Acronis partioning software

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Kue2, May 20, 2006.

  1. Kue2

    Kue2 Guest

    I noticed that this software supports win 64.
    http://www.acronis.com/
    Anyone have any knowledge about this software? Good Or Bad
    Anyone using it in win 64?
     
    Kue2, May 20, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Charlie Russel - MVP, May 20, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. According to the Acornis website, only the True Image 9.1 Workstation &
    above works on x64 (unless I'm misreading). Does the Home version work on
    x64?

    Larry

    "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in message
    news:%...
    > Good. I've used it for several years (32-bit version) and like it. And
    > have used it recently with good success in 64-bit version.
    >
    > --
    > Charlie.
    > http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    > http://download.microsoft.com/downl..._XP_Professional_x64_Edition_Right_for_Me.doc
    >
    > Kue2 wrote:
    >> I noticed that this software supports win 64.
    >> http://www.acronis.com/
    >> Anyone have any knowledge about this software? Good Or Bad
    >> Anyone using it in win 64?

    >
    >
     
    Lawrence E. Oliver, May 20, 2006
    #3
  4. Kue2

    Graham Guest

    Lawrence E. Oliver wrote:
    > According to the Acornis website, only the True Image 9.1 Workstation &
    > above works on x64 (unless I'm misreading). Does the Home version work on
    > x64?


    Yes. I use it. (I did ask them first though as it isn't particularly
    clear on the web site.)

    Graham.
     
    Graham, May 20, 2006
    #4
  5. Thank You -

    Larry

    "Graham" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Lawrence E. Oliver wrote:
    >> According to the Acornis website, only the True Image 9.1 Workstation &
    >> above works on x64 (unless I'm misreading). Does the Home version work on
    >> x64?

    >
    > Yes. I use it. (I did ask them first though as it isn't particularly clear
    > on the web site.)
    >
    > Graham.
     
    Lawrence E. Oliver, May 20, 2006
    #5
  6. Hi, I noticed that on the Acronis blurb as well, supporting 64 bit. Does it
    actually make any difference, or is it just a bit of a gimmmick? A link to
    explanations would be appreciated if possible. My Partition Magic 8 will
    still work on XP Pro 64 when I get it running wont it? Thanks, from Peter.

    "Lawrence E. Oliver" wrote:

    > Thank You -
    >
    > Larry
    >
    > "Graham" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > > Lawrence E. Oliver wrote:
    > >> According to the Acornis website, only the True Image 9.1 Workstation &
    > >> above works on x64 (unless I'm misreading). Does the Home version work on
    > >> x64?

    > >
    > > Yes. I use it. (I did ask them first though as it isn't particularly clear
    > > on the web site.)
    > >
    > > Graham.

    >
    >
    >
     
    =?Utf-8?B?cG1jY3JhY2thbg==?=, May 21, 2006
    #6
  7. Kue2

    Graham Guest

    pmccrackan wrote:
    > Hi, I noticed that on the Acronis blurb as well, supporting 64 bit. Does it
    > actually make any difference, or is it just a bit of a gimmmick? A link to
    > explanations would be appreciated if possible. My Partition Magic 8 will
    > still work on XP Pro 64 when I get it running wont it? Thanks, from Peter.


    There is no need for 64-bit support if you boot something else to do
    your partitioning, for example booting Partition Magic floppies. Same
    applies for backups: boot the CD, and you don't need 64-bit support.

    If you want to do backups or partitioning from *within* XP x64, then if
    the product you use needs a driver, it will need a 64-bit driver. That's
    why, for example, Acronis TrueImage 8 can backup XP x64 by booting its
    own CD, but not from within XP x64, but TrueImage 9 does supply a 64-bit
    driver and can therefore backup from within XP x64.

    So, it can be either unnecessary or required!

    Graham.
     
    Graham, May 21, 2006
    #7
  8. Thanks, I think I have got it. ( I had to read it a few times though!) So if
    I installed Partition Magic 8 on my 64 bit system and try to use it I may
    have problems, however if I boot from the cd all will be well? Have I
    understood correctly?
    So as far managing partitions, on the fly as it were (no reboot) I would
    need a 64 bit driver, ie: in this case Acronis 64 bit compatible.
    Cheers, Peter.

