Acronis True Image 9 burning to DVD questions

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by All Things Mopar, Feb 18, 2006.

  1. I decided to buy Acronis 9.0 True image based on endorsements
    I've read here. It seems that the largest limitation and
    annoyance is True Image's lack of a direct-to-DVD backup. It
    took me a while to figure out why I'd want to do this, instead
    of just sending the image to my backup external HD, but I did:
    to create a bootable restore set in the event that Windows is so
    messed up that it won't book in Safe Mode and/or booting off the
    Windows install CD and repairing fails.

    I received the following reply from my request for clarification
    from Acronis. I don't fully understand the answer and would like
    a little help. Here's the full text, with my comments
    interleaved within ( ):

    "Please note that the current version of Acronis True Image 9.0
    does not write to DVD dis?s directly, instead it utilizes third-
    party UDF-packet DVD-writing software. We may recommend you to
    install a UDF-packet DVD-writing software such as Ahead InCD or
    Roxio DirectCD, format DVD dis?s by means of this software and
    then use formatted dis?s with Acronis True Image.

    (I have Roxio Easy Media Creator 8, but I left DirectCD out
    because or prior back experiences. I can do a partial install,
    but I don't understand the specific from Acronis to pre-format X
    number of discs, one bootable, prior to making an image. How
    would I know how many to pre-format?)

    "Also DVD-R disks are not supported in Acronis True Image.
    We may recommend you to use DVD-RW and DVD+R(W) discs instead.
    DVD+RW and DVD-RW discs can be formatted by any of the third-
    party UDF-packet DVD-writing applications, while DVD+R at this
    moment can be formatted only by Roxio Drag To Disc.

    (I've had bad experiences with DVD-RW from eventually making an
    entire disc corrupt in the midst of adding more data, so I don't
    want to use them. My question is: what exactly are DVD+R and how
    do I recognize them in a store? Does the "+" been "plus", as in
    better? I don't know enough about optical formats to at all
    understand why True Image is so insistant on only one kind of
    disc.)

    "Please also read the information about writing to DVDs in our
    FAQ:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/faq.html

    (this says I would need to use Roxio drag-to-disc that I also
    left out, but it seems /not/ to talk about compatibility with
    DVD+R as listed in the opening paragraph above. What gives,
    please?)

    "Please find the information on how to create a bootable DVD
    which contains a backup as well at
    &highlight=bootable

    (I don't understand the need for a 635MG limit to each 'disc' in
    True Image and cannot translate the instructions from Nero to my
    Roxio 8. Also, what is WinISO and why do I need it? I see that
    it is to convert a binary image to ISO but I have no clue what
    that is or why it is necessary for True Image. Please help)

    "Please note that using Acronis True Image 9.0 you will be able
    to create a special bootable rescue media (CD, a pack of
    floppies or a flash card). If your system fails you will just
    need to boot from the rescue media and restore the system.

    (Is the main point to create a bootable /CD/ with WinISO to just
    get the system started and then use the True Image image stored
    on my HD to do the sys restore? Or, is the sequence to create a
    bootable CD first, then burn directly from True Image to DVD+R
    discs formatted with UDF packet writing using Roxio DirectCD?
    Please clarify)

    "When booted from the bootable media you are able to access any
    connected hard disks as well as a wide variety of IDE, SCSI,
    FireWire (IEEE-1394), USB (1.0, 1.1, 2.0) and PC card (PCMCIA)
    interfaces and devices, including CD-ROM, CD-R(RW), DVD,
    magneto-optical drives, network, Iomega Zip and Jaz. So you can
    store your image files there.

    (this suggests the answer to my question above is to create a
    single bootable CD and then do the True Image restore from my
    HD, or alternatively, from a DVD-R set of discs holding the full
    True Image image set. Is this the right interpretation?

    Please download Acronis True Image 9.0 trial version at
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/download/trueimage/ in
    order to check how the product works.

