    any word on when it will be supported in 64 bit?

    --
    Hugh

    Kue2, Sep 2, 2005

  2. This one is in the hands of the industry, a lot of companies and content
    based technologies such as Flash Player are not yet supported, not until
    these technologies are developed and deployed on IE 64-Bit will you see
    64-Bit ActiveX Controls start being developed for that particular version of
    the browser. Just my opinion.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa, Sep 2, 2005

  3. Kue2

    John Barnes Guest

    Another place where Microsoft has let 64-bitters down. They write their own
    ActiveX for a number of processes. At least according to the properties
    dialog.

    John Barnes, Sep 2, 2005
  4. Hello John,
    I fail to see what point you are trying to make here.
    64-bit Active-X controls work in the 64-bit browser.
    32-bit Active-X controls work in the 32-bit browser.
    Since most existing Active-X controls today are 32-bit, the default browser
    is 32-bit, however links exist to the 64-bit broswer.
    This gives users the best experience today while 64-bit Active-X controls
    are being generated.
    How is this letting 64-bit users down?
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "John Barnes" <>
    <Subject: Re: activex in 64 bit
    <Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 08:09:17 -0700
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <Another place where Microsoft has let 64-bitters down. They write their
    own
    <ActiveX for a number of processes. At least according to the properties
    <dialog.
    <
    <
    <"Andre Da Costa" <> wrote in message
    <> This one is in the hands of the industry, a lot of companies and content
    <> based technologies such as Flash Player are not yet supported, not until
    <> these technologies are developed and deployed on IE 64-Bit will you see
    <> 64-Bit ActiveX Controls start being developed for that particular
    version
    <> of the browser. Just my opinion.
    <> --
    <> Andre
    <> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    <> Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
    <> http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
    <> FAQ for MS AntiSpy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
    <> "Kue2" <> wrote in message
    <> news:uq$...
    <>> any word on when it will be supported in 64 bit?
    <>>
    <>> --
    <>> Hugh
    <>>
    <>
    <
    <
    <

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Sep 2, 2005
  5. Kue2

    Colin Nowell Guest

    Well, I'd say that the fact that the "Microsoft Genuine Advantage Programme"
    doesn't work (and I have an open ticket with MS Support about it) and is
    "broke" when running x64 Windows ("Operating System not supported") is a
    pretty darn good reason....

    Colin

    Colin Nowell, Sep 2, 2005
  6. Hello Colin,
    Are you using the 32-bit or the 64-bit browser or both?
    Do you have the case number?
    That may not be an ActiveX issue, that may be an IE issue with the page or
    with the versions supplied to the page.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Colin Nowell" <>
    <Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 22:07:37 +0100
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
[...]
    <> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
    rights
    <> --------------------
    <> <From: "John Barnes" <>
    <> <Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 08:09:17 -0700
    <> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <> <
    <> <Another place where Microsoft has let 64-bitters down. They write their
    <> own
    <> <ActiveX for a number of processes. At least according to the properties
    <> <dialog.
    <> <
    <> <
    <> <"Andre Da Costa" <> wrote in message
    <> <news:...
    <> <> This one is in the hands of the industry, a lot of companies and
    <> content
    <> <> based technologies such as Flash Player are not yet supported, not
    <> until
    <> <> these technologies are developed and deployed on IE 64-Bit will you
    see
    <> <> 64-Bit ActiveX Controls start being developed for that particular
    <> version
    <> <> of the browser. Just my opinion.
    <> <> --
    <> <> Andre
    <> <> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    <> <> Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
    <> <> http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
    <> <> FAQ for MS AntiSpy
    <> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
    <> <> "Kue2" <> wrote in message
    <> <> news:uq$...
    <> <>> any word on when it will be supported in 64 bit?
    <> <>>
    <> <>> --
    <> <>> Hugh
    <> <>>
    <> <>
    <> <
    <> <
    <> <
    <>
    <
    <
    <

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Sep 2, 2005
  7. I am not having any issues here with it, I would expect the issue you are
    encountering is probably associated with IE 64-Bit most likely.

    You'll find you need the 32-bit IE, I'm afraid, until such time as web sites
    are updated to properly support 64-bit IE. Right now, you'd have problems
    with just the 64-bit.

    Active X Controls

    When on-line, I get prompted to install Active X several times (depending on
    the site). I click and select install now and 1 of 2 things happens. It
    either asks for the run now or save, or it does nothing.

    Again, the problem is most folks haven't yet re-written their activex
    controls for 64-bit. That's why the default is to use the 32-bit version of
    IE, which doesn't have a problem.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Sep 3, 2005
  8. Kue2

    Colin Nowell Guest

    This was with the 32bit browser since that is the default (and since the
    64bit version only comes up when clicking a link inside a 64bit application
    such as OE or when specifically using the 64bit IE shortcut).

