Acronis TrueImage & problems making image disk via CD-R

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by fucknutzoid, Nov 23, 2003.

  1. fucknutzoid

    fucknutzoid Guest

    I'm having a little trouble with Acronis TrueImage; let me see if I can
    explain.

    I was trying to back up the contents of my c: drive to a CD-R, but
    whenever I get to the point where it's asking me to put the first CD-R
    disk in the drive and click OK, I get "Error: device is busy. Please
    press Retry to continue with Volume 1 or press Cancel to cancel the
    operation and quit."

    I'm have a LiteOn CD-R drive that I normally use Nero 5.5 software to
    burn with. And nothing's going on with it at the time, except for me
    inserting the CD-R disk. It's been burning other stuff fine, with no
    errors.

    I was able to make an image of my c: drive and put it on a slave drive
    with no problem. But I'd like to have it on CD-R as a spare.

    Is there an issue with LiteOn CD-R drives and TrueImage?

    I even tried rebooting and starting again, but no luck.

    I emailed Acronis Tech Support, but they were no help.

    Hope somebody in here can point the way - thanks!

    fucknutzoid, Nov 23, 2003

  2. fucknutzoid wrote:
    > I'm having a little trouble with Acronis TrueImage; let me see if I
    > can explain.
    >
    > I was trying to back up the contents of my c: drive to a CD-R, but
    > whenever I get to the point where it's asking me to put the first
    > CD-R disk in the drive and click OK, I get "Error: device is busy.
    > Please press Retry to continue with Volume 1 or press Cancel to
    > cancel the operation and quit."
    >
    > I'm have a LiteOn CD-R drive that I normally use Nero 5.5 software to
    > burn with. And nothing's going on with it at the time, except for me
    > inserting the CD-R disk. It's been burning other stuff fine, with no
    > errors.
    >
    > I was able to make an image of my c: drive and put it on a slave drive
    > with no problem. But I'd like to have it on CD-R as a spare.
    >
    > Is there an issue with LiteOn CD-R drives and TrueImage?
    >
    > I even tried rebooting and starting again, but no luck.
    >
    > I emailed Acronis Tech Support, but they were no help.
    >
    > Hope somebody in here can point the way - thanks!

    I used Acronis a while back and had no problems with it and my LITE-ON
    LTR-16102B. (I just found it took way to long to do it's job)

    A couple of things you might try:

    1) Check with the Acronis website, to ensure that your version of their
    software supports your LITE-ON model.

    2) Try not using your Nero software. IIRC the Acronis program comes with
    it's own CD burning software.

    --
    HTH

    George Richards, Nov 23, 2003

  3. fucknutzoid

    fucknutzoid Guest

    "George Richards" <> wrote in news:294wb.621$dt2.43242
    @news20.bellglobal.com:

    > I used Acronis a while back and had no problems with it and my LITE-ON
    > LTR-16102B. (I just found it took way to long to do it's job)
    >
    > A couple of things you might try:
    >
    > 1) Check with the Acronis website, to ensure that your version of

    their
    > software supports your LITE-ON model.
    >
    > 2) Try not using your Nero software. IIRC the Acronis program comes

    with
    > it's own CD burning software.

    Thanks for the suggestion - I was actually using the Acronis software to
    try and create the image.

    I didn't check the website for compatibility with my LiteOn drive;
    that's my next move. Thanks!!

    fucknutzoid, Nov 23, 2003
  4. fucknutzoid

    Gary Danaher Guest

    I've used True Image and generally like it, although some builds are
    buggy. They have updated software, so check their page for the latest
    version. What is confusing is that it will write in the specified
    partion lengths to the cd's, say 1 to 10. It shouldn't kick out a cd
    until it is finished writing to it, and then it will ask for another new
    cd to burn the next partiton. Take the first one out and mark it as #1
    and so forth. When you use them to reinstall a drive partition, it will
    first ask for the LAST cd because there is saved the overall
    information. It will then prompt you to insert the FIRST cd and then it
    will go through them all. Remember that you should verify each cd either
    during or after the write. If you have 10 cd's to do a drive and the 9th
    one is bad, then everything is bad. The problem I had was that after
    reinstalling an image, the boot pation sometimes didn't work properly
    and I had to reinstall the OS on top of the whole thing again. I didn't
    lose anything but time, but it didn't always work as advertised. The up
    side is that you don't have to quit from Windows to run the program, and
    it is no mor buggy than Ghost when it comes to some operations. I always
    keep a couple sets of backups in case the current one is damaged.

    Gary Danaher, Nov 24, 2003
  5. fucknutzoid

    fucknutzoid Guest

    Gary Danaher <> wrote in

    > I've used True Image and generally like it, although some builds are
    > buggy. They have updated software, so check their page for the latest
    > version. What is confusing is that it will write in the specified
    > partion lengths to the cd's, say 1 to 10. It shouldn't kick out a cd
    > until it is finished writing to it, and then it will ask for another
    > new cd to burn the next partiton. Take the first one out and mark it
    > as #1 and so forth. When you use them to reinstall a drive partition,
    > it will first ask for the LAST cd because there is saved the overall
    > information. It will then prompt you to insert the FIRST cd and then
    > it will go through them all. Remember that you should verify each cd
    > either during or after the write. If you have 10 cd's to do a drive
    > and the 9th one is bad, then everything is bad. The problem I had was
    > that after reinstalling an image, the boot pation sometimes didn't
    > work properly and I had to reinstall the OS on top of the whole thing
    > again. I didn't lose anything but time, but it didn't always work as
    > advertised. The up side is that you don't have to quit from Windows to
    > run the program, and it is no mor buggy than Ghost when it comes to
    > some operations. I always keep a couple sets of backups in case the
    > current one is damaged.

    Quick question - should I be copying these images onto CD-RWs, after I
    format the CD-RW disks? 'Cause I was just trying to burn them onto
    regular CD-Rs, and I think that may be part of the problem. Whenever I
    tried to burn the images, I would get the same kind of error you would
    get if you tried to copy something to a floppy drive but didn't have a
    disk in it.

    fucknutzoid, Nov 24, 2003