Acronis True Image Drive Image7 or Norton Ghost 2003

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by c.rowlands4, Dec 6, 2003.

  1. c.rowlands4

    c.rowlands4 Guest

    Hi. I've been Googling and have checked various sites but cannot make up my
    mind as to which would be the best for me. I wish to allow my system (XP
    Home) but create timed automated back-ups of my C drive to another HDD. C
    Drive 40Gb of which 20 occupied but I expect to be up to 30Gb soon (scanning
    in many historic personal photos at present). The second drive is intended
    to be purely for back-up and therefore at least at present should be capable
    of 4 back-ups before I hope automated overwrite of the eldest back-up.

    Has anyone experience of these on XPhome? - do they do what they say? Is
    there any nasty hidden secrets like having to play with the Register - a
    world I fear and do not wish to enter often?

    Would be grateful for your views and thanks in advance.

    ---
    c.rowlands4, Dec 6, 2003

  2. I like Acronis after having used a couple of incarnations. It allows
    creation of a boot CD and not just boot floppies.

    Peter C. Bogert, Dec 6, 2003

  3. c.rowlands4

    EricP Guest

    On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 19:38:25 -0000, "c.rowlands4"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi. I've been Googling and have checked various sites but cannot make up my
    >mind as to which would be the best for me. I wish to allow my system (XP
    >Home) but create timed automated back-ups of my C drive to another HDD. C
    >Drive 40Gb of which 20 occupied but I expect to be up to 30Gb soon (scanning
    >in many historic personal photos at present). The second drive is intended
    >to be purely for back-up and therefore at least at present should be capable
    >of 4 back-ups before I hope automated overwrite of the eldest back-up.
    >
    >Has anyone experience of these on XPhome? - do they do what they say? Is
    >there any nasty hidden secrets like having to play with the Register - a
    >world I fear and do not wish to enter often?
    >
    >Would be grateful for your views and thanks in advance.

    Acronis every time.

    Ease of use, mounting the images to look in them, everything.
    EricP, Dec 6, 2003
  4. c.rowlands4

    c.rowlands4 Guest

    Thanks Peter /Eric.
    Your views are appreciated. I've not heard any adverse comment about Power
    Quest or (Bloatware) or Norton's offers - that's interesting!& ?

    c.rowlands4 wrote:
    > Hi. I've been Googling and have checked various sites but cannot make
    > up my mind as to which would be the best for me. I wish to allow my
    > system (XP Home) but create timed automated back-ups of my C drive to
    > another HDD. C Drive 40Gb of which 20 occupied but I expect to be up
    > to 30Gb soon (scanning in many historic personal photos at present).
    > The second drive is intended to be purely for back-up and therefore
    > at least at present should be capable of 4 back-ups before I hope
    > automated overwrite of the eldest back-up.
    >
    > Has anyone experience of these on XPhome? - do they do what they say?
    > Is there any nasty hidden secrets like having to play with the
    > Register - a world I fear and do not wish to enter often?
    >
    > Would be grateful for your views and thanks in advance.
    >

    > ---

    ---
    c.rowlands4, Dec 7, 2003
  5. c.rowlands4

    ñKs Guest

    You didnt ask about Powerquest.....Ghost or Acronis cant do RAID imaging,
    Powerquest can though...

    ñKs, Dec 7, 2003
  6. c.rowlands4

    c.rowlands4 Guest

    mmm? Thx for this.
    "ñKs" <> wrote in message
    > You didnt ask about Powerquest.....Ghost or Acronis cant do RAID imaging,
    > Powerquest can though...
    >
    > "c.rowlands4" <> wrote in message
    > > Thanks Peter /Eric.
    > > Your views are appreciated. I've not heard any adverse comment about

    Power
    > > Quest or (Bloatware) or Norton's offers - that's interesting!& ?
    > >
    > > c.rowlands4 wrote:
    > > > Hi. I've been Googling and have checked various sites but cannot make
    > > > up my mind as to which would be the best for me. I wish to allow my
    > > > system (XP Home) but create timed automated back-ups of my C drive to
    > > > another HDD. C Drive 40Gb of which 20 occupied but I expect to be up
    > > > to 30Gb soon (scanning in many historic personal photos at present).
    > > > The second drive is intended to be purely for back-up and therefore
    > > > at least at present should be capable of 4 back-ups before I hope
    > > > automated overwrite of the eldest back-up.
    > > >
    > > > Has anyone experience of these on XPhome? - do they do what they say?
    > > > Is there any nasty hidden secrets like having to play with the
    > > > Register - a world I fear and do not wish to enter often?
    > > >
    > > > Would be grateful for your views and thanks in advance.
    > > >

    > > > ---

    > > ---

    ---
    c.rowlands4, Dec 7, 2003
  7. Well, Norton is good. No question about it. But I like being able to boot
    off of a CD (especially when I have no floppy!!) and in my opinion, the
    restore time with Acronis is quite a bit faster than with Ghost.

    Peter C. Bogert, Dec 7, 2003