    I have tried IE8/9 Firefox, Google Chrome.

    Any suggestions welcome.

    Regards, Kate
    Kate, Jan 10, 2013

  2. Kate

    VanguardLH Guest

    "Kate" wrote:

    > For four weeks (day and night) I have tried "everything" suggested on
    > Google, Microsoft to overcome this problem, to no avail.

    "This problem". How about telling *us* what is the problem. So far,
    you made some guess but told no one what actually happens.

    > I had not used the site for a year but had previously used it for years
    > without any problem.

    Oh, "the site". Yep, there's only one of those and it only has one
    page.

    > A few weeks ago when I was researching something in family history, the page
    > opened completely grey instead of the printed word.

    Well, a iota of more info. The site has something to do with lineolgoy.

    > Mostly it is an activeX, sometimes an add-on, depending, I suppose, on what
    > I might have altered.

    And what error or behavior you are experiencing somewhere but described
    neither.

    > I have tried IE8/9 Firefox, Google Chrome.
    >
    > Any suggestions welcome.

    URL to site or page (or to the site and how to navigate to the page).

    What YOU experience when you get there.

    --- Posting Hints ---

    ALWAYS REVIEW your message before submitting it. You want someone OTHER
    than yourself to understand your post. Also remember that no one here
    is looking over your shoulder to see at what you are pointing. If you
    don't well explain your situation by providing the DETAILS that you
    already know, don't expect others to know what is your situation.
    Explain YOUR computing environment and just what actions you take to
    reproduce the problem - and describe the problem so OTHERS know of what
    you are asking for help.

    Often you get just one chance per potential respondent to elicit a reply
    from them. If they skip your post because you gave them nothing to go
    on (no details, no versions, no OS, no context) then they will usually
    move on to the next post and never return to yours.

    What is Usenet:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsgroups
    http://www.masonicinfo.com/newsgroups.htm
    http://www.mcfedries.com/Ramblings/usenet-primer.asp

    How to post to newsgroups:
    http://members.shaw.ca/dts-l/goodpost.htm
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
    http://www.mugsy.org/asa_faq/getting_along/usenet.shtml

    Regarding error or status messages:
    - Do NOT omit the message.
    - Do NOT describe the message.
    - Do NOT summarize the message.
    - Do NOT paraphrase the message.
    - Do NOT truncate the message.
    - Do show the ENTIRE message (but munge or star out personal info,
    like your username in an e-mail address but not the domain).
    And DETAIL the steps to reproduce the error or problem.
    VanguardLH, Jan 10, 2013

  3. Kate

    Kate Guest

    Thank you for responding, sorry my post was so inept. I don't know if you
    are in Oz or the US.

    If in Oz, it is the "Old British Newspapers" from 17th century onwards which
    are accessed through the State Library NSW or National Library Australia
    with one's library number/password, without which you can get no further
    than
    http://www2.sl.nsw.gov.au/eresources/

    Having chosen Newspapers and logged in, a name/event is put into Search and
    the appropriate article appears outlined in colour. Clicking on Article
    should bring forth the printed section and if you are in luck you have your
    4xgr grandfather's death notice.
    That's how it should work but but the problem is, item is not outlined in
    colour (so you're in trouble already) but pressing on and downloading the
    article it is completely grey, blotting out the print.
    Messages read, IE blocked an activeX control so this page may not display
    correctly.
    Firefox/Google Chrome say virtually the same.
    or, An add-on for this website failed to run.
    an activeX control on this page might be unsafe to interact with other parts
    of the page, "allow" yes/no, tried both.

    I am using Win7 Home Premium and Office Home and Business 2012.

    I have enabled/disabled/re-enabled in turn, all, some, nil ActiveX's
    Enabled/disabled all add-ons including Java, if that is anything to the
    point.
    put URL's into trusted sites and set security on low.
    Set Internet on Medium
    I have done an IE Optimization (under guidance from Google)

    Hope this makes the problem clearer.

    Regards Kate
    (Sydney, Australia)

    Kate, Jan 10, 2013
  4. Kate

    VanguardLH Guest

    "Kate" wrote:

> [...]

    > move on to the next post and never return to yours.
    >
    > What is Usenet:
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsgroups
    > http://www.masonicinfo.com/newsgroups.htm
    > http://www.mcfedries.com/Ramblings/usenet-primer.asp
    >
    > How to post to newsgroups:
    > http://members.shaw.ca/dts-l/goodpost.htm
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
    > http://users.tpg.com.au/bzyhjr/liszt.html
    > http://www.mugsy.org/asa_faq/getting_along/usenet.shtml
    >
    > Regarding error or status messages:
    > - Do NOT omit the message.
    > - Do NOT describe the message.
    > - Do NOT summarize the message.
    > - Do NOT paraphrase the message.
    > - Do NOT truncate the message.
    > - Do show the ENTIRE message (but munge or star out personal info,
    > like your username in an e-mail address but not the domain).
    > And DETAIL the steps to reproduce the error or problem.

