Active Window not pulled to front...

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Gary S. Terhune, Oct 28, 2006.

  1. Hard to come up with a short Subject line, <s>.

    Issue is two-fold, though I think it's the same problem...

    Active windows aren't being pulled to front. Some dialogues, for instance,
    or a newly launched IE instance, particularly one that is autolaunched, like
    Google when you click on a link and have it set to open link in a new page
    (which in IE7 opens a new instance instead of a new tab.) Or when I print
    from an application and the printer I'm using pops up a dialogue after the
    initial dialogue, instead of seeing that on top, the focus remains on
    application.

    Also, clicking on Taskbar button (with several windows open), instead of
    bringing up that window, it will instead bring up the last one in the queue.

    While I started really noticing it after installing IE7 this morning, but
    wife says it was doing this before.

    Oh, and we're in WinXPx64.

    --

    Gary S. Terhune
    MS-MVP Shell/User

    Gary S. Terhune, Oct 28, 2006

  2. Gosh, is this so rare that I'm the only one? Guess I'll start doing a
    clean-boot diagnostics. Boy, will *that* take some time, <s>. Wish me luck!

    Gary S. Terhune, Oct 29, 2006

  3. Does XP64 have a TweakUI? ; )
    If so use its General \ Focus tweak to help control focus and window
    ordering.

    Alternatively see

    <title>KB886217 - New program window appears behind all other open windows
    on a Windows 2000-based, Windows XP-based, or Windows Server 2003-based
    computer</title>

    for the specific registry values involved in an equivalent manual tweak.

    (TechNet search for
    focus "tweak ui"
    )

    Unfortunately the article is not tagged with keyword tweakui (without the
    space).

    HTH

    Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9iZXJ0IEFsZHdpbmNrbGU=?=, Nov 3, 2006
  4. Don't know about x64 TUI, and I've tended to avoid TUI whenever possible.
    Thanks for the KB article, though. I don't think I could have come up with
    that one on my own, <s>.

    Gary S. Terhune, Nov 4, 2006