    The case number is 1-729994477

    Here are some extracts from my reply to them...

    -------------------------->8--------------------------------------------------------
    Hi Dan,

    Thanks (at last) for the reply.

    First of all, this problem seems to be specific ONLY to the Windows Genuine
    Advantage Site since I have already managed to go through the verification
    process (using the 32-bit version of IE) on the WindowsUpdate and the
    MicrosoftUpdate versions of each site and my OS and machine were accepted
    perfectly and both passed the verification in the normal way on these sites.
    (I prefer to use the MS one as this updates my Office 2003 suite aswell, all
    in one foul swoop!) One thing I notice from this though, is that NEITHER
    required the ActiveX control to be installed in my browser because I was
    taken through the checking process using an alternative method; the detail
    of which I can't remember to be honest. Bottom line is that the Active X is
    NOT installed in my browser in the way that it is on my other desktop XP (32
    bit) machines (I just re-checked).

    When I try going on to the Windows Genuine Advantage Site, It lets me go
    through fine to the list of offers (but I note that it NEVER remembers my
    country!) but as soon as I click on anything to try and download (say the
    Antispyware product), this is the frame I get back..

    (haven't pasted the whole web page but it starts with this...)
    Validation Not Completed: Unsupported OS
    [0x80080200]

    ..every time.

    Funnily enough, one time it did let me download the MS AntiSpyware product
    because I have it running on this very x64 machine now but again, I can't
    remember how it happened and worked. What I do remember was then trying to
    go to this link straight after I completed that download..

    <link>Get Microsoft® Office Outlook® Live for 28% off!<link>

    ..and the result was the screen you see above.

    Now it seems to lock me out whatever I do and doesn't even try and
    re-validate my installation. It's most annoying!!! I have NEVER used
    non-genuine MS software!!
    ------------------------------------------------>8--------------------------------------

    Colin Nowell, Sep 3, 2005
  9. Kue2

    John Barnes Guest

    Colin,
    I had no problem with the download or confirmation of my x64 system. Do you
    have the Genuine Advantage in your WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files
    I had problems with the AntiSpyware program and had to uninstall it. Maybe
    it is interfering with your access. Also possible you have another program
    such as a firewall or anti-virus that is the problem.

    John Barnes, Sep 3, 2005
  10. Kue2

    Colin Nowell Guest

    Please re-read my post John and also note that I didn't "download my x64
    system", it's an OEM bought boxed version.

    I had no problems at all in:
    a) authenticating my system after first install
    b) activating and registering
    c) authenticating and enabling both the windowsupdate and subsequently
    microsoftupdate sites

    This is a problem exclusive to the "Special Offers" on the "Microsoft
    Genuine Advantage" site.

    Incidentally, the validator dll does NOT sit in the WINDOWS\Downloaded
    Program Files folder anymore. It actually sits in the C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64
    and is called LegitCheckControl.DLL and in my case, it is there.

    Also, if you select (in IE 32bit) Tools and then "Manage Add-ons" and then
    select "Add-ons that have been used by Internet Explorer", it is shown quite
    clearly as an enabled activeX control and as "Windows Genuine Advantage
    Validation Tool".

    The problem seems to be that it doesn't "trigger" correctly when required
    (as it should be on the MSGA site)

    Colin

    Colin Nowell, Sep 4, 2005
  11. Kue2

    Colin Nowell Guest

    Also, I have just noticed something else on the page here....

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/uk/windows/default.mspx

    It says....

    "If you are running Windows XP SP1/SP2 or Windows Server 2003, the Windows
    Validation Assistant can scan your product key to help you determine whether
    your computer's operating system is genuine."

    You will note that it does NOT mention Windows XP Pro x64 Edition....

    Try hitting the "Validate Now" button and see what happens to you?

    Oh, and by the way, I turned off the MS AntiSpyware, Anti-virus real time
    protection and finally the Windows Firewall.... Security is set to allow
    signed/unsigned activeX controls. Still doesn't work... The bar at the top
    of the IE window never appears... (to ask permission to install and in any
    case, I have it in the "Trusted Sites" zone aswell just for belt and
    braces...)

    Just pops up a dialogue which says "The Windows Validation Assistant failed
    to run properly. Please verify that you are running a supported operating
    system, and your Internet Explorer security settings allow signed ActiveX
    controls to run."

    Colin

    Colin Nowell, Sep 4, 2005
  12. Kue2

    Colin Nowell Guest

    An addendum to my last post:

    I now find out (with the help of 32bit Explorer) that actually, all the
    needed files ARE in the C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files folder it's just
    that you can't see anything in there that is not 64bit when you are using
    the default (64bit) Explorer!