    "The limitations of Acronis True Image 9.0 trial version are
    that you can only restore an image when you run the program from
    the bootable media. It is fully functional in Windows. The
    trial version evaluation period is 15 days."

    (This seems like a very onerous way of wounding the program. If
    I understand this right, I'd have to go through the trouble of
    making a bootable CD just in order to get True Image to start on
    a broken PC even if the actual image is on my HD. That makes me
    nervous. So, would people recommend I just believe that Acronis
    is good software, and pay the license fee and move on with my
    life?)

    "If you would like to order your software before the trial
    period ends, please visit the Acronis online store at
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/sales/online/

    "If you have any questions concerning our software, please feel
    free to contact us at your earliest convenience with the details
    and we will do our best to help you as soon as possible.

    "You are welcome to submit your comments on Acronis Customer
    Service. Your feedback is very important for us. You can send
    your comments to or fill the form at
    https://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/support/?ab=3.

    (I think that Acronis True Image is what I'm looking for, but
    I'd need a gentle nudge to understand enough of the instruction
    for burning direct to a packet written DVD+R disc with
    confidence. Thank you.)

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry
    All Things Mopar, Feb 18, 2006

  2. All Things Mopar

    old jon Guest

    "All Things Mopar" <> wrote in message
    >I decided to buy Acronis 9.0 True image based on endorsements
    > I've read here.

    Big Snip. Read the OP.

    Hi Jerry. I think I told you before, I use TI 8.
    You install it on your system. You then have the option to create a
    Acronis TI CD.
    In the event of your system `falling over`, you boot with the CD.
    You get the Acronis screen up, with Options on.
    Just click on Restore image and away you go.
    Tell it where the image is and have a quick cup of tea <g>.

    *I`d advise creating the image in the first place, to your Ext drive.*

    Then copy that image to DVD for extra safe keeping.
    As far as the type of DVD you use.
    Remember DVD+R are a Use Once solution. (Gets a bit expensive !)
    Whereas DVD-RW can be used several\many times, by simply erasing
    them, ready for re-use.
    DVD-RW are like great big floppy disks, so you have to format them,
    before use. You`d format a few, whilst there`s nothing much else going
    on with your system. (You can `quick format` them).
    Come back for more if you want to.

    --
    bw..OJ
    old jon, Feb 18, 2006

  3. Today old jon commented courteously on the subject at hand

    >>I decided to buy Acronis 9.0 True image based on
    >>endorsements I've read here.
    >>

    > Big Snip. Read the OP.
    >>

    > Hi Jerry. I think I told you before, I use TI 8.
    > You install it on your system. You then have the option to
    > create a Acronis TI CD.

    I think you did, old jon, but your comments are spinning on my
    HD somewhere, I apologize.

    By "TI 8" do you mean Acronis True Image 8? If yes, how does
    that help me?

    > In the event of your system `falling over`, you boot with
    > the CD. You get the Acronis screen up, with Options on.
    > Just click on Restore image and away you go.
    > Tell it where the image is and have a quick cup of tea <g>.
    >
    > *I`d advise creating the image in the first place, to your
    > Ext drive.*

    OK. I'm assuming that I can similarly use the True Image 9 CD
    the same way. Where does the TI CD come from? Acronis only
    sells a downloadable version, but will send a backup CD for
    another $12.99.

    Or, do you mean that the install program prompts me to let it
    create a bootable launch CD, or maybe I can build a bootable
    CD of the TI loader during or after I've created an image.

    I'm sorry for being so dense this morning, but I can't track
    the workflow here.

    > Then copy that image to DVD for extra safe keeping.
    > As far as the type of DVD you use.
    > Remember DVD+R are a Use Once solution. (Gets a bit
    > expensive !) Whereas DVD-RW can be used several\many times,
    > by simply erasing them, ready for re-use.
    > DVD-RW are like great big floppy disks, so you have to
    > format them, before use. You`d format a few, whilst there`s
    > nothing much else going on with your system. (You can
    > `quick format` them). Come back for more if you want to.

