Activated ADSL interfering with regular Internet Calls?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John, Apr 5, 2004.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Hello.

    I just wondered if it is possible for a UK BT Phone line which has
    just been activated with ADSL to have problems when trying to connect
    to the regular internet?

    My ADSL company I signed with still haven't contacted me to sort out
    the broadband despite charging my card weeks ago. I have been having
    trouble connecting to regular dial-up internet though recently and
    thought it may be because of this. I always seem to have a message
    down the phone saying that "the number you have dialled has not been
    recognised" even if it is correct. Also the regular internet stopped
    working through the Phone line socket of the ADSL micro filter I have,
    so I just had to connect it directly to the phone line. It is not a
    problem with the actual filter because I have a few different filters
    and it is now the same with all of them.

    Hopefully I'll have this broadband sorted out once and for all soon,
    if I can get through to them on the phone. It's unbelievable the
    number of ISPs out there with shockingly poor customer service.

    Cheers for any help

    John

    John, Apr 5, 2004

  2. John

    Rv! Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Hello.
    >
    > I just wondered if it is possible for a UK BT Phone line which has
    > just been activated with ADSL to have problems when trying to connect
    > to the regular internet?

    Yes this happens in my case also.
    Dialup is getting a much slower link speed due to the BB signal,
    even when the correct filters are attached.

    > My ADSL company I signed with still haven't contacted me to sort out
    > the broadband despite charging my card weeks ago. I have been having
    > trouble connecting to regular dial-up internet though recently and
    > thought it may be because of this. I always seem to have a message
    > down the phone saying that "the number you have dialled has not been
    > recognised" even if it is correct. Also the regular internet stopped
    > working through the Phone line socket of the ADSL micro filter I have,
    > so I just had to connect it directly to the phone line. It is not a
    > problem with the actual filter because I have a few different filters
    > and it is now the same with all of them.

    Listen to the line without a filter. The phone should work, but sound
    distorted (clicky and scratchy) if ADSL is enabled.

    Rv!, Apr 6, 2004

  3. why would you want to use dial-up and what do you mean when you say "regular
    internet"??
    with your ADSL you should have recived a 'splitter' and some sort of
    'ethernet/ADSL box' if this is the case remove your dial-up modem and just
    connect thru your networkcard to 'box' and 'box' to 'splitter' and
    'splitter' to wallplug!
    if it does not work I will deny any knowledge of your actions.

    Allan Birnbaum Ditlevsen, Apr 6, 2004