    (ActiveX files are "Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool" &
    "ProductIDGatherer.WindowsGatherer" and they are both installed and
    active.... at least in the 32bit part of my OS it seems...)

    I guess this proves that the system definition for this folder in relation
    to 32bit stuff is not correctly setup in the Wow6432Node in the registry!

    This whole thing is screwed up in relation to Windows Genuine Advantage
    program for x64 windows and actually is probably why the guy from MS said on
    the phone "I'll need to pass this case to technical support as we had been
    told that this issue was fixed but it obviously isn't yet." That also proves
    to me that it hasn't worked at some point and that MS knows about it...

    The reason this is winding me up so much is that I resent the implication
    that I am not using legitimate software!!

    Colin

    Colin Nowell, Sep 4, 2005
  13. "When on-line, I get prompted to install Active X several times I click and
    select install now and 1 of 2 things happens. It
    either asks for the run now or save, or it does nothing."

    That's the Same problem as I have. I use the default 32 Bit IE 6

    Mr. Imhotep Djoser, Sep 6, 2005
  14. Kue2

    igor1960 Guest

    Darrell,
    As you are MSFT guy here I want to ask you a question:
    Did anybody at MSFT ever considered possibility of running 32bit ActiveX(s)
    inside 64bit IE? Don't tell me it's impossible, as if you do that: I'll be
    ready to sell you technology to do that...

    igor1960, Sep 6, 2005
  15. Hello Igor,
    Yes it was considered.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "igor1960" <>
    <Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 14:26:22 -0700
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
[...]
    <> <From: "Colin Nowell" <>
    <> <Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 22:07:37 +0100
    <> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <> <
[...]
    <> <> --------------------
    <> <> <From: "John Barnes" <>
    <> <> <References: <uq$>
    <> <> <>
    <> <> <Subject: Re: activex in 64 bit
    <> <> <Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 08:09:17 -0700
    <> <> <Lines: 28
    <> <> <X-Priority: 3
    <> <> <X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
    <> <> <X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2670
    <> <> <X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2670
    <> <> <X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
    <> <> <Message-ID: <#>
    <> <> <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <> <> <NNTP-Posting-Host: 0-1pool150-228.nas8.spokane1.wa.us.da.qwest.net
    <> <> 67.0.150.228
    <> <> <Path: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl
    <> <> <Xref: TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl
    <> microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general:16505
    <> <> <X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <> <> <
[...]
    <> <> <> --
    <> <> <> Andre
    <> <> <> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    <> <> <> Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
    <> <> <> http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
    <> <> <> FAQ for MS AntiSpy
    <> <> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
    <> <> <> "Kue2" <> wrote in message
    <> <> <> news:uq$...
    <> <> <>> any word on when it will be supported in 64 bit?
    <> <> <>>
    <> <> <>> --
    <> <> <>> Hugh
    <> <> <>>
    <> <> <>
    <> <> <
    <> <> <
    <> <> <
    <> <>
    <> <
    <> <
    <> <
    <>
    <
    <
    <

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Sep 7, 2005
  16. Kue2

    Colin Nowell Guest

    Hi Igor,

    Just wanted to point out that the problems I have outlined in my last 3
    posts are directly to do with running the 32bit ActiveX controls for
    "Windows Genuine Advantage" inside a 32bit browser running on an x64 system.

    I make that point because it may be more due to incompatibilities with MS's
    site and XP x64 Edition rather than just a 32bit activeX issue on its own...

    Colin

    Colin Nowell, Sep 7, 2005
  17. Kue2

    John Barnes Guest

    In July, when I ran Microsoft Update, Windows Genuine Advantage was
    mandatory. I agreed, downloaded the ActiveX file, which went in the usual
    Windows\Downloaded Program Files. Came back okay and proceeded with the
    update. When I wrote the response to you, I had checked the file and it was
    there. Unfortunately, I didn't look at the properties.
    Microsoft has since dropped that as a requirement from the Microsoft update.
    I followed your link and it downloaded and installed a new file. This one
    works as you described. I also tried it from the US Genuine Advantage site
    with the same results. The inf file that is part of the download puts both
    files GWFSPidGen.DLL and LegitCheckControl.DLL in Syswow64
    Since the dependencies of the ocx are System32 and a 32bit dll won't run
    there it doesn't work.
    So as of now, the scenario you describe is accurate.
    If I can find a recent backup I will try to extract the previous Genuine
    Advantage file and see what it's dependencies. One thing is for sure, it
    was there and the other two files WERE NOT there as a result of the original
    download.

    John Barnes, Sep 8, 2005
  18. Kue2

    Colin Nowell Guest

    Thanks for taking the time to confirm that John. I think it's safe to say
    that we now know what we are dealing with.

    Colin Nowell, Sep 8, 2005