    My original intent was to simply create the image on my HD,
    then migrate them periodically to two external I move back and
    forth to my bank safety deposit box. I thought people were
    saying they wanted to burn DVDs to prevent Murphy from making
    it imppossible to get to their HD image at all.

    I understand that DVD-RW can be written to and re-written
    until it fails. It is the "until it fails" part that gives me
    the heartache. I won't know when that happens until it is too
    late, so I've long ago stopped using them.

    But, you've not quite answered my questions, which were
    "what's the difference between DVD-R and DVD+R" and "why do I
    need Roxio DirectCD and Roxio drag-to-disc to create a TI
    image set on optical?"

    Maybe I'm making too much of all this. I originally was 99
    44/100% comfortable with a simple HD or external HD solution.
    I'm only asking these questions because I finally figured out
    what the hubbub's about with TI's only real limitation - it
    can't create an image directly to DVD without some compromises
    that people don't like.

    Please clarify, I'd appreciate it. Meanwhile, I'm going to
    Acronis' web site right now, buying the product, and paying
    extra for a backup CD.

    Thanks

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry
    All Things Mopar, Feb 18, 2006
  4. All Things Mopar

    > Today old jon commented courteously on the subject at hand
    >
    >>>I decided to buy Acronis 9.0 True image based on
    >>>endorsements I've read here.
    >>>

    >> Big Snip. Read the OP.

    snip again

    > By "TI 8" do you mean Acronis True Image 8? If yes, how does
    > that help me?

    I`m an OAP and can`t afford TI 9. TI 8 is TI 9s forebear. <g>.

    >> In the event of your system `falling over`, you boot with
    >> the CD. You get the Acronis screen up, with Options on.
    >> Just click on Restore image and away you go.
    >> Tell it where the image is and have a quick cup of tea <g>.
    >>
    >> *I`d advise creating the image in the first place, to your
    >> Ext drive.*

    > OK. I'm assuming that I can similarly use the True Image 9 CD
    > the same way. Where does the TI CD come from? Acronis only
    > sells a downloadable version, but will send a backup CD for
    > another $12.99.
    >
    > Or, do you mean that the install program prompts me to let it
    > create a bootable launch CD, or maybe I can build a bootable
    > CD of the TI loader during or after I've created an image.

    TI 8 lets you create a bootable CD, that you use to recover your
    image.

    >> Then copy that image to DVD for extra safe keeping.
    >> As far as the type of DVD you use.
    >> Remember DVD+R are a Use Once solution. (Gets a bit
    >> expensive !) Whereas DVD-RW can be used several\many times,
    >> by simply erasing them, ready for re-use.
    >> DVD-RW are like great big floppy disks, so you have to
    >> format them, before use. You`d format a few, whilst there`s
    >> nothing much else going on with your system. (You can
    >> `quick format` them). Come back for more if you want to.

    > My original intent was to simply create the image on my HD,
    > then migrate them periodically to two external I move back and
    > forth to my bank safety deposit box. I thought people were
    > saying they wanted to burn DVDs to prevent Murphy from making
    > it imppossible to get to their HD image at all.

    The DVDc you create for Extra safety.

    > I understand that DVD-RW can be written to and re-written
    > until it fails. It is the "until it fails" part that gives me
    > the heartache. I won't know when that happens until it is too
    > late, so I've long ago stopped using them.

    Sadly all things computer are fallible.

    > But, you've not quite answered my questions, which were
    > "what's the difference between DVD-R and DVD+R" and "why do I
    > need Roxio DirectCD and Roxio drag-to-disc to create a TI
    > image set on optical?"

    DVD-R were compatible with older DVD players
    I believe there is a slight file system config dfference
    between -R and +R.

    > Maybe I'm making too much of all this. I originally was 99
    > 44/100% comfortable with a simple HD or external HD solution.
    > I'm only asking these questions because I finally figured out
    > what the hubbub's about with TI's only real limitation - it
    > can't create an image directly to DVD without some compromises
    > that people don't like.

