    using the file.

    WTF?! dlls acting up?

    -ChrisCoaster
    ChrisCoaster, Nov 15, 2011

  2. ChrisCoaster

    Paul Guest

    Re: Action Aborted! This file is in use by another program. Pleaseclose that instance of . . . .

    ChrisCoaster wrote:
    > I'm getting this message increasingly more often when going into the
    > properties of songs, videos, and regular documents to change
    > filenames, artists, or genres.
    >
    > I check Ctrl+Alt & Del and can't find any "other programs" that are
    > using the file.
    >
    > WTF?! dlls acting up?
    >
    > -ChrisCoaster

    An AV scanner may closely correlate with your desktop activities,
    as things "touched" tended to get scanned immediately before you
    can use them. Maybe it's a related timing issue ?

    You may be able to use a Sysinternals program like Handle, to get info on
    what programs have a file open. But if the reference is
    fleeting, you might not catch it. I think one of the other programs
    in that series, can also give info in the same way as Handle does.
    Process Monitor could be told to log certain file related activities,
    and that might be a way to trace it.

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896655

    I've used Handle before, to figure out what was keeping a serial port
    open. But it was hard enough to figure out, that I've only been able
    to do that once, and haven't managed to figure it out again.
    Some serial ports are "virtual" on my machine (USB to RS232), and
    I can't figure out the naming convention.

    If it's Windows 7, a possible factor might be the usage of libraries.
    See if the files that trigger it, are all corralled into libraries,
    while files that don't, are outside libraries. Some people in the
    Windows 7 group, have seen weird behavior when a registry edit is
    done to actually disable the Library feature. It's like the OS
    refers to the file twice, and the first time may pop up a
    transient error dialog that is of no consequence.

    Paul
    Paul, Nov 15, 2011

  3. Re: Action Aborted! This file is in use by another program. Please close that instance of . . . .

    ChrisCoaster snuck on to your hard drive to scribble:
    > I'm getting this message increasingly more often when going into the
    > properties of songs, videos, and regular documents to change
    > filenames, artists, or genres.
    >
    > I check Ctrl+Alt & Del and can't find any "other programs" that are
    > using the file.
    >
    > WTF?! dlls acting up?
    >
    > -ChrisCoaster

    Are you playing the song or vid or such at the time you're trying to
    make the change?

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim

    "Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's
    troublesome."
    - Isaac Asimov
    James D Andrews, Nov 16, 2011
  4. ChrisCoaster

    Kele Guest

    Re: Action Aborted! This file is in use by another program. Please close that instance of . . . .

    I get that sometimes. What Paul & James says is occasionally true...
    another app has it open (among all the tabs running)

    Maybe the thing is Read-Only (properties)

    But I like this to Take Ownership of a file
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...ership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/

    Kele, Nov 16, 2011
  5. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    On Nov 16, 6:56 am, James D Andrews <> wrote:
    > ChrisCoaster snuck on to your hard drive to scribble:
    >
    > > I'm getting this message increasingly more often when going into the
    > > properties of songs, videos, and regular documents to change
    > > filenames, artists, or genres.

    > > I check Ctrl+Alt & Del and can't find any "other programs" that are
    > > using the file.

    > > WTF?!   dlls acting up?

    > > -ChrisCoaster

    > Are you playing the song or vid or such at the time you're trying to
    > make the change?
    >
    > --
    > -There are some who call me...
    > Jim
    >
    > "Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's
    > troublesome."
    > - Isaac Asimov

    __________________

    Of course not Jim. Don't you think I would have checked what was open
    in my task bar?

    <sigh..>
    ChrisCoaster, Nov 18, 2011
  6. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    On Nov 16, 2:56 pm, "Kele" <> wrote:
    > I get that sometimes.  What Paul & James says is occasionally true...
    > another app has it open (among all the tabs running)
    >
    > Maybe the thing is Read-Only (properties)
    >
    > But I like this to Take Ownership of a filehttp://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-ex...
    >

    > "ChrisCoaster" <> wrote:
    > > I'm getting this message increasingly more often when going into the
    > > properties of songs, videos, and regular documents to change
    > > filenames, artists, or genres.

    > > I check Ctrl+Alt & Del and can't find any "other programs" that are
    > > using the file.

    > > WTF?!   dlls acting up?

    > > -ChrisCoaster- Hide quoted text -

    ____________________
    What Paul said - as usual! - rang the most logical. James simply
    overlooked the fact that I indeed checked, both in Task Manager and in
    the most obvious arena - the Taskbar at the bottom of the screen. I
    don't think having multiple folders showing with the same file counts
    as "another program using the file", does it? I back up my songs
    from C: to J:(portable drive) frequently.

    Apologies for fewer details: Mine is HP Pavillion, Vista SP2, 3.5Gig
    of RAM. Also, I get the above message randomly, sometimes not for
    days, sometimes 2x in the same sitting.

    -CC
    ChrisCoaster, Nov 18, 2011
  7. Re: Action Aborted! This file is in use by another program. Please close that instance of . . . .

    ChrisCoaster embroidered on the monitor :
    > On Nov 16, 6:56 am, James D Andrews <> wrote:
    >> ChrisCoaster snuck on to your hard drive to scribble:
    >>
    >>> I'm getting this message increasingly more often when going into the
    >>> properties of songs, videos, and regular documents to change
    >>> filenames, artists, or genres.

    >>> I check Ctrl+Alt & Del and can't find any "other programs" that are
    >>> using the file.

    >>> WTF?!   dlls acting up?

    >>> -ChrisCoaster

    >> Are you playing the song or vid or such at the time you're trying to
    >> make the change?
    >>
    >> --
    >> -There are some who call me...
    >> Jim
    >>
    >> "Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's
    >> troublesome."
    >> - Isaac Asimov

    > __________________
    >
    > Of course not Jim. Don't you think I would have checked what was open
    > in my task bar?
    >
    > <sigh..>

    No offense, Chris. I think just about anyone is capable of overlooking
    the obvious at times. I know I have more times than I care to count.

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim

    "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
    James D Andrews, Nov 19, 2011