still works - was a customer from 2004 - mid 2006.
    > My Orcon webmail has worked for 8 years - was never a customer ;-)

    'Xactly. I use Orcon (NNTP, their pop3 and the smtp of my ISP du jour) as my
    Primary. It's a "free lifetime account" and I rang their helpdesk to confirm
    this. I was told that, as long as Orcon is in existence, the free emails
    will be too.

    I had the account long before I became one of their customers and I kept it
    (made sure that the helldesk folks knew it was originally a free one and
    that I wanted to keep it) when I switched to Actrix.

    Saves the problem of having to contact the whole addressbook if I decide to
    change ISPs. Not that I forsee ever changing from Actrix.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jan 27, 2007
  17. ~misfit~ Guest

    analogman wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    > > Actrix, Inspire and XNet are three ISPs that seem quite well
    > > regarded in consumer customer satisfaction surveys.
    > >
    > > Would anyone who has had experience with these customers like to add
    > > comments?
    > >
    > > Many Thanks,
    > >

    > > Andy.
    > >

    > Like most isp's xnet don't admit when they are at fault for problems
    > at their end, in fact they won't acknowledge that there even is a
    > problem at the non-user end in my experience and like most helpdesks
    > they are a brick wall when it comes to dealing witth problems at the
    > isp end.

    Then Actrix isn't like "most isp's" (sic).

    They are more than happy to take my word for it that there are no problems
    at my end (unlike Orcon who tried to make me jump through hoops for a month,
    then refused to escalate my problem to Telecom). They will then check into
    whether it's a problem with their system (was once, got profuse apologies)
    and if not they don't hesitate to contact Telecom, then call me back with
    regular updates until the problem's sorted.

    I'm pleased that I'm with an ISP that is far superior to "most isp's".
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jan 27, 2007
  18. David Empson <> wrote:

    > ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    >
    > > Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

    > > > I was with Inspire Net back when I lived in Palmy years ago (about
    > > > 1998 - '99 IIRC) when they were still run out of a garage. So despite
    > > > good experiences then I can't really comment on them nowadays, heh.
    > > >
    > > > However I CAN comment on Actrix who I'm with right now. I like their
    > > > plans as there's absolutely no surprises at the end of the month. I
    > > > know EXACTLY what I will be billed.
    > > > I've had zero troubles with their hosting of my domain and very few
    > > > ADSL issues - none of which were their fault *cough* Telescum *cough*
    > > > Their customer service has also been great. Better than ANYONE ELSE
    > > > since Inspire and Paradise Net over a decade ago. Friendly,
    > > > knowledgeable and willing to go the extra mile :)

    > > I second Jamie's comments about Actrix. They are the single most pleasant
    > > and helpful company that I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with. Not
    > > only that but their service is competitively priced. Beats me how they can
    > > afford to have such excellent, knowedgable and polite staff on what all the
    > > other ISP's seem to think is a tiny profit margin.

    > I agree with both of those sets of comments. I've been with Actrix since
    > about 1992, almost from when they started. They have been through many
    > changes over the years (services offered, management structure, people,
    > etc.) but I've always found them to be very good to deal with.
    >
    > My account type has changed a few times - I started out with a dialup
    > terminal session to a UNIX shell, then a text-based menu driven bulletin
    > board system, then PPP dialup, now ADSL.

    Actrix ought to start up a marketing campaign with the slogan "Actrix.
    Not wankers" :-D Cause the other ISPs often are IME. Or perhaps "Service
    that doesn't suck"? Thoughts?

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Jan 28, 2007
  19. Ross <> wrote:

    > On 24 Jan 2007 19:27:38 -0800, wrote:
    >
    > >Actrix, Inspire and XNet are three ISPs that seem quite well regarded
    > >in consumer customer satisfaction surveys.
    > >
    > >Would anyone who has had experience with these customers like to add
    > >comments?
    > >
    > >Many Thanks,
    > >

    > >Andy.

    > I've used both.
    > The only thing I didn't like with Inspire, was that when I moved to
    > another ISP, my old email address became a "black hole". Emails sent
    > there did not bounce. I could not sign in which is fair enough; but
    > there is no option to have the emails forwarded for a while.
    >
    > I'm sticking with Actrix now due to the excellent service. Was
    > considering a cheaper plan with Slingshot but have heard too many
    > horror stories.
    >
    > Ross

    Last time I checked my Inspire.net email account back in 2005 (I stopped
    using Inspire.net back in 2000) it was still active :-D Weird.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Jan 28, 2007