    As I said, backup to hard drive. It`s what I do about once a week.
    Having to backup to Hard drive and then copy to DVD,
    is a bit more work. But worth the extra security.

    --
    bw..OJ
    old jon, Feb 18, 2006
  5. All Things Mopar

    Spuds Guest

    On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 07:39:41 -0600, All Things Mopar <>
    wrote:

> [...]

    >until it fails. It is the "until it fails" part that gives me
    >the heartache. I won't know when that happens until it is too
    >late, so I've long ago stopped using them.
    >
    >But, you've not quite answered my questions, which were
    >"what's the difference between DVD-R and DVD+R" and "why do I
    >need Roxio DirectCD and Roxio drag-to-disc to create a TI
    >image set on optical?"
    >
    >Maybe I'm making too much of all this. I originally was 99
    >44/100% comfortable with a simple HD or external HD solution.
    >I'm only asking these questions because I finally figured out
    >what the hubbub's about with TI's only real limitation - it
    >can't create an image directly to DVD without some compromises
    >that people don't like.
    >
    >Please clarify, I'd appreciate it. Meanwhile, I'm going to
    >Acronis' web site right now, buying the product, and paying

    I'm not sure why you would pay extra for a backup. Since you're paying for
    the download, why wouldn't you make your own backup?

    As old jon pointed out, you can make your own boot CD with TI. If you suffer
    a catastrophic failure, you just boot the TI disk and restore from your DVD
    backups. If you only have one optical drive, the TI program loads into
    memory, and when ready to insert your backups, you can remove the TI disk and
    proceed.
    Spuds, Feb 18, 2006
  6. All Things Mopar

    Spuds Guest

    On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 14:28:12 GMT, "old jon" <>
    wrote:

    >"All Things Mopar" <> wrote in message
    >> Today old jon commented courteously on the subject at hand

    >>> Big Snip. Read the OP.
    >>>>

    >snip again
    >>
    >> By "TI 8" do you mean Acronis True Image 8? If yes, how does
    >> that help me?
    >>

    >I`m an OAP and can`t afford TI 9. TI 8 is TI 9s forebear. <g>.

    And based on the differences between 8 and 9, it doesn't seem to be worth the
    upgrade price. If they come through with direct-to-DVDR burning in the next
    version, I'll be in line. <g>
    Spuds, Feb 18, 2006
  7. Today old jon commented courteously on the subject at hand

    >> By "TI 8" do you mean Acronis True Image 8? If yes, how
    >> does that help me?
    >>

    > I`m an OAP and can`t afford TI 9. TI 8 is TI 9s forebear.
    > <g>.

    I meant no insult. I can envision that 8 is an earlier version
    of 8, I just don't see how an 8 solution applies to me. BTW,
    what does "OAP" mean?

    > TI 8 lets you create a bootable CD, that you use to recover
    > your image.

    I've got other things to do today, so I'll see later how 9
    does. If it is a real upgrade, I'll be able to do what you're
    doing. On the other hand, if it is what Roxio did from 7 to 8,
    I'm screwed with no real recourse other than to get them to
    refund my money. But, since I have confidence in people's
    opinion and the company, I'm sure I'll be OK..

    >> But, you've not quite answered my questions, which were
    >> "what's the difference between DVD-R and DVD+R" and "why
    >> do I need Roxio DirectCD and Roxio drag-to-disc to create
    >> a TI image set on optical?"
    >>

    > DVD-R were compatible with older DVD players
    > I believe there is a slight file system config dfference
    > between -R and +R.

    OK. Does TI actually fail with an ordinary DVD-R or does it
    just work more reliabely with DVD+R? And, how do you buy them?
    I don't recall seeing spindles of +R discs on store shelves
    lately.

    > As I said, backup to hard drive. It`s what I do about once
    > a week. Having to backup to Hard drive and then copy to
    > DVD, is a bit more work. But worth the extra security.

