Acronis True image 9.0 or Norton Ghost 10.0 ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John Jay Smith, Feb 14, 2006.

  1. John Jay Smith, Feb 14, 2006

  2. John Jay Smith

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 14:38:27 +0200, John Jay Smith wrote:

    > I have not used these 2.. I used to like powerquests drive image 7.0, but
    > it does not support disks larger than 137 gb
    >
    > So which is better of the 2, or is there another program that I am not
    > aware of that
    > is better than the ones on the subject line?

    I've had great success with Ghost.
    Meat Plow, Feb 14, 2006

  3. John Jay Smith

    EricP Guest

    On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 14:38:27 +0200, "John Jay Smith" <-> wrote:

    >I have not used these 2.. I used to like powerquests drive image 7.0, but it
    >does not support disks larger than 137 gb
    >
    >So which is better of the 2, or is there another program that I am not aware
    >of that
    >is better than the ones on the subject line?
    >
    >http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/products/backup_recovery/ghost10/features.html
    >
    >http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/features-imaging.html
    >
    >Thanks

    Only Acronis for me. A superb product.
    But DI has a lot going for it from user comments.

    Try both, you will see what meets your exact needs
    EricP, Feb 14, 2006
  4. John Jay Smith

    Spuds Guest

    On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 14:38:27 +0200, "John Jay Smith" <-> wrote:

    >I have not used these 2.. I used to like powerquests drive image 7.0, but it
    >does not support disks larger than 137 gb
    >
    >So which is better of the 2, or is there another program that I am not aware
    >of that
    >is better than the ones on the subject line?
    >
    >http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/products/backup_recovery/ghost10/features.html
    >
    >http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/features-imaging.html
    >
    >Thanks

    Was a Ghost user for years. Tried version 9 and found it a bloated POS, like
    all other Symantec apps have become. Backup filesize had gotten bigger than
    v8 as well.
    Bought Acronis TrueImage and couldn't be happier. The only minor beef I have
    with it is that it will not directly backup to DVD. Simple workaround is just
    burn the image after it's been made. I suspect this ability will be added
    soon.
    Spuds, Feb 14, 2006
  5. John Jay Smith

    gangle Guest

    "John Jay Smith"
    > I have not used these 2.. I used to like powerquests drive image 7.0, but it
    > does not support disks larger than 137 gb
    >
    > So which is better of the 2, or is there another program that I am not aware
    > of that
    > is better than the ones on the subject line?
    >
    > http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/products/backup_recovery/ghost10/features.html
    >
    > http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/features-imaging.html

    I have no experience with Ghost, but I can tell you that Acronis
    has worked flawlessly for me.
    gangle, Feb 14, 2006
  6. John Jay Smith

    Tim Guest

    Terabyte Image For Windows http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/imagew.html

    --
    Tim
    Tim, Feb 14, 2006
  7. John Jay Smith

    olfart Guest

    "John Jay Smith" <-> wrote in message news:-privat.org...
    >I have not used these 2.. I used to like powerquests drive image 7.0, but
    >it
    > does not support disks larger than 137 gb
    >
    > So which is better of the 2, or is there another program that I am not
    > aware of that
    > is better than the ones on the subject line?
    >
    > http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/products/backup_recovery/ghost10/features.html
    >
    > http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/features-imaging.html
    >
    > Thanks

    Have not tried either one.....CasperXP works for me.
    olfart, Feb 14, 2006
  8. John Jay Smith

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 14:38:27 +0200, John Jay Smith wrote:

    >I have not used these 2.. I used to like powerquests drive image 7.0, but it
    >does not support disks larger than 137 gb
    >
    >So which is better of the 2, or is there another program that I am not aware
    >of that
    >is better than the ones on the subject line?

    <snip>

    >Thanks

    Acronis has had some very good reviews in UK computer press. It does
    both images and is a backup app as well.