    "Graham" wrote:

    > pmccrackan wrote:
    > > Hi, I noticed that on the Acronis blurb as well, supporting 64 bit. Does it
    > > actually make any difference, or is it just a bit of a gimmmick? A link to
    > > explanations would be appreciated if possible. My Partition Magic 8 will
    > > still work on XP Pro 64 when I get it running wont it? Thanks, from Peter.

    >
    > There is no need for 64-bit support if you boot something else to do
    > your partitioning, for example booting Partition Magic floppies. Same
    > applies for backups: boot the CD, and you don't need 64-bit support.
    >
    > If you want to do backups or partitioning from *within* XP x64, then if
    > the product you use needs a driver, it will need a 64-bit driver. That's
    > why, for example, Acronis TrueImage 8 can backup XP x64 by booting its
    > own CD, but not from within XP x64, but TrueImage 9 does supply a 64-bit
    > driver and can therefore backup from within XP x64.
    >
    > So, it can be either unnecessary or required!
    >
    > Graham.
    >
     
    =?Utf-8?B?cG1jY3JhY2thbg==?=, May 21, 2006
    #8
  9. Kue2

    John Barnes Guest

    FWIW, I have Partition Magic 8 that was installed on an old system. I have
    the old drive in a usb external enclosure. I have had no problems plugging
    the drive in and using PM by clicking on the executable. Therefore, I have
    not tried to install it on my current system x86 or x64.
    "pmccrackan" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Thanks, I think I have got it. ( I had to read it a few times though!) So
    > if
    > I installed Partition Magic 8 on my 64 bit system and try to use it I may
    > have problems, however if I boot from the cd all will be well? Have I
    > understood correctly?
    > So as far managing partitions, on the fly as it were (no reboot) I would
    > need a 64 bit driver, ie: in this case Acronis 64 bit compatible.
    > Cheers, Peter.
    >
    > "Graham" wrote:
    >
    >> pmccrackan wrote:
    >> > Hi, I noticed that on the Acronis blurb as well, supporting 64 bit.
    >> > Does it
    >> > actually make any difference, or is it just a bit of a gimmmick? A link
    >> > to
    >> > explanations would be appreciated if possible. My Partition Magic 8
    >> > will
    >> > still work on XP Pro 64 when I get it running wont it? Thanks, from
    >> > Peter.

    >>
    >> There is no need for 64-bit support if you boot something else to do
    >> your partitioning, for example booting Partition Magic floppies. Same
    >> applies for backups: boot the CD, and you don't need 64-bit support.
    >>
    >> If you want to do backups or partitioning from *within* XP x64, then if
    >> the product you use needs a driver, it will need a 64-bit driver. That's
    >> why, for example, Acronis TrueImage 8 can backup XP x64 by booting its
    >> own CD, but not from within XP x64, but TrueImage 9 does supply a 64-bit
    >> driver and can therefore backup from within XP x64.
    >>
    >> So, it can be either unnecessary or required!
    >>
    >> Graham.
    >>
     
    John Barnes, May 21, 2006
    #9
  10. Kue2

    Graham Guest

    pmccrackan wrote:
    > Thanks, I think I have got it. ( I had to read it a few times though!) So if
    > I installed Partition Magic 8 on my 64 bit system and try to use it I may
    > have problems, however if I boot from the cd all will be well? Have I
    > understood correctly?


    Well, there again, it depends!

    It may be like iTunes which needs a driver, installs the 32-bit one and
    then it doesn't work (you have to get the 64-bit one from the Gear web
    site, but next time you update iTunes it screws it up again), or it may
    notice there is a problem and refuse to install (Acronis TrueImage 8, at
    least the later builds noticed there was a problem anyway).

    One thing about the 32-bit drivers though: although they may "install",
    as iTunes does, they won't actually *load*, so XP x64 won't (can't) try
    to use them and do any damage.

    Graham.
     
    Graham, May 21, 2006
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. me

    partioning new hard drive

    me, Jan 26, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    596
    philo
    Jan 26, 2004
  2. Bobby Fischler
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    2,994
    Bobby Fischler
    Jul 24, 2004
  3. vvcd
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    2,423
  4. J L

    Xp64 and partioning

    J L, Mar 2, 2006, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    377
  5. Terry

    HELP needed with Partioning in XP

    Terry, Apr 11, 2008, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    388
Loading...

Share This Page