    That was my original plan. I doubt I'll back up as often as
    you do, but I might before attempting to do something
    potentionally dangerous. Being a an admirer of how well Murphy
    can veil his attacks, I'll set a RP before letting TI9
    install, whether it does one or not, as well as back up my key
    settings with the File and Settings Transfer Wizard. But, God
    forbid, if TI9 goes bump in the night, by definition I am
    hosed.

    If anything weird happens, after I calm down, I'll ask for
    assistance. But, I do think everything will be OK.

    Thanks for your help, old jon

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry
    All Things Mopar, Feb 18, 2006
  8. Today Spuds commented courteously on the subject at hand

    >>I`m an OAP and can`t afford TI 9. TI 8 is TI 9s forebear.
    >><g>.

    > And based on the differences between 8 and 9, it doesn't
    > seem to be worth the upgrade price. If they come through
    > with direct-to-DVDR burning in the next version, I'll be in
    > line. <g>

    Spuds, that's why I won't upgrade to PSP X. Not enough new,
    and they wrecked the program attempting to seek the PSE 4
    market. I can get back to where 9 is mostly, with the few new
    features intact, but I've got to find my fav toys in the
    "unused commands" dust bin and spend hours beating it back
    into submission.

    Anytime one comes in late to an app, as I did here and with
    Roxio 8, you risk buying into a new, non-improved, buggy first
    release. Developers are ever shortening their release cycles
    chasing upgrade fees and trying to attrack new buyers with
    some whiz bang glitz. But, absent finding TI8 on a store shelf
    or at an on-line store somewhere, I didn't have much choice.

    I get quite focused and excessively detail oriented when I'm
    on a quest for knowledge about something new. So, I think I've
    lost the big picture in my obsession to qualify the DVD thingy
    on a program that only costs $50 in the first place (although,
    I also "wasted" another $13 on a backup CD in case anything is
    corrupt in the download and I can't for any reason do a new
    download).

    Since first seeing the movie "Killer Elite" with James Caan
    and Robert Duvall in 1975, I have adopted the casual mention
    Duvall makes - "I failed because I didn't heed the 6 P
    Principle - Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance". I
    used that for most of my career, I just cut it to "5 P" for
    obvious reasons.

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry
    All Things Mopar, Feb 18, 2006
  9. Today Spuds commented courteously on the subject at hand

    >>Please clarify, I'd appreciate it. Meanwhile, I'm going to
    >>Acronis' web site right now, buying the product, and paying
    >> extra for a backup CD.

    > I'm not sure why you would pay extra for a backup. Since
    > you're paying for the download, why wouldn't you make your
    > own backup?
    >
    > As old jon pointed out, you can make your own boot CD with
    > TI. If you suffer a catastrophic failure, you just boot
    > the TI disk and restore from your DVD backups. If you only
    > have one optical drive, the TI program loads into memory,
    > and when ready to insert your backups, you can remove the
    > TI disk and proceed.

    See my just previous reply, Spuds. $13 is a small price for me
    to pay, even on a never-increasing pension, to avoid the
    frustration and hassle if my download is even 0.00001% corrupt
    and I can't do another download without effort with Acronis
    tech support.

    When I download anything, I first give it a longer file name
    more illustrative to its name and purpose, and immediately
    copy it to my work-in-progress Maxtor external. About once
    every month or two, I run a CD or DVD of my entire
    "downloads" folder. And, just last week, I started on my 2-
    external "grandfathering" backup strategy.

    I dumped everything I want to preserve on all 3 of my PCs to a
    250 gig external, verified it, and hauled the thing to my bank
    10" x 22" x 3" safety deposit box. I bought a new, larger one
    for just $66 a year that'll hold two externals and probably
    30-50 CD/DVD discs if I use paper sleeves or those slim-line
    jewel cases, and still have room for my "important papers." My
    plan is to dump all 3 systems to the 2nd new external, this
    time using TI for Windoze and my apps, take it to the bank and
    leave it, take #1 back, format it, and get ready for next
    month.

