    than, Norton Ghost?

    --
    Alasdair.
    Alasdair, Aug 6, 2010

  2. Alasdair

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 00:38:45 +0100, Alasdair wrote:

    > I used to use Norton Ghost to make clone copies of my hard drives for
    > backup purposes. However, PC World in the UK said Norton Ghost was very
    > old fashioned and sold me another product, Acronis True Image Home 2010
    > PC Backup and Recovery.
    >
    > Please, can anyone who has used the Acronis product found it
    > satisfactory for cloning hard drives and is it as good as, or better
    > than, Norton Ghost?

    Worked perfect for me several times.

    Meat Plow, Aug 6, 2010

  3. Alasdair

    thanatoid Guest

    Alasdair <> wrote in

    > I used to use Norton Ghost to make clone copies of my hard
    > drives for backup purposes. However, PC World in the UK
    > said Norton Ghost was very old fashioned and sold me
    > another product, Acronis True Image Home 2010 PC Backup and
    > Recovery.
    >
    > Please, can anyone who has used the Acronis product found
    > it satisfactory for cloning hard drives and is it as good
    > as, or better than, Norton Ghost?
    >
    > --
    > Alasdair.

    I use Acronis from 2003. It came free with a British computer
    magazine. It has never given me any trouble, and it is under
    10MB.

    I have read a lot of complaints about the recent versions - they
    are bloated like everything new, and unless you read the
    (presumably 250-page) manual, you may be in trouble.

    I don't think there is a lot of difference between the "current"
    version of Ghost and Acronis AFA functionality. I'm just glad I
    have the version I have.

    There are several similar /free/ utilities on:

    http://freeware.intrastar.net/

    In the sys tools section. The site looks like it was designed in
    1996, which it probably was, but it is up to date (/some/ lnks
    are dead, but there ARE new links from 2010) and it is one of
    the best freeware sites out there, IMO.

    --
    Any mental activity is easy if it need not be subjected to
    reality.
    thanatoid, Aug 6, 2010
  4. Alasdair

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news: Alasdair
    <> wrote:

    > Please, can anyone who has used the Acronis product found it
    > satisfactory for cloning hard drives and is it as good as, or better
    > than, Norton Ghost?

    I used the product Acronis sold before "True Image" came out to clone my
    laptop drive and it worked fine. On the other hand if you've used Ghost
    and were happy with it, there's no obvious reason to change.

    I'm currently using True Image 2009 on 2 PCs for nightly backups. I use
    their "image mode" backup which isn't a complete "clone" of the drive,
    resulting in a smaller backup file.

    If Acronis' earlier policy still holds, you can download their products
    and try them out for 30 days at no charge. The trial copies are
    completely functional.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
    Bert Hyman, Aug 6, 2010
  5. Alasdair

    chuckcar Guest

    Alasdair <> wrote in

    > I used to use Norton Ghost to make clone copies of my hard drives for
    > backup purposes. However, PC World in the UK said Norton Ghost was
    > very old fashioned and sold me another product, Acronis True Image
    > Home 2010 PC Backup and Recovery.
    >
    > Please, can anyone who has used the Acronis product found it
    > satisfactory for cloning hard drives and is it as good as, or better
    > than, Norton Ghost?

    Sounds to me like you need to tune out computer salesmen. The next time
    one comes up to you when your browsing and asks if you need help, look
    him/her straight in the eye and say "no". Do research into the features
    of the different software in the market you're planning on buying
    *before* you think of going to a store.

    A backup is a copy of the files you need to keep a copy of in case/when
    your hard drive dies. The operating system's backup is your installation
    CD. The same goes for any separate packages you may have. Making copies
    of *those* disks is prudent however. As for what remains, that's the
    files you've created and/or downloaded from somewhere. What's wrong with
    just dumping them to closed session CD's? You'll use less disks and
    won't be stuck if you change your computer hardware. XP/Vista/W7 won't
    boot if you do a restore of the old installation. In addition, you have
    no guarantee that the OS you backup is not corrupted. Corruption in MS
    consumer operating systems is never obvious.

