ActiveX component can't create object error

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Abe Simpson, Mar 6, 2006.

  1. Abe Simpson

    Abe Simpson Guest

    Hi all,

    Some of my clients are reporting this error on a 64-bit Windows when running
    my COM objects under ASP:

    -----
    Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a01ad'
    ActiveX component can't create object
    -----

    This error is very common on 32-bit Windows and can be easily fixed by
    adjusting permissions on the COM DLL. However, it seems that this trick no
    longer works on 64-bit Windows.

    Can someone shed some light?

    Thanks.

    -- Abe

    Abe Simpson, Mar 6, 2006

  2. Tell those clients to not run the COM objects under IE 64-Bit.
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Mar 6, 2006

  3. There are many reasons why an object cannot be created. Permissions is only
    one of many reasons. File not found is another reason.

    All else being equal between your 32bit machine and 64bit machine, process
    "bitness" issues are the most likely culprit. Maybe:
    1. Your 32bit code is trying to write something (or reset ACLs) and getting
    it FileSystemRedirected or RegistryRedirected on 64bit machines
    2. Your 32bit code insists on loading "in-process" but the process is 64bit.
    That fails because process only allows the same bitness.

    --
    //David
    IIS

    David Wang [Msft], Mar 7, 2006
  4. Abe Simpson

    paespi Guest

    Abe,

    I had the same issue and solved it by going to the Application Pool
    tied to the web application, Advanced Properties... and setting "Enable
    32-bit Applications" to True
    I spent hours with this pain and finally had some relief.

    Let me know if this worked for you!

    --
    paespi
    paespi's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/110917.htm