    Me
    why?, Feb 14, 2006
  9. John Jay Smith

    fkasner Guest

    Spuds wrote:
    > On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 14:38:27 +0200, "John Jay Smith" <-> wrote:
    >

    >>I have not used these 2.. I used to like powerquests drive image 7.0, but it
    >>does not support disks larger than 137 gb
    >>
    >>So which is better of the 2, or is there another program that I am not aware
    >>of that
    >>is better than the ones on the subject line?
    >>
    >>http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/products/backup_recovery/ghost10/features.html
    >>
    >>http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/features-imaging.html
    >>
    >>Thanks

    > Was a Ghost user for years. Tried version 9 and found it a bloated POS, like
    > all other Symantec apps have become. Backup filesize had gotten bigger than
    > v8 as well.
    > Bought Acronis TrueImage and couldn't be happier. The only minor beef I have
    > with it is that it will not directly backup to DVD. Simple workaround is just
    > burn the image after it's been made. I suspect this ability will be added
    > soon.

    That's odd. I've used TrueImage 8.0 for some time now and I have
    regularly used DVD disks in a DVD writer to back up my 160 GB HD. Now
    that is just a fall back method because I purchased a few months ago a
    160 GB external HD and reformated it and ignored the included software
    for backup and used it to backup the internal HD with Acronis True Image
    8.0. However HDs are delicate and so I also occasionally backup to the
    DVD disks. Now work around needed just have it choose the second DVD
    drive (the writer/reader not the first one which is only reader) and off
    it goes. Backs up an image of the 160 GB HD in about 45 minutes. Sweet
    compared to the days when I used 360 KB floppies to backup a 10 MB HD.
    or used a tape to bu the HD.
    FK
    fkasner, Feb 14, 2006
  10. John Jay Smith

    Spuds Guest

    On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 21:49:58 GMT, fkasner <> wrote:

    >Spuds wrote:
    >> On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 14:38:27 +0200, "John Jay Smith" <-> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have not used these 2.. I used to like powerquests drive image 7.0, but it
    >>>does not support disks larger than 137 gb
    >>>
    >>>So which is better of the 2, or is there another program that I am not aware
    >>>of that
    >>>is better than the ones on the subject line?
    >>>
    >>>http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/products/backup_recovery/ghost10/features.html
    >>>
    >>>http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/features-imaging.html
    >>>
    >>>Thanks

    >> Was a Ghost user for years. Tried version 9 and found it a bloated POS, like
    >> all other Symantec apps have become. Backup filesize had gotten bigger than
    >> v8 as well.
    >> Bought Acronis TrueImage and couldn't be happier. The only minor beef I have
    >> with it is that it will not directly backup to DVD. Simple workaround is just
    >> burn the image after it's been made. I suspect this ability will be added
    >> soon.

    >That's odd. I've used TrueImage 8.0 for some time now and I have
    >regularly used DVD disks in a DVD writer to back up my 160 GB HD. Now
    >that is just a fall back method because I purchased a few months ago a
    >160 GB external HD and reformated it and ignored the included software
    >for backup and used it to backup the internal HD with Acronis True Image
    >8.0. However HDs are delicate and so I also occasionally backup to the
    >DVD disks. Now work around needed just have it choose the second DVD
    >drive (the writer/reader not the first one which is only reader) and off
    >it goes. Backs up an image of the 160 GB HD in about 45 minutes. Sweet
    >compared to the days when I used 360 KB floppies to backup a 10 MB HD.
    >or used a tape to bu the HD.

    If you are using TrueImage 8, or 9 for that matter, to backup to DVD, the only
    way you can do it is via packet writing. If you put a blank DVD+/-R in the
    drive and attempt to write an image to it, it will eject and ask you to insert
    a CD. If you want to burn without packet writing, you have to write the image
    to HD, then use disk burning software to transfer to DVD

    Here's the dirt directly from Acronis:

    Q: How can I use Acronis True Image 9.0 to write images directly to DVD discs?

    A: Acronis True Image 9.0 is capable of writing to a DVD disc in Windows if
    UDF packet DVD-writing software is installed and the DVD disc is formatted. If
    a DVD disc is not formatted, Acronis True Image 9.0 will ask you to format it.

    You need a Drive Letter Access (DLA) UDF packet writing driver so that you can
    format the DVD and the computer can see the disc. Acronis True Image 9.0
    currently supports the following DVD-writing software:

    * Roxio Drag-To-Disc — a part of Roxio Easy Media Creator
    * Ahead InCD — available for free on the Nero site for Ahead Nero users
    (and usually is shipped with Nero)

    In general, Acronis True Image 9.0 also supports other UDF packet DVD-writing
    software, but the two above are the most popular and they have been tested and
    approved by Acronis.

