Action: the Complete Series on DVD

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Stan Brown, Mar 3, 2006.

  1. Stan Brown

    Stan Brown Guest

    Just a note to anyone who may have been thinking of buying it.

    The video and sound are excellent. There are no subtitles but at
    least there are closed captions. Extras are quite thin. On disk 1
    there's a commentary on just one episode, and the commentary was
    pretty lame. There's supposed to be a making-of on disk 2, but I
    haven't watched that yet.

    The little bumpers, in 1950s drive-in style, have been included.
    (Example: "Intermission" cards.)

    Having the actual swear words instead of the beeps didn't detract
    from the humor, as I had feared it might. (I don't object to the
    words; it's just that the bleeps were funny.)

    At $17 or so, this is a bargain.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "You may be the Universe's butt puppet, but I'm its right-
    hand fist of fate." -- /Wonderfalls/

    Stan Brown, Mar 3, 2006

  2. Stan Brown

    Guest

    Stan Brown wrote:
    > Just a note to anyone who may have been thinking of buying it.
    >
    > The video and sound are excellent. There are no subtitles but at
    > least there are closed captions. Extras are quite thin. On disk 1
    > there's a commentary on just one episode, and the commentary was
    > pretty lame. There's supposed to be a making-of on disk 2, but I
    > haven't watched that yet.
    >
    > The little bumpers, in 1950s drive-in style, have been included.
    > (Example: "Intermission" cards.)
    >
    > Having the actual swear words instead of the beeps didn't detract
    > from the humor, as I had feared it might. (I don't object to the
    > words; it's just that the bleeps were funny.)
    >
    > At $17 or so, this is a bargain.

    I'm getting it from Netflix. Can't hardly wait. I'm not sure I get the
    difference between subtitles and closed captions.

    , Mar 3, 2006

  3. Stan Brown

    Biz Guest

    CC is handled by your tv's CC decoder. Subtitles are handled by the dvd
    player, and you can choose from any of the available subtitles streams on a
    disk, usually a couple of languages if it has them that the dvd player
    overlays on the picture...your tv overlays the CC, and since they intended
    for the hearing impaired, there are also other references like "music
    playing", etc....that wouldnt usually be found in subtitles....which are
    more intended for the non-hearing impaired, but maybe just language
    challenged....

    Biz, Mar 3, 2006