    A couple of possibilities: you inserted an entry in the registry to
    disable a class ID for an AX control or some software you load is
    interferring with rendering the page.

    Try loading the web browser in its safe mode. That means no add-ons
    that are installed for the web browser are active.

    Reboot into Windows safe mode. That eliminates a lot of startup
    programs you installed. Could be some security software is blocking the
    element in the web page.

    If you load entries in the registry to block use of some AX control then
    you cannot use them. For example, SpywareBlaster loads these registry
    entries to kill known bad AX controls. This scenario has the user
    entering the kill bits into the registry for their own local login. If
    you are logging into a corporate network (i.e., domain), policies can be
    used to push these kill bits to make sure the employees cannot use them.
    See:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/240797

    SpywareBlaster will add many hundreds of entries under that registry key
    for what they deem are bad AX controls. Microsoft also puts some there
    typically as part of the Windows Update process. If you're using
    SpywareBlaster, or any security-related product that adds AX killbits
    into the registry, you could go into that program to disable or remove
    that protection to delete all those AX killbits in the registry. Then
    retest the web page (after you've flushed the web browser's local
    temporary file cache). You cannot just export the parent registry key
    (ActiveX Compatibility) to a .reg file and delete that parent registry
    because it is NOT just to hold killbits. Only those entries that have a
    data item named Compatibility Flags and with the value of 400 are AX
    killbits. The rest have to be there (and don't have the Compatibility
    Flags data item or it is set to a value other than 400).

    Personally I would leave the AX killbits in the registry so known bad AX
    controls cannot be run and inform the web site they are using one that
    they shouldn't. It might be possible to look at the web page code to
    figure out which AX control is being called. If you're in a domain then
    ask its admin if they are pushing policies that add AX killbits to your
    registry to prevent you from using that AX control.

    It's possible the registry definition of multiple inter-related keys is
    screwed up but trying to fix it could be difficult. Read:

    http://www.ehow.com/how_7380854_guid-activex.html

    The trick is getting the CLSID (class ID) for the AX control so you can
    find out how it's defined in the registry. If you can find out, like
    from the web page code, what AX control is being using, then something
    like Nirsoft's AX Helper (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/axhelper.html)
    can let you look at the registry entries without having to bounce around
    in the regedit. You can also search there on some possible strings in
    the name or author of the AX control.

    It is extremely rare that the install of an AX install adds an entry
    under Add/Remove Programs so you can uninstall it later. AX installs
    are sloppy in that they provide no means for easy or automatic
    uninstall. You can't normally uninstall and then reinstall. The best
    you can do for a corrupted definition in the registry is to reinstall
    and hope the install steps on all the registry entries to get them
    right. However, the install is highly unlikely to be clearing out a
    killbit entry from the registry. The install's purpose is to install,
    not to install and then kill that install. So check if you have
    security software that is adding AX killbits into the registry.
    VanguardLH, Jan 10, 2013
  5. Kate

    Kate Guest

    "VanguardLH" wrote in message news:kcm2sn$die$...

    "Kate" wrote:

> [...]

    can let you look at the registry entries without having to bounce around
    in the regedit. You can also search there on some possible strings in
    the name or author of the AX control.

    It is extremely rare that the install of an AX install adds an entry
    under Add/Remove Programs so you can uninstall it later. AX installs
    are sloppy in that they provide no means for easy or automatic
    uninstall. You can't normally uninstall and then reinstall. The best
    you can do for a corrupted definition in the registry is to reinstall
    and hope the install steps on all the registry entries to get them
    right. However, the install is highly unlikely to be clearing out a
    killbit entry from the registry. The install's purpose is to install,
    not to install and then kill that install. So check if you have
    security software that is adding AX killbits into the registry.

    Thank you for your comprehensive reply.
    Tried Safe Mode first but it cut my internet connection so moving on to
    other suggestions and hope to sort the problem.

    Very much appreciate your response which gives me areas to explore.

    Many thanks.

    Kate
    Kate, Jan 11, 2013
  6. Kate

    VanguardLH Guest

    "Kate" wrote:

    > Tried Safe Mode first but it cut my internet connection so moving on to
    > other suggestions and hope to sort the problem.

    The F8 menu shows you "safe mode" and "safe mode with networking".
    Since you need to test networking with the web browsers while in safe
    mode then the 2nd choice is what you should select.
    VanguardLH, Jan 11, 2013
  7. Kate

    Kate Guest

    Brilliant, absolutely brilliant!

