Acronis PartitionExpert good?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by SR, Nov 1, 2003.

  1. SR

    SR Guest

    Description (from Acronis web site):
    Acronis PartitionExpert is the only disk partitioning software that allows
    you to automatically or manually resize, copy, and move partitions without
    losing data...

    I have purchased a 180 GB HD (Hitachi/IBM Deskstar) and have problems to
    overcome the 137 GB limit in Windows XP.
    A newly purchased computer will be able to handle HDs as large as 180 GB.
    Anyway, since I am partitioning and formatting HDs very often, I wonder
    whether the software mentioned above can also do basic partitioning. The
    review talks about resizing, copying and moving only...
    Is anybody using this software, or is there any software that allows
    partitioning and formatting large HDs without a lot of pain?

    SR

    SR, Nov 1, 2003

  2. SR

    Shep© Guest

    On 1 Nov 2003 01:21:02 GMT, Knowing that it was a Hollywood invention
    that lemmings jump off cliffs "SR" <-net.ne.jp> wrote :

    >Description (from Acronis web site):
    >Acronis PartitionExpert is the only disk partitioning software that allows
    >you to automatically or manually resize, copy, and move partitions without
    >losing data...
    >

    >I have purchased a 180 GB HD (Hitachi/IBM Deskstar) and have problems to
    >overcome the 137 GB limit in Windows XP.

    There is no 137 gig partition limit in WinXP.This is a hardware
    limitation from your mother board/BIOS.Some mother board have a BIOS
    update that can address it or you can usually download a,"Free"
    DDO(Dynamic Disk Overlay) program from the drive maker's site to
    defeat it or the better option is to use a PCI add-on card as in,
    http://tinyurl.com/t7n4
    and more info here,
    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/hard.html
    HTH :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    email shepATpartyheld.de

    Shep©, Nov 1, 2003

  3. Yes there was a limit, until SP1 corrected that.....

    NewKillerStar, Nov 1, 2003
  4. SR

    Shep© Guest

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 20:38:11 -0500, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "NewKillerStar"
    <> wrote :

    >Yes there was a limit, until SP1 corrected that.....

    I stand corrected.

    Shep©, Nov 1, 2003
  5. SR

    EricP Guest

    On 1 Nov 2003 01:21:02 GMT, "SR" <-net.ne.jp> wrote:

    >Description (from Acronis web site):
    >Acronis PartitionExpert is the only disk partitioning software that allows
    >you to automatically or manually resize, copy, and move partitions without
    >losing data...

    Strange, I thought they all did that?

    I do not rate this program very highly. I have found Powerquest
    Partition Magic to be the best.

    On the other hand Acronis True Image is the best program of this type
    available.

    All this means is that I like what I like and another may feel
    completely differently. Try before you buy.

    EricP, Nov 1, 2003
  6. "Shep©" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 20:38:11 -0500, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    > invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "NewKillerStar"
    > <> wrote :
    >
    > >Yes there was a limit, until SP1 corrected that.....

    > I stand corrected.

    No problem ;-)

    NewKillerStar, Nov 1, 2003
  7. SR

    SR Guest

    > >Description (from Acronis web site):
    > >Acronis PartitionExpert is the only disk partitioning software that

    allows
    > >you to automatically or manually resize, copy, and move partitions

    without
    > >losing data...
    > >

    > Strange, I thought they all did that?

    Some, but not all...

    > I do not rate this program very highly. I have found Powerquest
    > Partition Magic to be the best.

    I have read that version 8.0 it can't handle HDs larger than 160 GM. Acronis
    PartitionExpert can handle 180 GB (according to several internet
    references).

    > On the other hand Acronis True Image is the best program of this type
    > available.

    For partitioning a brand-new HD??? I can transfer entire partitions
    including data onto another HD as I know. I also use an external storage
    enclosure (IDE to USB2.0). This might cause another problem since some
    people have told me that they might not be able to handle over 130 GB...
    Gee, these HD manufacturers should either provide a software which enables
    one to install such HDs, or mention BIG to go for a smaller model if the
    conditions are not met. I bought mine since the price difference was just 30
    US$ compared to the 120 GB model.
    Well, in the worst case I need to settle for 120 to 130 GB... GRRRRR!:)

    > All this means is that I like what I like and another may feel
    > completely differently. Try before you buy.

    That's what I tell everybody... but don't apply to myself! Unfortunately,
    you can't try HDs.
    Still hoping to find someone who can tell more about the Acronis program.

    Thanks a lot for your suggestions,
    SR

    SR, Nov 1, 2003
  8. SR

    Livewire Guest

    In article <-news.com>, -
    net.ne.jp says...
    > Description (from Acronis web site):
    > Acronis PartitionExpert is the only disk partitioning software that allows
    > you to automatically or manually resize, copy, and move partitions without
    > losing data...
    >

    > I have purchased a 180 GB HD (Hitachi/IBM Deskstar) and have problems to
    > overcome the 137 GB limit in Windows XP.
    > A newly purchased computer will be able to handle HDs as large as 180 GB.
    > Anyway, since I am partitioning and formatting HDs very often, I wonder
    > whether the software mentioned above can also do basic partitioning. The
    > review talks about resizing, copying and moving only...
    > Is anybody using this software, or is there any software that allows
    > partitioning and formatting large HDs without a lot of pain?
    >
    > SR

    > <><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source <><><><><><><><>

    It does the job fine, although Powerquest is better.

    Since you seem to come from the UK, it also has the advantage of being
    free on the front of the December Personal Computer World magazine.

    Livewire, Nov 1, 2003
  9. SR

    Mail Guest

    I had the same problem with my hardware being unable to recognise the full
    capacity of 185GB drive. A friend formatted the disc for me and when
    refitted my machine recognised the full capacity of the disc. Exactly why
    (in my case) the 137GB limit applied only to unformatted discs I don't know
    but it may be worth a try.

    http://www.uncensored-news.com
    > > <><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source

    <><><><><><><><>

    Mail, Nov 1, 2003
  10. SR

    SR Guest

    "Mail" <> wrote in message
    > I had the same problem with my hardware being unable to recognise the full
    > capacity of 185GB drive. A friend formatted the disc for me and when
    > refitted my machine recognised the full capacity of the disc. Exactly why
    > (in my case) the 137GB limit applied only to unformatted discs I don't

    know
    > but it may be worth a try.

    I wonder how your friend has formatted it (what software, etc.?)
    I feel that this issue still lacks consumer-friendliness. Hardware
    manufacturers would do better business if they supplied instructions of a
    floppy with the appropriate software for this purpose...

    SR

    SR, Nov 2, 2003
  11. SR

    Mail Guest

    Agreed! The friend had a brand new PC where as mine is three years old. He
    formatted the disc using Windows XP which I also use.

    Mail, Nov 2, 2003