    The other thing to remember is to write down *all* the settings for your
    email and internet programs. That includes but is not limited to the server
    names, ports, protocols user names and passwords.

    Keep any backups in a completely different room than the one the computer
    is in - in case of fire/flood/etc. And if possible at a different address.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Aug 6, 2010
  6. Alasdair

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 12:38:17 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

    >> I used to use Norton Ghost to make clone copies of my hard drives for
    >> backup purposes. However, PC World in the UK said Norton Ghost was
    >> very old fashioned and sold me another product, Acronis True Image Home
    >> 2010 PC Backup and Recovery.
    >>
    >> Please, can anyone who has used the Acronis product found it
    >> satisfactory for cloning hard drives and is it as good as, or better
    >> than, Norton Ghost?
    >>

    > Sounds to me like you need to tune out computer salesmen. The next time
    > one comes up to you when your browsing and asks if you need help, look
    > him/her straight in the eye and say "no".

    WTF??

    Meat Plow, Aug 6, 2010
  7. Alasdair

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 00:16:09 +0000, thanatoid wrote:

    > Alasdair <> wrote in
    >
    >> I used to use Norton Ghost to make clone copies of my hard drives for
    >> backup purposes. However, PC World in the UK said Norton Ghost was
    >> very old fashioned and sold me another product, Acronis True Image Home
    >> 2010 PC Backup and Recovery.
    >>
    >> Please, can anyone who has used the Acronis product found it
    >> satisfactory for cloning hard drives and is it as good as, or better
    >> than, Norton Ghost?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Alasdair.

    > I use Acronis from 2003. It came free with a British computer magazine.
    > It has never given me any trouble, and it is under 10MB.

    Acronis Migrate Easy (or Easy Migrate) is for cloning drives. I first
    used it in 2005. The thing about new versions is that they continue to
    support more and more hardware.

    Meat Plow, Aug 6, 2010
  8. chuckcar <> via

    > Sounds to me like you need to tune out computer salesmen.

    Yes, you should re-format your hearing aids using someone
    from one of those weekly yard-sales papers. If you have
    the brain implants, you can merely do that with a toaster.
    Google for "Hacking Toasters for Dummies"... get the
    'Cliff's Notes" version, becauze skool is fer retrads.

    HTH.

    --

    I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^;
    and on the 'AWESOMENESS METER',

    Please conserve the interwebs :

    http://preview.tinyurl.com/23hgep5

    http://tinyurl.com/23hgep5

    Bucky Breeder, Aug 6, 2010
  9. Alasdair

    freemont Guest

    On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 00:38:45 +0100, Alasdair writ:

    > I used to use Norton Ghost to make clone copies of my hard drives for
    > backup purposes. However, PC World in the UK said Norton Ghost was very
    > old fashioned and sold me another product, Acronis True Image Home 2010
    > PC Backup and Recovery.
    >
    > Please, can anyone who has used the Acronis product found it
    > satisfactory for cloning hard drives and is it as good as, or better
    > than, Norton Ghost?

    I don't see Clonezilla mentioned in any responses. I've used it for years
    to image multiple standalone computers and never had a problem with it.
    It doesn't do all the hand-holding that the commercial products do,
    though.

    http://clonezilla.org/
    --
    â‚ "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
    â‚ Beware the 24hoursupport tards:
    freemont, Aug 7, 2010
  10. Alasdair

    Lofty Guest

    Lofty, Aug 7, 2010
  11. Alasdair

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 06/08/2010 00:38, Alasdair wrote:
    > I used to use Norton Ghost to make clone copies of my hard drives for
    > backup purposes. However, PC World in the UK said Norton Ghost was
    > very old fashioned and sold me another product, Acronis True Image
    > Home 2010 PC Backup and Recovery.
    >
    > Please, can anyone who has used the Acronis product found it
    > satisfactory for cloning hard drives and is it as good as, or better
    > than, Norton Ghost?
    >
    > --
    > Alasdair.

    "Very old fashioned" ROFL! Good old PC World. They love people like you.

    Try this. http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/intro.htm

    A 250Kb program. Only 39 euros.
    Desk Rabbit, Aug 9, 2010