    When I first went into Safe Mode, it had Network under the other option once
    opened but nothing happened when I tried it.
    I just went back to the very beginning and and chose it to open with as you
    suggested.

    Newsprint left right and centre. All those weeks of stress, now I can relax.

    Wonderful, thank you so much.

    Regards Kate

    Kate, Jan 11, 2013
  8. Kate

    VanguardLH Guest

    "Kate" wrote:

    > "VanguardLH" wrote ...
    >
    >> "Kate" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Tried Safe Mode first but it cut my internet connection so moving on to
    >>> other suggestions and hope to sort the problem.

    >> The F8 menu shows you "safe mode" and "safe mode with networking".
    >> Since you need to test networking with the web browsers while in safe
    >> mode then the 2nd choice is what you should select.
    >>
    >> Brilliant, absolutely brilliant!
    >>
    >> When I first went into Safe Mode, it had Network under the other option once
    >> opened but nothing happened when I tried it.
    >> I just went back to the very beginning and and chose it to open with as you
    >> suggested.
    >>
    >> Newsprint left right and centre. All those weeks of stress, now I can relax.
    >>
    >> Wonderful, thank you so much.

    So something you are loading at Windows startup or upon login is
    interferring with use of your web browsers. Time to start listing your
    startup items.

    While you can use msconfig.exe to list some startup items, SysInternals'
    AutoRun will list them all. Some startup locations are rather obtuse to
    the average user, like Winlogon events.

    Starting in safe mode (with networking) just got rid of whatever was
    causing the problem. It doesn't fix the problem unless you're willing
    to always reboot into safe mode to eliminate the problem. The problem
    is still there when you boot into normal mode for Windows.

    Besides the suggestion of disabling all your security software (e.g.,
    anti-virus), first I'd try loading the web browsers in their safe mode.
    It could be a common add-on or plug-in that is causing the problem. For
    example, anti-virus programs may insert an add-on in several web
    browsers and if it is interferring with the AX control in one web
    browser then it'll probably do the same in the others.
    VanguardLH, Jan 11, 2013
  9. Kate

    Kate Guest

    "VanguardLH" wrote in message news:kcp184$fds$...

    "Kate" wrote:

    > "VanguardLH" wrote ...
    >
    >> "Kate" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Tried Safe Mode first but it cut my internet connection so moving on to
    >>> other suggestions and hope to sort the problem.

    >> The F8 menu shows you "safe mode" and "safe mode with networking".
    >> Since you need to test networking with the web browsers while in safe
    >> mode then the 2nd choice is what you should select.
    >>
    >> Brilliant, absolutely brilliant!
    >>
    >> When I first went into Safe Mode, it had Network under the other option
    >> once
    >> opened but nothing happened when I tried it.
    >> I just went back to the very beginning and and chose it to open with as
    >> you
    >> suggested.
    >>
    >> Newsprint left right and centre. All those weeks of stress, now I can
    >> relax.
    >>
    >> Wonderful, thank you so much.

    So something you are loading at Windows startup or upon login is
    interferring with use of your web browsers. Time to start listing your
    startup items.

    While you can use msconfig.exe to list some startup items, SysInternals'
    AutoRun will list them all. Some startup locations are rather obtuse to
    the average user, like Winlogon events.

    Starting in safe mode (with networking) just got rid of whatever was
    causing the problem. It doesn't fix the problem unless you're willing
    to always reboot into safe mode to eliminate the problem. The problem
    is still there when you boot into normal mode for Windows.

    Besides the suggestion of disabling all your security software (e.g.,
    anti-virus), first I'd try loading the web browsers in their safe mode.
    It could be a common add-on or plug-in that is causing the problem. For
    example, anti-virus programs may insert an add-on in several web
    browsers and if it is interferring with the AX control in one web
    browser then it'll probably do the same in the others.

    I'll keep working on it, I have noticed my anti-virus program has added a
    few things not previously included, will investigate that area for starters.
    Kate, Jan 12, 2013
  10. Right.

    It the computer is made by Dell or HP then just
    smashit up with a large hammer! IF its made by
    some one else or you are really desperate read on

    Even though the information you gave was far from
    complete i am GUESSing that you are connected to
    the internet with some kind of wireless connection
    either wifi or one of those mobile network dongle
    things seeing as you said you had trouble with
    your network when you rebooted this is quite
    simply because wireless stuff is often unreliable
    and doesnt work as soon as you load up and
    probably a laptop/tablet as well (people who use
    proper computers tend to use proper conections as
    well with wires)??