    To make a DVD disc writeable in Acronis True Image 9.0, you should do the
    following:

    1. Install UDF packet DVD-writing software.
    2. Format the DVD discs.
    3. Start Acronis True Image 9.0, insert the formatted DVD disc into the DVD
    burner and create an image.
    4. The images from the DVD disc can be restored both in Windows and by
    means of the standalone version of Acronis True Image 9.0.

    There is also a two-step method for writing to DVDs. Acronis True Image 9.0
    can create an image of a hard disk/partition as a single file on the hard disk
    itself, and then you can copy the file using your own DVD-writing software to
    the DVD disc. We recommend you to set the image archive splitting size to
    2,000 MBytes (2 GBytes) on the "Image Archive Splitting" screen, as the
    maximum size of a file stored on a DVD disc is generally 2 GBytes.
    Spuds, Feb 15, 2006
  11. I have not found a setting for 2 GB,
    it goes from 700 MB to
    4.5 GB

    John Jay Smith, Feb 15, 2006
  12. Oh you have to type in the value manualy...

    Acronis is the one.. downloaded the trial and it ROCKS!!!

    John Jay Smith, Feb 15, 2006
  13. John Jay Smith

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, John Jay Smith mused:

    | I have not used these 2.. I used to like powerquests drive image 7.0,
    | but it does not support disks larger than 137 gb
    |
    | So which is better of the 2, or is there another program that I am
    | not aware of that
    | is better than the ones on the subject line?

    http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/products/backup_recovery/ghost10/features.html

    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/features-imaging.html

    | Thanks

    True Image!!!
    mhicaoidh, Feb 15, 2006
  14. Today John Jay Smith commented courteously on the subject at
    hand

    > Oh you have to type in the value manualy...
    >
    > Acronis is the one.. downloaded the trial and it ROCKS!!!

    I didn't previously see this thread, but I got a rousing
    recommendation on the commercial version of Acronis earlier
    today in answer to my own similar question (although mine was
    more general, I just want an image backup utility, I'm not tied
    to any developer).

    I need to reload the old headers for this NG and look at the
    entire thread.

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry
    All Things Mopar, Feb 15, 2006
  15. Today Spuds commented courteously on the subject at hand

    > Was a Ghost user for years. Tried version 9 and found it a
    > bloated POS, like all other Symantec apps have become.
    > Backup filesize had gotten bigger than v8 as well.
    > Bought Acronis TrueImage and couldn't be happier. The only
    > minor beef I have with it is that it will not directly
    > backup to DVD. Simple workaround is just burn the image
    > after it's been made. I suspect this ability will be added
    > soon.

    Wouldn't burning directly to DVD result in a spanned multi-disc
    burn for anything more than a trivial backup? Besides, wouldn't
    you prefer to verify for yourself that the image was created
    without error as quickly as possible, without wasting both time
    and money on 1, 2, 3...discs?

    Not disputing, just asking. Thanks.

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry
    All Things Mopar, Feb 15, 2006
  16. Today fkasner commented courteously on the subject at hand

    > Spuds wrote:
    >> On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 14:38:27 +0200, "John Jay Smith" <->
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have not used these 2.. I used to like powerquests drive
    >>>image 7.0, but it does not support disks larger than 137
    >>>gb
    >>>
    >>>So which is better of the 2, or is there another program
    >>>that I am not aware of that
    >>>is better than the ones on the subject line?
    >>>
    >>>http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/products/backup_rec
    >>>overy/ghost10/features.html
    >>>
    >>>http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/fea
    >>>tures-imaging.html
    >>>
    >>>Thanks

    >> Was a Ghost user for years. Tried version 9 and found it
    >> a bloated POS, like all other Symantec apps have become.
    >> Backup filesize had gotten bigger than v8 as well.
    >> Bought Acronis TrueImage and couldn't be happier. The
    >> only minor beef I have with it is that it will not
    >> directly backup to DVD. Simple workaround is just burn
    >> the image after it's been made. I suspect this ability
    >> will be added soon.

