    Cheers,
    --
    ~Shaun~

    ~misfit~, Mar 17, 2006

  2. ~misfit~

    Vista Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > It's official, they've changed their web-site to state that they re-set at
    > 2am now, not midnight.
    >
    > And yet I was promised an email when the decision was finally made.....
    > Still don't have it. Lucky I checked their home page and the terms of
    > their plans, I have no idea when it changed. The last helpdesk guy I spoke
    > to said that they didn't know themselves until customers started ringing
    > in to ask about it, I wonder if they know that it's now permanent?
    >
    > I was going to try yet another ISP (Ihug) if Actrix implemented this
    > change but with the volatility in the market right now, I think I'll wait
    > a while. Instead I'll wring every byte of data I can out of them as a
    > protest, running Azureus constantly, even while rate-limited. (I already
    > voiced my displeasure at the then proposed change).
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > ~Shaun~

    NOt sure if I am missing something, but why does it matter if it is reset at
    12am or 2am.

    Vista, Mar 17, 2006

  3. ~misfit~

    Richard Guest

    Vista wrote:

    > NOt sure if I am missing something, but why does it matter if it is reset at
    > 12am or 2am.

    Because at 12am you can still get a few hours of use in before going to bed,
    whereas at 2 its almost bed time for most people?

    Richard, Mar 17, 2006
  4. ~misfit~

    Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > It's official, they've changed their web-site to state that they re-set at
    > 2am now, not midnight.
    >
    > And yet I was promised an email when the decision was finally made.....
    > Still don't have it. Lucky I checked their home page and the terms of their
    > plans, I have no idea when it changed. The last helpdesk guy I spoke to said
    > that they didn't know themselves until customers started ringing in to ask
    > about it, I wonder if they know that it's now permanent?
    >
    > I was going to try yet another ISP (Ihug) if Actrix implemented this change
    > but with the volatility in the market right now, I think I'll wait a while.
    > Instead I'll wring every byte of data I can out of them as a protest,
    > running Azureus constantly, even while rate-limited. (I already voiced my
    > displeasure at the then proposed change).
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > ~Shaun~

    Howdy Shaun,

    Incredibly well spotted. A bit rude not to notify customers of the
    change. You should see if the T&C have been broken to get out of your
    contract (or, as you mentioned, wait a few more weeks and see what's
    offered).

    Funnily enough 2:00am works better for me than midnight (and even
    better once NZ daylight saving ends). I often trade the NYSE and it
    used to mean I'd pause my downloads until 3:00am NZDST (NYSE
    pre-opening) just in case I needed the extra speed of 2Mb/s. Now I can
    get another two hours of 64kB/s from the "previous day" instead of
    pausing for three hours on my current day. (115MB of uploads and
    downloads. Every little bit helps the community).

    I'm going to mail the Actrix help desk asking why the customers
    weren't notified.

    I mailed them yesterday with my two cents worth of new plans ideas (
    basically don't do what Orcon has done) and the helpdesk guy mailed
    back saying that he's actually on Orcon in his flat (his flatmate
    apparently) and he agrees with what's being said on nz.comp re their
    new plans. Good to see the helpdesk read the boards.

    Regards
    Miguel

    , Mar 17, 2006
  5. ~misfit~

    Guest

    wrote:

    > I'm going to mail the Actrix help desk asking why the customers
    > weren't notified.

    How's that... I mailed off my moan at 2:59pm

    <snip>
    Howdy team,

    Just waiting for the courtesy email from you telling us that you've
    changed
    the time for lifting the rate-limiting..........

    still waiting...............

    and waiting.............

    yep, you guessed it................

    <end snip>

    and got the official reply three minutes later at 3:02pm

    <snip>
    Dear CyberJet Customer,

    As you are aware, Actrix CyberJet users have a daily traffic limit and
    until today, usage amounts have been reset every night at midnight.

    Recent testing has confirmed that by moving the usage reset time from
    midnight to 2am we are able to provide a better service to those
    browsing
    later at night, without affecting other users.

    As of today this will be a permanent change and will apply to all
    CyberJet
    customers.

    Regards,

    <end snip>

    Moan and ye shall be mollified :)

    Regards
    Miguel

    , Mar 17, 2006
  6. ~misfit~

    Vista Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > Vista wrote:
    >
    >> NOt sure if I am missing something, but why does it matter if it is reset
    >> at 12am or 2am.

    > Because at 12am you can still get a few hours of use in before going to
    > bed, whereas at 2 its almost bed time for most people?