    This scheme has cost me only $450 and eliminates the haunted
    feeling I've had for a long time of what would happen in the
    event of a break-in, tornado or fire in my home. All my PCs
    and optical media would melt or just be stolen, right? So,
    along with cycling externals to the safety deposit box, I'll
    also store the most important install CDs, particularly key
    apps and Windoze CDs. In most cases, I can get a replacement,
    but some proggies are out-of-production and/or the developer
    is literally gone. At worst, I'd be out-of-business for only a
    couple days.

    But, being careful can go overboard. What happens if a semi
    truck full of gasoline crashes into the bank and destroys the
    safety deposit boxes, then incinerates what's left? And, as
    the saying goes, "just because everyone is out to get me is no
    reason to be paranoid!"

    Cheers!

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry
    All Things Mopar, Feb 18, 2006
  10. All Things Mopar

    > Today old jon commented courteously on the subject at hand
    >
    >>> By "TI 8" do you mean Acronis True Image 8? If yes, how
    >>> does that help me?
    >>>

    >> I`m an OAP and can`t afford TI 9. TI 8 is TI 9s forebear.
    >> <g>.

    > I meant no insult. I can envision that 8 is an earlier version
    > of 8, I just don't see how an 8 solution applies to me. BTW,
    > what does "OAP" mean?

    An OAP is the older designation for `Senior Citizen` .
    ie: Old Age Pensioner.

    >> TI 8 lets you create a bootable CD, that you use to recover
    >> your image.

    > I've got other things to do today, so I'll see later how 9
    > does. If it is a real upgrade, I'll be able to do what you're
    > doing. On the other hand, if it is what Roxio did from 7 to 8,
    > I'm screwed with no real recourse other than to get them to
    > refund my money. But, since I have confidence in people's
    > opinion and the company, I'm sure I'll be OK..

    You`ll be fine. Spend a bit of time reading the Acronis Help Files.
    Make sure you ubderstand them !.
    If you get stuck just shout.

    > Thanks for your help, old jon

    A pleasure to try to help. Good luck.
    old jon, Feb 18, 2006
  11. All Things Mopar

    Spuds Guest

    On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 10:22:08 -0600, All Things Mopar <>
    wrote:

    >Spuds, that's why I won't upgrade to PSP X. Not enough new,
    >and they wrecked the program attempting to seek the PSE 4
    >market. I can get back to where 9 is mostly, with the few new
    >features intact, but I've got to find my fav toys in the
    >"unused commands" dust bin and spend hours beating it back
    >into submission.

    Yep, it's a truism that software is upgraded more frequently than it's really
    needed. While we get new features, often this "chrome" comes at a price, in
    both reliability and size. Of course, the most sterling example of this is
    Symantec. Virtually every app they've bought out has become bloated beyond
    belief. Apps like Ghost, WinFAX, and Norton Utilities, once trim, are now
    porcine slugs. Even their flagship app, Norton Antivirus, is universally
    loathed in alt.comp.anti-virus.
    And I don't think it's mere coincidence that PSP has become victim of creeping
    featureitis, given they've been purchased by Corel.

    >Anytime one comes in late to an app, as I did here and with
    >Roxio 8, you risk buying into a new, non-improved, buggy first
    >release. Developers are ever shortening their release cycles
    >chasing upgrade fees and trying to attrack new buyers with
    >some whiz bang glitz. But, absent finding TI8 on a store shelf
    >or at an on-line store somewhere, I didn't have much choice.

    Forgot to mention, but I saved ten bucks buying mine from an in dependant
    online software retailer. Although I paid them directly, they were merely
    brokers, and the download link and registration came right from Acronis.

    On the bright side, if they don't bump up prices in the next release, you'll
    be able to upgrade to the next release of TrueImage for $29.95 USD.
    Spuds, Feb 18, 2006
  12. All Things Mopar

    Spuds Guest

    On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 16:35:32 GMT, "old jon" <>
    wrote:

    >"All Things Mopar" <> wrote in message

    >> I meant no insult. I can envision that 8 is an earlier version
    >> of 8, I just don't see how an 8 solution applies to me. BTW,
    >> what does "OAP" mean?
    >>>

    >An OAP is the older designation for `Senior Citizen` .
    >ie: Old Age Pensioner.

