Actiontec GT704WG with Win98SE wired / XP Laptop wireless

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by !:?\), Apr 5, 2006.

  1. !:?\)

    !:?\) Guest

    Hello,

    Wired computer Win98SE can't see router (ping etc... or log onto it anymore)
    and Laptop XP won't stay connected more than ten minutes 3 feet from Wi-Fi
    Router.

    (I can log onto the Router by connecting the Laptop Wired)

    I have a win98se wired to the router and have added a Dell Laptop with XP on
    the wireless side.

    Now I have access to the internet with the Win98 but can't accress the
    router on 192.168.1.1 anymore since I added the Laptop.

    The Laptop connects to the Wireless but drops the connection after a few
    minutes and will not reconnect even with repair.

    The only way I can get it to connect is to use Network Connection to access
    the properties of the network and click ok without changing anything and it
    connects.

    The wireless says it's disconnected but there is a disconnect button instead
    of the connect button that suggests it is connected.

    I have to click disconnect on the Wireless before using the Network
    Connections, properties on the wireless etc... or it won't connect.

    Both Verizon and Dell haven't been able to figure it out.
    Neither seems to know how to set up WPA or WEP for that matter and seem to
    prefer I set up without them.
    They did try and I have it working, sort of now, but it ain't right.

    Right now I'm usinf 64 bit WEP but will change that as soon as I figure out
    these two problems.

    Thanks for any help.

    Kevin

    !:?\), Apr 5, 2006