    Ah, that makes sense and I suppose that is the reason why they did it.
    However he could also get up earlier in the morning.

    Vista, Mar 17, 2006
  7. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Vista wrote:
    > "Richard" <> wrote in message
    >> Vista wrote:
    >>
    >>> NOt sure if I am missing something, but why does it matter if it is
    >>> reset at 12am or 2am.

    >> Because at 12am you can still get a few hours of use in before going
    >> to bed, whereas at 2 its almost bed time for most people?

    > Ah, that makes sense and I suppose that is the reason why they did it.
    > However he could also get up earlier in the morning.

    Richard is correct in his statement.

    Yes, I could get up earlier in the morning. However, if I want to do that it
    will be my choice, not something dictated by my ISP. I prefer to browse for
    a while before I sleep, as some people like to read a book.

    I joined Actrix recently and the thing that swung it (between Actrix and
    Ihug) was the midnight re-set. I just got a form email (3:02pm) from Actrix
    stating that:

    "Recent testing has confirmed that by moving the usage reset time from
    midnight to 2am we are able to provide a better service to those browsing
    later at night, without affecting other users."

    I have asked for an explaination of the above. How they tested, how it
    benefits "those browsing later at night" etc.

    I wonder if I get a reply.
    --
    ~Shaun~

    ~misfit~, Mar 17, 2006
  8. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    wrote:
    > wrote:
    >

    >> I'm going to mail the Actrix help desk asking why the customers
    >> weren't notified.
    >>

    > How's that... I mailed off my moan at 2:59pm
    >
    > <snip>
    > Howdy team,
    >
    > Just waiting for the courtesy email from you telling us that you've
    > changed
    > the time for lifting the rate-limiting..........
    >
    > still waiting...............
    >
    > and waiting.............
    >
    > yep, you guessed it................
    >
    > <end snip>
    >
    > and got the official reply three minutes later at 3:02pm
    >
    > <snip>
    > Dear CyberJet Customer,
    >
    > As you are aware, Actrix CyberJet users have a daily traffic limit and
    > until today, usage amounts have been reset every night at midnight.

    I told them this was crap, it's been at least a week now.

    > Recent testing has confirmed that by moving the usage reset time from
    > midnight to 2am we are able to provide a better service to those
    > browsing
    > later at night, without affecting other users.
    >
    > As of today this will be a permanent change and will apply to all
    > CyberJet
    > customers.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > <end snip>
    >
    > Moan and ye shall be mollified :)
    >
    > Regards
    > Miguel

    Thanks Miguel, I was going to get in touch myself and you beat me to it. :)

    See my other post in this thread where I mention that I've replied to the
    email asking exactly how it was tested and how it benefits those browsing
    later at night.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~Shaun~

    ~misfit~, Mar 17, 2006
  9. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> It's official, they've changed their web-site to state that they
    >> re-set at 2am now, not midnight.
    >>
    >> And yet I was promised an email when the decision was finally
    >> made..... Still don't have it. Lucky I checked their home page and
    >> the terms of their plans, I have no idea when it changed. The last
    >> helpdesk guy I spoke to said that they didn't know themselves until
    >> customers started ringing in to ask about it, I wonder if they know
    >> that it's now permanent?
    >>
    >> I was going to try yet another ISP (Ihug) if Actrix implemented this
    >> change but with the volatility in the market right now, I think I'll
    >> wait a while. Instead I'll wring every byte of data I can out of
    >> them as a protest, running Azureus constantly, even while
    >> rate-limited. (I already voiced my displeasure at the then proposed
    >> change).
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> --
    >> ~Shaun~

    > Howdy Shaun,

    Hey Miguel.

    > Incredibly well spotted. A bit rude not to notify customers of the
    > change. You should see if the T&C have been broken to get out of your
    > contract (or, as you mentioned, wait a few more weeks and see what's
    > offered).

    I read the T&C a while back and quoted it here, mentioning the catch-22
    clause. Usage of the service is deemed to be acceptance of any change... Or
    words to that effect. Good clause, great in fact. How are you supposed to
    know of changes and cease to use it if they don't notify you until after
    they've been implemented and it's an "always-on" connection? "Too late
    sucker, you've used it already".

    I wonder how legal that one is?

    > Funnily enough 2:00am works better for me than midnight (and even
    > better once NZ daylight saving ends). I often trade the NYSE and it
    > used to mean I'd pause my downloads until 3:00am NZDST (NYSE
    > pre-opening) just in case I needed the extra speed of 2Mb/s. Now I can
    > get another two hours of 64kB/s from the "previous day" instead of
    > pausing for three hours on my current day. (115MB of uploads and
    > downloads. Every little bit helps the community).

