    are they from a supposedly 'safe' site??
    Regards
    Debbie

    Ladydeb, Jan 22, 2005

  2. Ladydeb

    WormWood Guest

    "Ladydeb" <> wrote in message
    news:3rpId.191642$...
    > Hi there
    > How safe is it to download active x controls from sites such as Trend
    > Micro? To use their on-line virus scanner you have to do the active x
    > thing first. I already know you shouldn't do this with a non-trusted
    > site, but how safe are they from a supposedly 'safe' site??
    > Regards
    > Debbie

    You shouldn't have to ask.

    WormWood, Jan 22, 2005

  3. Ladydeb

    Conor Guest

    In article <3rpId.191642$>, Ladydeb
    says...
    > Hi there
    > How safe is it to download active x controls from sites such as Trend Micro?
    > To use their on-line virus scanner you have to do the active x thing first.
    > I already know you shouldn't do this with a non-trusted site, but how safe
    > are they from a supposedly 'safe' site??
    > Regards
    > Debbie

    Without them the online scanner won't run.

    --
    Conor

    -- George Patton

    Conor, Jan 22, 2005
  4. On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 09:56:15 GMT, "Ladydeb" <> wrote:

    >Hi there
    >How safe is it to download active x controls from sites such as Trend Micro?
    >To use their on-line virus scanner you have to do the active x thing first.
    >I already know you shouldn't do this with a non-trusted site, but how safe
    >are they from a supposedly 'safe' site??
    >Regards
    >Debbie

    Trend is a reputable security software company. If you have to ask,
    don't go there.

    Had a cu recently who wanted to clean spyware off their machine
    (kazaa, pogo and online poker user) and wanted to know if it was safe
    to download adaware from downloads.com...

    Swill

    --

    You can have my forteinc.com account when you pry it out of my
    cold, dead, hard drive. http://www.forteinc.com

    Governor Swill, Jan 22, 2005
  5. Ladydeb

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Governor Swill" <> wrote in message
    | On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 09:56:15 GMT, "Ladydeb" <> wrote:
    |
    | >Hi there
    | >How safe is it to download active x controls from sites such as Trend
    Micro?
    | >To use their on-line virus scanner you have to do the active x thing
    first.
    | >I already know you shouldn't do this with a non-trusted site, but how
    safe
    | >are they from a supposedly 'safe' site??
    | >Regards
    | >Debbie
    | >

    | Trend is a reputable security software company. If you have to ask,
    | don't go there.
    |
    | Had a cu recently who wanted to clean spyware off their machine
    | (kazaa, pogo and online poker user) and wanted to know if it was safe
    | to download adaware from downloads.com...

    Last time I was at www.download.com, I noticed that there are notes (from
    their editors) on many pages indicating whether a program includes adware or
    not. Quite helpful - the big question would be accuracy.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 22, 2005
  6. On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 13:04:34 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
    <> wrote:

    >| Had a cu recently who wanted to clean spyware off their machine
    >| (kazaa, pogo and online poker user) and wanted to know if it was safe
    >| to download adaware from downloads.com...
    >|
    >Last time I was at www.download.com, I noticed that there are notes (from
    >their editors) on many pages indicating whether a program includes adware or
    >not. Quite helpful - the big question would be accuracy.

    Cool! That customer just sort of stuck in my head. She had to close
    Pogo before we could troubleshoot her original issue (email) and here
    she is asking if the program the tech just told her to download was
    safe to download from the site he told her to get it from.

    Swill
    I actually enjoy with the ignorant. It's the stupid I tell to hire a
    local tech.

    Governor Swill, Jan 23, 2005
  7. Ladydeb

    | On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 13:04:34 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
    | <> wrote:
    |
    | >| Had a cu recently who wanted to clean spyware off their machine
    | >| (kazaa, pogo and online poker user) and wanted to know if it was safe
    | >| to download adaware from downloads.com...
    | >|
    | >Last time I was at www.download.com, I noticed that there are notes (from
    | >their editors) on many pages indicating whether a program includes adware
    or
    | >not. Quite helpful - the big question would be accuracy.
    |
    | Cool! That customer just sort of stuck in my head. She had to close
    | Pogo before we could troubleshoot her original issue (email) and here
    | she is asking if the program the tech just told her to download was
    | safe to download from the site he told her to get it from.
    |
    | Swill
    | I actually enjoy with the ignorant. It's the stupid I tell to hire a
    | local tech.

    Concur. The ignorant can be taught...the stupid remain so <g>

    Toolman Tim, Jan 23, 2005
  8. Ladydeb wrote:

    > Hi there How safe is it to download active x controls from sites such
    > as Trend Micro? To use their on-line virus scanner you have to do the
    > active x thing first. I already know you shouldn't do this with a
    > non-trusted site, but how safe are they from a supposedly 'safe'
    > site??

    Only as safe as the webserver's maintained.

    If you're SURE you're getting the right ActiveX, it shouldn't be a
    problem....

    On the other hand, all the dire warnings on security with IE
    specifically suggest turning ActiveX off.

    Best of luck, now that I've mired things up for you. (Sorry)

    --

    BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
    (BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)

    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Jan 23, 2005