ActiveX component can't create object

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Abe Simpson, Mar 22, 2006.

  1. Abe Simpson

    Abe Simpson Guest

    Hello,

    I have asked that question recently but received no helpful replies, so I
    thought I'd try again:

    The COM objects my company sells are written in C++/ATL. When installed on
    Windows 2003 64-bit and used in the ASP environment, the following error is
    generated by a Server.CreateObject statement:

    Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a01ad'
    ActiveX component can't create object

    Now, this error is pretty common in 32-bit Windows, and is easily fixed by
    adjusting permissions on the COM object's DLL. But in 64-bit Windows this
    trick does not work anymore. Something else obviously needs to be done. But
    what???

    Any help will be greatly appreciacted.

    -- Abe

    Abe Simpson, Mar 22, 2006

  2. Abe Simpson

    Rick Guest

    The lack of useful replies may be due to the fact that this is not a
    programmer's newsgroup. There are a few that reply to programming
    questions, but the focus of the is group is not programming.

    Rick, Mar 22, 2006

  3. microsoft.public.vc.atl
    microsoft.public.vc.language

    Post the question there and you might get some help.
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Mar 22, 2006
  4. > The COM objects my company sells are written in C++/ATL. When installed on
    > Windows 2003 64-bit and used in the ASP environment, the following error
    > is generated by a Server.CreateObject statement:

    Pure speculation on my part (and someone might tell me this is irrelevant),
    but can 64-bit IIS instantiate a 32-bit COM object?

    Homer J. Simpson, Mar 24, 2006