    Oh well, I'm pleased that it benefits someone. :)

    > I'm going to mail the Actrix help desk asking why the customers
    > weren't notified.

    Good man, I'm going to have to start emailing rather than ringing up, it
    seems to get more results, faster.

    > I mailed them yesterday with my two cents worth of new plans ideas (
    > basically don't do what Orcon has done) and the helpdesk guy mailed
    > back saying that he's actually on Orcon in his flat (his flatmate
    > apparently)

    I've spoken to the same guy. He seemed pretty good, excellent compared with
    OrCONs hinderdesk crew.

    > and he agrees with what's being said on nz.comp re their
    > new plans. Good to see the helpdesk read the boards.

    I wonder if it's because I told him a couple weeks ago about the discussions
    going on here that involve Actrix as well as other ISPs?

    Cheers,
    --
    ~Shaun~

    ~misfit~, Mar 17, 2006
  10. ~misfit~

    Vista Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Vista wrote:
    >> "Richard" <> wrote in message

    >>> Because at 12am you can still get a few hours of use in before going
    >>> to bed, whereas at 2 its almost bed time for most people?

    >> Ah, that makes sense and I suppose that is the reason why they did it.
    >> However he could also get up earlier in the morning.

    > Richard is correct in his statement.
    >
    > Yes, I could get up earlier in the morning. However, if I want to do that
    > it will be my choice, not something dictated by my ISP. I prefer to browse
    > for a while before I sleep, as some people like to read a book.
    >
    > I joined Actrix recently and the thing that swung it (between Actrix and
    > Ihug) was the midnight re-set. I just got a form email (3:02pm) from
    > Actrix stating that:
    >
    > "Recent testing has confirmed that by moving the usage reset time from
    > midnight to 2am we are able to provide a better service to those browsing
    > later at night, without affecting other users."
    >
    > I have asked for an explaination of the above. How they tested, how it
    > benefits "those browsing later at night" etc.
    >
    > I wonder if I get a reply.
    > --
    > ~Shaun~

    Fair enough. Do you have to pay a churn fee if you move to ihug, as Actrix
    have changed their terms and conditions on usage.

    Vista, Mar 17, 2006
  11. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Vista wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> Vista wrote:
    >>> "Richard" <> wrote in message

    >>> Ah, that makes sense and I suppose that is the reason why they did
    >>> it. However he could also get up earlier in the morning.

    >> Richard is correct in his statement.
    >>
    >> Yes, I could get up earlier in the morning. However, if I want to do
    >> that it will be my choice, not something dictated by my ISP. I
    >> prefer to browse for a while before I sleep, as some people like to
    >> read a book. I joined Actrix recently and the thing that swung it
    >> (between Actrix
    >> and Ihug) was the midnight re-set. I just got a form email (3:02pm)
    >> from Actrix stating that:
    >>
    >> "Recent testing has confirmed that by moving the usage reset time
    >> from midnight to 2am we are able to provide a better service to
    >> those browsing later at night, without affecting other users."
    >>
    >> I have asked for an explaination of the above. How they tested, how
    >> it benefits "those browsing later at night" etc.
    >>
    >> I wonder if I get a reply.

    > Fair enough. Do you have to pay a churn fee if you move to ihug, as
    > Actrix have changed their terms and conditions on usage.

    I haven't looked at the new T&C but yes, they paid my ~$40 churn fee as long
    as I stayed with them for 6 months. As it turns out there's 4.5 months left
    on that, it'll probably be at least that long until things shake out with
    the DSL market. I'm not moving in a hurry, I feel now's not the time to be
    making decisions on a new ISP.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~Shaun~

    ~misfit~, Mar 17, 2006
  12. ~misfit~

    RJ Guest

    In article <1142565941.983525@ftpsrv1>, says...

    > "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > > Vista wrote:
    > >
    > >> NOt sure if I am missing something, but why does it matter if it is reset
    > >> at 12am or 2am.

    > > Because at 12am you can still get a few hours of use in before going to
    > > bed, whereas at 2 its almost bed time for most people?

    > Ah, that makes sense and I suppose that is the reason why they did it.
    > However he could also get up earlier in the morning.

    What is this about. Is it from going over the 350MB daily limit.