    Or in my case, Older And Paunchier. =:cool:
    Spuds, Feb 18, 2006
  13. Today old jon commented courteously on the subject at hand

    > You`ll be fine. Spend a bit of time reading the Acronis
    > Help Files. Make sure you ubderstand them !.
    > If you get stuck just shout.

    Thanks again.

    All Things Mopar, Feb 18, 2006
  14. All Things Mopar

    Bill Guest

    On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 07:39:41 -0600, All Things Mopar wrote:

    <snip>

    >> In the event of your system `falling over`, you boot with
    >> the CD. You get the Acronis screen up, with Options on.
    >> Just click on Restore image and away you go.
    >> Tell it where the image is and have a quick cup of tea <g>.
    >>
    >> *I`d advise creating the image in the first place, to your
    >> Ext drive.*

    > OK. I'm assuming that I can similarly use the True Image 9 CD
    > the same way. Where does the TI CD come from? Acronis only
    > sells a downloadable version, but will send a backup CD for
    > another $12.99.

    At any point after installation of Acronis True Image, you can "create
    bootable media". In your case, you could do this to make a bootable CD that
    will load a version of TI outside of windows and allow you to restore an
    image from a HD partition or exteranl HD. And, probably CD/DVD - I'm not
    sure.

    I guess this would be analogous to the boot floppys that you can make with
    Ghost.

    Not to muddy the waters but, since you paid for TI9, Acronis will (if you
    ask) allow you to d/l a "PE" version of TI8. It's actually a "plugin" for
    a BartPE CD that Acronis made available. You could than use BartPE and
    UBCD4Win (Ultimate Boot CD 4 Windows) to create a "live" boot CD with a lot
    of really good troubleshooting and restoration tools. You'll need access to
    WinXP SP2. BTW, TI8 can restore an image made with TI9. See here for more
    info:

    http://www.ubcd4win.com/

    How to build
    http://www.ubcd4win.com/howto.htm

    Easy way to build
    http://www.ubcd4win.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3098

    Info on Acronis PE plugin
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/bartpe/

    Bill
    Bill, Feb 19, 2006
  15. Today Bill commented courteously on the subject at hand

    > At any point after installation of Acronis True Image, you
    > can "create bootable media". In your case, you could do
    > this to make a bootable CD that will load a version of TI
    > outside of windows and allow you to restore an image from a
    > HD partition or exteranl HD. And, probably CD/DVD - I'm not
    > sure.
    >
    > I guess this would be analogous to the boot floppys that
    > you can make with Ghost.

    I guess it would help if I got off my duff and installed the
    software, huh? <grin> But, being the anally retentive careful
    guy I've become since SP2, I wanted a head's up /before/ I
    installed TI to help me watch for the important stuff.

    I'm quite confident that TI9 will work well for me, and the
    developer of the 9th version of such an important utility
    would surely have long ago provide a bootable way to get to
    your image backups. Thanks for easing my mind.

    > Not to muddy the waters but, since you paid for TI9,
    > Acronis will (if you ask) allow you to d/l a "PE" version
    > of TI8. It's actually a "plugin" for a BartPE CD that
    > Acronis made available. You could than use BartPE and
    > UBCD4Win (Ultimate Boot CD 4 Windows) to create a "live"
    > boot CD with a lot of really good troubleshooting and
    > restoration tools. You'll need access to WinXP SP2. BTW,
    > TI8 can restore an image made with TI9. See here for more
    > info:

    Hmmm. Didn't see that on the web site today. I'll check out
    the links you provided below. Thank you, Bill. This has /got/
    to be the first time I've /ever/ heard of a developer allowing
    you to download an earlier version. Often, but not always,
    that's how they get around "there's a bug in XXX" by saying
    "upgrade to YYY."

    All Things Mopar, Feb 19, 2006