    > That's odd. I've used TrueImage 8.0 for some time now and I
    > have regularly used DVD disks in a DVD writer to back up my
    > 160 GB HD. Now that is just a fall back method because I
    > purchased a few months ago a 160 GB external HD and
    > reformated it and ignored the included software for backup
    > and used it to backup the internal HD with Acronis True
    > Image 8.0. However HDs are delicate and so I also
    > occasionally backup to the DVD disks. Now work around
    > needed just have it choose the second DVD drive (the
    > writer/reader not the first one which is only reader) and
    > off it goes. Backs up an image of the 160 GB HD in about 45
    > minutes. Sweet compared to the days when I used 360 KB
    > floppies to backup a 10 MB HD. or used a tape to bu the HD.
    > FK

    I can appreciate the 45 minute time, but wouldn't that be on
    the order of 25-30 DVDs? How did your automated system swap
    the discs in and out, whilst labeling them as you go? As with
    my other reply, not disputing, just asking.

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry
    All Things Mopar, Feb 15, 2006
  17. Today Spuds commented courteously on the subject at hand

    > If you are using TrueImage 8, or 9 for that matter, to
    > backup to DVD, the only way you can do it is via packet
    > writing. If you put a blank DVD+/-R in the drive and
    > attempt to write an image to it, it will eject and ask you
    > to insert a CD. If you want to burn without packet
    > writing, you have to write the image to HD, then use disk
    > burning software to transfer to DVD
    >
    > Here's the dirt directly from Acronis:
    >
    > Q: How can I use Acronis True Image 9.0 to write images
    > directly to DVD discs?
    >
    > A: Acronis True Image 9.0 is capable of writing to a DVD
    > disc in Windows if UDF packet DVD-writing software is
    > installed and the DVD disc is formatted. If a DVD disc is
    > not formatted, Acronis True Image 9.0 will ask you to
    > format it.
    >
    > You need a Drive Letter Access (DLA) UDF packet writing
    > driver so that you can format the DVD and the computer can
    > see the disc. Acronis True Image 9.0 currently supports the
    > following DVD-writing software:
    >
    > * Roxio Drag-To-Disc — a part of Roxio Easy Media
    > Creator * Ahead InCD — available for free on the Nero
    > site for Ahead Nero users
    > (and usually is shipped with Nero)
    >
    > In general, Acronis True Image 9.0 also supports other UDF
    > packet DVD-writing software, but the two above are the most
    > popular and they have been tested and approved by Acronis.
    >
    > To make a DVD disc writeable in Acronis True Image 9.0, you
    > should do the following:
    >
    > 1. Install UDF packet DVD-writing software.
    > 2. Format the DVD discs.
    > 3. Start Acronis True Image 9.0, insert the formatted
    > DVD disc into the DVD
    > burner and create an image.
    > 4. The images from the DVD disc can be restored both in
    > Windows and by
    > means of the standalone version of Acronis True Image 9.0.
    >
    > There is also a two-step method for writing to DVDs.
    > Acronis True Image 9.0 can create an image of a hard
    > disk/partition as a single file on the hard disk itself,
    > and then you can copy the file using your own DVD-writing
    > software to the DVD disc. We recommend you to set the image
    > archive splitting size to 2,000 MBytes (2 GBytes) on the
    > "Image Archive Splitting" screen, as the maximum size of a
    > file stored on a DVD disc is generally 2 GBytes.

    Good info, thank you. I still don't understand the desire to
    go straight to DVD, as the number of discs would be numerous
    for me, but I'm still trying to even understand the technology
    of image backups.

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry
    All Things Mopar, Feb 15, 2006
  18. Today All Things Mopar commented courteously on the subject
    at hand

    Please forgive my bad, I misread your comment as "Acronis
    /sucks/" somehow.

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry
    All Things Mopar, Feb 15, 2006
  19. John Jay Smith

    Spuds Guest

    On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 02:01:30 -0600, All Things Mopar <>
    wrote:

    >Today Spuds commented courteously on the subject at hand
    >
    >> If you are using TrueImage 8, or 9 for that matter, to
    >> backup to DVD, the only way you can do it is via packet
    >> writing. If you put a blank DVD+/-R in the drive and
    >> attempt to write an image to it, it will eject and ask you
    >> to insert a CD. If you want to burn without packet
    >> writing, you have to write the image to HD, then use disk
    >> burning software to transfer to DVD
    >>
    >> Here's the dirt directly from Acronis:
    >>
    >> Q: How can I use Acronis True Image 9.0 to write images
    >> directly to DVD discs?
    >>
    >> A: Acronis True Image 9.0 is capable of writing to a DVD
    >> disc in Windows if UDF packet DVD-writing software is
    >> installed and the DVD disc is formatted. If a DVD disc is
    >> not formatted, Acronis True Image 9.0 will ask you to
    >> format it.
    >>
    >> You need a Drive Letter Access (DLA) UDF packet writing
    >> driver so that you can format the DVD and the computer can
    >> see the disc. Acronis True Image 9.0 currently supports the
    >> following DVD-writing software:
    >>
    >> * Roxio Drag-To-Disc  a part of Roxio Easy Media
    >> Creator * Ahead InCD  available for free on the Nero
    >> site for Ahead Nero users
    >> (and usually is shipped with Nero)
    >>
    >> In general, Acronis True Image 9.0 also supports other UDF
    >> packet DVD-writing software, but the two above are the most
    >> popular and they have been tested and approved by Acronis.
    >>
    >> To make a DVD disc writeable in Acronis True Image 9.0, you
    >> should do the following:
    >>
    >> 1. Install UDF packet DVD-writing software.
    >> 2. Format the DVD discs.
    >> 3. Start Acronis True Image 9.0, insert the formatted
    >> DVD disc into the DVD
    >> burner and create an image.
    >> 4. The images from the DVD disc can be restored both in
    >> Windows and by
    >> means of the standalone version of Acronis True Image 9.0.
    >>
    >> There is also a two-step method for writing to DVDs.
    >> Acronis True Image 9.0 can create an image of a hard
    >> disk/partition as a single file on the hard disk itself,
    >> and then you can copy the file using your own DVD-writing
    >> software to the DVD disc. We recommend you to set the image
    >> archive splitting size to 2,000 MBytes (2 GBytes) on the
    >> "Image Archive Splitting" screen, as the maximum size of a
    >> file stored on a DVD disc is generally 2 GBytes.

    >Good info, thank you. I still don't understand the desire to
    >go straight to DVD, as the number of discs would be numerous
    >for me, but I'm still trying to even understand the technology
    >of image backups.

    Wow, you must have an awful lot of applications. You aren't keeping _data_ on
    your Windows partition, are you?
    Spuds, Feb 15, 2006
  20. Today Spuds commented courteously on the subject at hand

    >>Good info, thank you. I still don't understand the desire
    >>to go straight to DVD, as the number of discs would be
    >>numerous for me, but I'm still trying to even understand
    >>the technology of image backups.

    > Wow, you must have an awful lot of applications. You
    > aren't keeping _data_ on your Windows partition, are you?

    No way, Jose! <grin>

    I have an extended partition for all non-graphics data,
    primarily MP3s, and a partition for graphics-only data,
    primarily JPEGs. And, I have a work-in-progress external HD
    and two more externals that I'm just now setting up to do
    rotating monthly backups of all 3 of my PCs, and store the
    external in my bank's safety deposit box for insurance against
    a break-in, fire, tornado, anything that would cause me to
    lose everything.

    The only data that's on C:\ is what insistant apps need/want
    to put there, such as Turbo Tax. If it doesn't go under My
    Documents the dumb ass app can't find it. So, while there's
    little data and only a moderate number of apps on C:\ (and
    some RPs), I'm running at around 12 gig on a 45 gig primary
    partition, which would be 3 DVD-Rs.

    There's 50+ gig on each of my data partitions, but ordinary
    Windows copies and simple CD and DVD burns are enough to
    protect that, or so I've convinced myself. 50 gig would be
    over 10 discs. That's expensive, slow, and problematical. I do
    want to keep an open mind, so I'd value your opinion on using
    an image backup utility for simple data.

    I'm going to continue to lurk and investigate a good solution,
    but I'm pretty sure I do /not/ want Ghost or Go-Back. In
    various places, I see the usual comments. About half say it is
    great, while the other half are trying to find a way, any way
    to get rid of it. I don't know who's right, as it is PC and
    workflow specific, but I don't like beta testing on my Visa,
    nor risking a non-restore for any reason. Right now, Acronis
    looks very good to me.

    There's a trial of that, right? I'll look again and download
    it to a test drive.

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry
    All Things Mopar, Feb 15, 2006