    Who cares that is a helluva lot of traffic
    Who in their right mind uses so much traffic

    RJ, Mar 17, 2006
  13. ~misfit~

    David Empson Guest

    ~misfit~ <> wrote:

    > See my other post in this thread where I mention that I've replied to the
    > email asking exactly how it was tested and how it benefits those browsing
    > later at night.

    My interpretation is that it benefits people who AREN'T using up all of
    their daily limit by midnight, and like to browse the Internet before
    going to sleep.

    If all those who are chewing through as much bandwidth as possible have
    already used up their daily limit by midnight, and there is a finite
    amount of bandwidth available to all Actrix customers, then there is
    more bandwidth available to those who haven't hit their limit yet,
    giving them more opportunity to do fast downloads.

    With a midnight reset, there is a sudden spike in traffic at midnight
    due to the "use as much as possible 24 hours a day" crowd, so everyone
    else sees a drop in performance just when they want to use the Internet.

    Moving the reset to 2 a.m. means that sudden spike occurs while most
    people are asleep, so the really heavy users get to do their fast
    transfers in the wee small hours, and hopefully use up their daily limit
    by the time the morning users are waking up and doing their daily surf.

    Makes sense to me. Unfortunately it won't suit everyone, but it should
    work out better for most users who work during the day and surf in the
    morning and/or evening.

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Mar 17, 2006
  14. T'was the Sat, 18 Mar 2006 01:01:25 +1300 when I remembered RJ
    <> saying something like this:

    >What is this about. Is it from going over the 350MB daily limit.
    >
    >Who cares that is a helluva lot of traffic
    >Who in their right mind uses so much traffic

    I use more traffic watching streaming webcasts and videos from
    http://technet.microsoft.com, http://hp.feedroom.com etc...

    Who are you to tell me how much traffic I should and should not be
    using?
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Mar 17, 2006
  15. ~misfit~

    Richard Guest

    RJ wrote:

    > What is this about. Is it from going over the 350MB daily limit.
    >
    > Who cares that is a helluva lot of traffic
    > Who in their right mind uses so much traffic

    Its one album download in lossless.

    Its windows updating one computer

    Its one 40odd minuite tv episode

    Its a couple of hours of streaming audio

    So yeah, its piss easy to use 350 meg and if I have browsing to do I want to get
    it done before the connection if turned off for the day.

    Richard, Mar 17, 2006
  16. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    RJ wrote:
    > In article <1142565941.983525@ftpsrv1>, says...
    >>
    >> "Richard" <> wrote in message

    >>> Because at 12am you can still get a few hours of use in before
    >>> going to bed, whereas at 2 its almost bed time for most people?

    >> Ah, that makes sense and I suppose that is the reason why they did
    >> it. However he could also get up earlier in the morning.

    > What is this about. Is it from going over the 350MB daily limit.

    Well done! You work that out by yourself?

    > Who cares that is a helluva lot of traffic

    And yet it's not at all.

    > Who in their right mind uses so much traffic

    So you're calling into question people's sanity based solely on the amount
    they download? Sad.
    --
    ~Shaun~

    ~misfit~, Mar 17, 2006
  17. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > RJ wrote:
    >
    >> What is this about. Is it from going over the 350MB daily limit.
    >>
    >> Who cares that is a helluva lot of traffic
    >> Who in their right mind uses so much traffic

    > Its one album download in lossless.
    >
    > Its windows updating one computer
    >
    > Its one 40odd minuite tv episode
    >
    > Its a couple of hours of streaming audio
    >

    > So yeah, its piss easy to use 350 meg and if I have browsing to do I
    > want to get it done before the connection if turned off for the day.

    Exactly Richard. I installed World of Warcraft on a PC at my place the other
    day, four CDs and 4GB of HDD space required and then multiple patches to
    download once it connected to the server. The patches totaled over 400MB
    (Hard to say exactly, there were so many), one alone was 354MB, another was
    35MB....

    RJ:

    350MB is nothing. What's the point in having "Broadband" to just read email
    and newsgroups RJ? If you think that you have to be insane to use 350MB a
    day then not only are you very insulting of, and intolerant towards people
    who have dissimilar needs to you but you're also probably quite happy on
    dial-up.