    I am GUESSINGing that YOU are seeing a yellow bar
    on top of the screen saying rattling on about
    activex controls are needed to run etc If this the
    case you must be using internet explorer 8 or 9 as
    you stated you are using win7 . Activex contols
    are very rarely NEEDED of a site unleess you are
    using something that uses trashplayer
    (flashplayer) Did the site previously have lots of
    moving adverts OR videos of any description before
    you lost the connection ??

    As you are obviously not a n expert with computers
    and it complex instruction may cause further
    problems First of all

    Check first that the site is not broken either by
    trying to get on it from another computer and that
    you are actually getting some other sites on the
    internet from your own computer (in other words
    make sure it really is your computer thats the
    problem and its NOT the site or internet
    connection thats the problem)

    Now IF all my other ASSUMPTIONS are correct
    Proceed And click on the "start" button and look
    for the "command prompt" (you may find it in
    another menu called accessories and possibly
    something like "system tools" or similar title.
    When you open the command prompt you should see
    Just a black rectangle WIth something SIMILAR to
    C:\windows\blahblahblah\ with a flashing line
    after it.
    Then type "ping <fullexactnameofsite>" For
    example "ping www.google.com" or "ping
    www.facebook.com" or ping "www.stormfront.org"
    and press "return" and sit back and observe: and
    IF the site is there (not always foolproof) and
    you have typed it all correctly there should be a
    short delay delay and it will tell you if your
    comuter is actually finding the site or not.
    IF all goes well you will see several messages
    saying firstone saying something like "looking up
    <whateversite> at <someIPnumber>
    and then you will see four other lines EACH line
    saying "pinging <someIPnumber>" and then how long
    it takes for the other computer to reply.
    knightinrustyarmour, Jan 12, 2013
  11. Kate

    "Kate" wrote:

    > "VanguardLH" wrote ...
    >
    >> "Kate" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Tried Safe Mode first but it cut my internet connection so moving on to
    >>> other suggestions and hope to sort the problem.

    >> The F8 menu shows you "safe mode" and "safe mode with networking".
    >> Since you need to test networking with the web browsers while in safe
    >> mode then the 2nd choice is what you should select.
    >>
    >> Brilliant, absolutely brilliant!
    >>
    >> When I first went into Safe Mode, it had Network under the other option
    >> once
    >> opened but nothing happened when I tried it.
    >> I just went back to the very beginning and and chose it to open with as
    >> you
    >> suggested.
    >>
    >> Newsprint left right and centre. All those weeks of stress, now I can
    >> relax.
    >>
    >> Wonderful, thank you so much.

    So something you are loading at Windows startup or upon login is
    interferring with use of your web browsers. Time to start listing your
    startup items.

    While you can use msconfig.exe to list some startup items, SysInternals'
    AutoRun will list them all. Some startup locations are rather obtuse to
    the average user, like Winlogon events.

    Starting in safe mode (with networking) just got rid of whatever was
    causing the problem. It doesn't fix the problem unless you're willing
    to always reboot into safe mode to eliminate the problem. The problem
    is still there when you boot into normal mode for Windows.

    Besides the suggestion of disabling all your security software (e.g.,
    anti-virus), first I'd try loading the web browsers in their safe mode.
    It could be a common add-on or plug-in that is causing the problem. For
    example, anti-virus programs may insert an add-on in several web
    browsers and if it is interferring with the AX control in one web
    browser then it'll probably do the same in the others.

    Went to msconfig.exe there are 10 items listed in Start up, three of which
    are "Intel(R) Co
    In General Tab, clicked Diagnostic start-up, it went directly to Selective
    start up.
    Chose one item at a time rebooting after each selection. At no time was I
    being connected to the Internet until all were ticked and rebooted again.
    I know it is difficult to instruct someone by email, especially with my
    limited knowledge, and as the actual opening of the script in the Newspaper
    on the relevant site is the only problem I have, I think I will have to give
    in and just access that in the Safe Networking Mode.

    I'm very appreciative of your assistance, thank you again.

    Kate
    Kate, Jan 14, 2013
  12. Kate

    Kate Guest

    "knightinrustyarmour" wrote in message news:kcqi2e$1k1$...

[...]

    I am using a Compaq Laptop with ADSL internet connection
    No yellow bar ever at top of screen (saw reference to that on Google and
    looked in vain)
    I never lost the connection, I was just unable to open the script in the
    Newspaper article, (which was the whole purpose of the exercise) everything
    else was fine.
    You got it, I am far from being an expert.
    According to the Library and other family history researches to whom I have
    presented the problem, I am the only one have any difficulty.
    Tried the Pinging thing on many web pages I use and could not be connected
    to any that were prefaced with http:// in fact the only ones that got a
    result were the ones you supplied as test pieces.

    Very good of you to try to assist, thank you for your responding.

    Kate
    Kate, Jan 14, 2013