Active Desktop help needed pls

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Fred Flintstone, Jan 16, 2004.

  1. I've altered the settings for my Desktop and made things a real mess, tried
    > everything I can think off to fix it. Now it may be time to ask the

    experts,
    > which is why I'm here !
    >
    > I right clicked the desktop
    > Active Desktop
    > View as Web Page
    > Played around with things (cant remember exactly what)
    > Then Changed my mind and deselected View as Web Page.
    > Problem is this:
    > After Windows starts the Desktop is displayed as a web page, all my Icons
    > have disappeared!
    > So I right Click the Desktop
    > View as Web Page is NOT ticked
    > I select this then Right Click Desktop once again,
    > This time View as Web Page is Ticked, so I deselect it
    > and Desktop goes back to normal
    > Except now I have two new Icons on Desktop, a Txt file "Desktop.ini" and

    one
    > named Folder which windows is unable to open (does not recognise). Usually
    > this works but just lately the desktop has been freezing, I do Alt Ctrl

    Del

    Fred Flintstone, Jan 16, 2004

  2. Fred Flintstone

    Jerry G. Guest

    It sounds like something really got corrupted! With normal use, this should
    not happen.

    What operating system are you using? If you are using Win98 there is an
    easy way to possibly go back a few levels of saved registry.

    Boot to DOS, not shell to DOS from Windows. The machine has to be booted to
    DOS. Run scanreg, and go through the prompts to find the list of backed up
    registries. By default it goes back 6 levels. Select the oldest one in
    case it has been copying a few of them over for each reboot. After doing the
    selection to replace the existing one, then do a full reboot.

    If this does not work then something happened that is going to be
    complicated to resolve. But, it should be fixable without a re-installation,
    if the operating system is not really damaged.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

    Jerry G., Jan 17, 2004

  3. Fred Flintstone

    Wizard Guest

    Before you restore your registry try to fix it with scanreg/fix

    Wizard, Jan 17, 2004
  4. Thanks for the Reply Jerry,
    Followed your suggestion but each time I tried to restore the Registry I got
    an error message that said registry could not be restored, when I tried
    again the previous restore point had dissapeared. I started at the oldest
    and went through all 6 but to no avail.
    Then I started looking at the two mysterious new files on the desktop.
    Sometimes the simplest of ideas are the ones we overlook the easiest. I
    renamed both files in case they were vital then rebooted. Would you believe
    it everything is now back to normal, SUCCESS !!. I then moved them to a new
    location, rebooted just to check everthing ok and now I think it will be ok
    to delete them.
    Thanks again for your help
    Fred

    Fred Flintstone, Jan 17, 2004