    location including ntds.dit file.
    Is this true only for some versions of Windows server? I appreciate yout
    time and input. Thank you.
    mike, May 26, 2009

  2. "mike" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I am preparing for the exam, but would like to clarify how ntbackup
    >restores
    > active directory when restoring to an alternate location.

    It doesn't. :)

    > All the literature
    > - including the official MS Training Kit - I've found states that "when
    > restoring to an alternate location the AD db, COm + files and certificates
    > db
    > are not restored."

    This is correct.

    > However, I have performed this task in Windows 2003 R2
    > server and my tests show that ALL FILES- were restored to the alternate
    > location including ntds.dit file.

    This is also correct.

    The Active Directory service looks for the NTDS.DIT folder in a specific
    location. If you restore an NTDS.DIT file to an alternate location, the AD
    service won't be able to see it there -- thus, restoring to an alternate
    location does not restore, because the active NTDS.DIT is still in the same
    place it was before you started the restore to the alternate location.

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com
    Lawrence Garvin [MVP], May 26, 2009

  3. mike

    mike Guest

    That's what I thought, but I was intrigued by the literature that
    specifically states to restore system state to an alternate location whenever
    autho restoring an AD leaf or object. I assumed they ommitted the part about
    first restoring the AD db to its original location and that the alternate
    location part applies to sysvol only. Otherwise it would not work.
    Thnx for the clarification. It should help for the test. : )
    Regards.

    mike, May 27, 2009