"Activepak" - Any good?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Debra Scott, Nov 17, 2004.

  1. Debra Scott

    Debra Scott Guest

    I saw a new computer protection product advertised on the telly
    recently called Activepak. It's supposed to protect computers from
    hackers, intruders and dangerous programs (do they mean viruses?) and
    ensures my "security and privacy." It also claims to speed up my
    internet connections, and computer. It also comes with another program
    that protects kids online and allows parents to monitor their activity
    online.

    I'm curious because on the telly ad they claim it's free, (just pay
    shipping) but on their webpage www.activepak.com they imply its a
    free "TRIAL" for a subsription service. That doesn't quite make sense
    to me. The tone of the webpage is sort of like some of the spam I get
    in email with all sorts of "testimonials," which may or may not be for
    real.

    Unlike the anonymous spammers, the webpage gives a parent company with
    a real address and also the fact that they advertise on TV proves they
    are for real and not just fly-by-night scammers.

    Even so, my thought is that they are claiming just a bit too much.
    What I'd like to know is if anybody had any actual experience with
    this software, or with the company that sells it? Does the software
    work as advertised?

    Thanks for your opinions.

    Deb

    P.s. The parent company is https://www.ascentive.com/ and they seem
    to sell a lot of programs. Any good? TIA!
    Debra Scott, Nov 17, 2004

  2. Debra Scott

    Martin Guest

    Martin, Nov 17, 2004

  3. Debra Scott

    KG6VQE Guest

    As an active, IT professional, I am sure that this product, if it did all
    it says it does, would be advertised to the hilt in Professional IT Trade
    magazines. I subscribe/receive over a dozen of the industry trade rags, and
    no one ever said anything about a miracle product such as these.
    While they may have lofty goals, it is almost too good to by true.
    My experience tells me that if it too good to be true, it probably is. If
    it is free, you could try it, but I would A) Backup my system (Use XP's
    recovery service) B) Not put in a credit card, as some trials do (Free for
    10 days, unless you cancel, and then it is $24.95/month). C) look for other
    "INDEPENDENT" reviews. The magazine sites - PCWORLD.COM, PCMAGAZINE, ZDNET,
    etc. should have a review if the product is worthy.

    I disagree with one thing though....just because a company sells on TV
    Infomercials, doesn't make it legitimate or good. Years ago, I bought the
    Magic Television Antenna. This device plugs into your House Wiring
    (110volts), and then into your Antenna connection of your TV. They sold
    thousands on TV. We happened to live in a No Signal Area (Serviced by Cable
    and Sattelite TV only) due to hills blocking the signal. We wanted to watch
    the Olympics one year....bought one of the Magic devices, and the signal was
    no better than a pair of rabbit ears.
    KG6VQE, Nov 18, 2004
  4. Debra Scott

    UNWS

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    its a trick

    if you want to make sure then go through so as to get the trial but just before the part where you enter the credit card press back so you can return to the homepage where you will find a surprize in the internet meter. (i only made an account just to warn you so i will not be back to see the response i am just telling you what i know and believe because it is theoretically impossible or you would have seen it every where
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
    UNWS, Oct 3, 2008