    To reduce the mount of insults you feel you need to throw around maybe you
    should only post in dial-up threads and ignore the whole UBS/"Braodband"
    topic?
    --
    ~Shaun~

    ~misfit~, Mar 17, 2006
  18. ~misfit~

    RJ Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > T'was the Sat, 18 Mar 2006 01:01:25 +1300 when I remembered RJ
    > <> saying something like this:
    >
    > >What is this about. Is it from going over the 350MB daily limit.
    > >
    > >Who cares that is a helluva lot of traffic
    > >Who in their right mind uses so much traffic

    > I use more traffic watching streaming webcasts and videos from
    > http://technet.microsoft.com, http://hp.feedroom.com etc...
    >
    > Who are you to tell me how much traffic I should and should not be
    > using?

    Whoa re you to come on here and whinge about ISPs putting data caps on
    plans.

    RJ, Mar 18, 2006
  19. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    David Empson wrote:
    > ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    >>
    >> See my other post in this thread where I mention that I've replied
    >> to the email asking exactly how it was tested and how it benefits
    >> those browsing later at night.

    > My interpretation is that it benefits people who AREN'T using up all
    > of their daily limit by midnight, and like to browse the Internet
    > before going to sleep.
    >
    > If all those who are chewing through as much bandwidth as possible
    > have already used up their daily limit by midnight, and there is a
    > finite amount of bandwidth available to all Actrix customers, then
    > there is more bandwidth available to those who haven't hit their
    > limit yet, giving them more opportunity to do fast downloads.
    >
    > With a midnight reset, there is a sudden spike in traffic at midnight
    > due to the "use as much as possible 24 hours a day" crowd, so everyone
    > else sees a drop in performance just when they want to use the
    > Internet.
    >
    > Moving the reset to 2 a.m. means that sudden spike occurs while most
    > people are asleep, so the really heavy users get to do their fast
    > transfers in the wee small hours, and hopefully use up their daily
    > limit by the time the morning users are waking up and doing their
    > daily surf.
    >
    > Makes sense to me. Unfortunately it won't suit everyone, but it
    > should work out better for most users who work during the day and
    > surf in the morning and/or evening.

    David, I see you're using an Actrix account. Do you work for them? If so
    it's considered polite to state that you have a vested interest.

    What you just posted was essentially word-for-word what I got as a reply to
    an email last night, except yours was a little more carefully worded.

    When I say "a little more carefully worded" I'm refering to your use of the
    term: ""use as much as possible 24 hours a day" crowd". It is slightly
    derogatory, not so much so as in the email I got last night but still....

    The whole advertising of Cyberjet pushes how mush you are allowed to
    download (at full speed, then all you can eat at 64/64 until midnight) per
    plan as a selling point, yet you (and others from Actrix) tend to treat
    people who actually do use what you advertise/promise as second-class
    citizens. This seems odd to me. I specifically made inquiries for about two
    weeks before changing to Actrix, saying I was a heavy users, and in no time
    then did they comment negatively or show (slight) disrespect. I also said
    that the midnight re-set was a big part of the reason that I was going with
    Actrix over Ihug.

    The email I got last night claimed that, during the trial period (which they
    admitted started on the 9th, yet nobody was notified) they had feedback that
    suggested people prefered a 2am re-set. This goes contrary to what at least
    two different helpdesk people told me, they said that the "techies" hadn't
    informed them of the change and the only way they knew was they got lots af
    calls from people upset at their allocation not re-setting at midnight and
    had to ask the techies what was going on. That doesn't sound like positive
    feedback to me.

    Personally I think a staggered aproach would be the way to go, maybe
    customers being put into one of four groups with different re-set times.
    Being given the choice of which group until that particular group is filled
    (if that happens, maybe an email asking them to give an order of preference
    for the four times). Re-set times of, say Midnight, 6am, Noon and 6pm. That
    would eliminate the "spike" effect and go a long way to reducing the
    bottleneck caused by Telecoms contention ratios. Because, let's face it,
    this situation arises because Actrix are unable to provide what they
    advertise, due to telecom's contention ratio.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~Shaun~

    ~misfit~, Mar 18, 2006
  20. ~misfit~

    Enkidu Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > RJ wrote:
    >
    >> What is this about. Is it from going over the 350MB daily limit.
    >>
    >> Who cares that is a helluva lot of traffic
    >> Who in their right mind uses so much traffic

    > Its one album download in lossless.
    >
    > Its windows updating one computer
    >
    > Its one 40odd minuite tv episode
    >
    > Its a couple of hours of streaming audio
    >
    > So yeah, its piss easy to use 350 meg and if I have browsing to do I
    > want to get it done before the connection if turned off for the day.

    "It's windows updating one computer"??? The biggest update to Windows
    I've ever downloaded was about 145MB. Usually, the Windows updates are
    around 20 - 30 MB or less.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Mar 18, 2006