    the activation server, when the Vista installation is having Internet up and
    running?

    Tony. . .
    Tony Sperling, Dec 18, 2006

  2. Tony Sperling wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > This is a dual-boot setup, can anyone tell me why XP x64 refuses to contact
    > the activation server, when the Vista installation is having Internet up and
    > running?
    >

    > Tony. . .

    How do you connect to the Internet? Do you have WinXPx64-specific
    drivers for your network adapter installed?

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Bruce Chambers, Dec 18, 2006

  3. Is your mobo one that has the nVidia firewall (installed or not)?

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 18, 2006
  4. What Colin said, Tony. Nvidia chipset? The activation is 32-bit, I think...

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 18, 2006
  5. Goodness! - I have that but I was sure I uninstalled it.

    Nothing you guy's could've said would surprise me more. I'll look it over,
    thanks!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Dec 18, 2006
  6. O.K. - I've figured out what probably happened. . .when installing that
    Vista, I inserted the Asus System CD and wanted to see if any of that
    installed, it pretty much looked as though it didn't and I must have thought
    that was more or less what I expected and forgot all about it.

    Apparently, this was enough for it to creep in - strange! I am removing
    Vista, by the way. Installed Win2K on to a small partition on the first IDE,
    and will re-install XP x64 on the remaining two as RAID0 and activate before
    it runs old. Finally, I'll install a 64bit Gentoo system next to Win2K - it
    seems this will accomodate for all their separate personalities. I hope!

    Thanks!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Dec 18, 2006
  7. Gotcha!

    Glad we have it sorted.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 18, 2006
  8. Yes, I can hardly contain myself!

    Honestly though, I'm not sure I will notice the effect, but it is a good
    feeling to know it widens the bottleneck. And there'll be room enough to
    throw in a Vista if they decide to release a 'trial' after all.

    Tony. . .

    "Carlos" <> wrote in message
    > RAID0!!!
    > Get ready for speed, Tony.
    > Carlos
    >
    > "Tony Sperling" wrote:
    >
    > > O.K. - I've figured out what probably happened. . .when installing that
    > > Vista, I inserted the Asus System CD and wanted to see if any of that
    > > installed, it pretty much looked as though it didn't and I must have

    thought
    > > that was more or less what I expected and forgot all about it.
    > >
    > > Apparently, this was enough for it to creep in - strange! I am removing
    > > Vista, by the way. Installed Win2K on to a small partition on the first

    IDE,
    > > and will re-install XP x64 on the remaining two as RAID0 and activate

    before
    > > it runs old. Finally, I'll install a 64bit Gentoo system next to Win2K -

    it
    > > seems this will accomodate for all their separate personalities. I hope!
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > >

    > > Tony. . .
    > >

    > > "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in

    message

    Tony Sperling, Dec 18, 2006
  9. Just wait till you see the moving bars in XP x64 boot screen.
    You wiil hardly see it.
    Login screen will show up a few secs later.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Dec 19, 2006
  10. That's true, software loading and installation is where you really may see a
    difference, I just installed W2K today, on the IDE - things that used to
    take half an hour a few years ago was made to short shrift in a matter of
    seconds - this machine really is fast, it's just hard to believe it is
    waiting for anything as it is.

    I'm having trouble with C&Q, here - I may have to go over it again before I
    begin RAID'ing for real?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Dec 19, 2006