    Am looking for something different and more "modern",meaning more
    flexible WRT data transmission methods (serial, parallel, USB, Ethernet,
    Ansible).
    Robert Baer, Dec 19, 2012

  2. Robert Baer

    Paul Drahn Guest

    On 12/19/2012 11:03 AM, Robert Baer wrote:
    > Once upon a time there Acronis could make a COPY or CLONE a hard drive.
    > Where can i get/buy a copy of such a program that preferably runs
    > stand-alone, like Ghost 2001 does (ie does not demand a given OS like
    > present versions)?
    > Am looking for something different and more "modern",meaning more
    > flexible WRT data transmission methods (serial, parallel, USB, Ethernet,
    > Ansible).

    Got my copy directly from Acronis. Purchased via the WWW.

    It allows you to make a bootable CD or DVD copy so you can do what you
    want to do for the entire hard drive.

    I used mine to copy an entire hard drive to a USB hard disk. Then copy
    from the USB drive to a newly installed hard drive in my laptop. Takes a
    long time, but was 100% effective.

    The stand alone CD/DVD doesn't care about or use an operating system.

    I did get the Acronis Win 7 version in order to be able to create the
    bootable CD.

    Hope this helps.

    Paul
    Paul Drahn, Dec 19, 2012

  3. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Paul Drahn wrote:
    > On 12/19/2012 11:03 AM, Robert Baer wrote:
    >> Once upon a time there Acronis could make a COPY or CLONE a hard drive.
    >> Where can i get/buy a copy of such a program that preferably runs
    >> stand-alone, like Ghost 2001 does (ie does not demand a given OS like
    >> present versions)?
    >> Am looking for something different and more "modern",meaning more
    >> flexible WRT data transmission methods (serial, parallel, USB, Ethernet,
    >> Ansible).
    >>

    > Got my copy directly from Acronis. Purchased via the WWW.
    >
    > It allows you to make a bootable CD or DVD copy so you can do what you
    > want to do for the entire hard drive.
    >
    > I used mine to copy an entire hard drive to a USB hard disk. Then copy
    > from the USB drive to a newly installed hard drive in my laptop. Takes a
    > long time, but was 100% effective.
    >
    > The stand alone CD/DVD doesn't care about or use an operating system.
    >
    > I did get the Acronis Win 7 version in order to be able to create the
    > bootable CD.
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > Paul

    Well, the blurb does not exactly SAY that a true COPY can be made,
    the em-faa-sys is on dammed IMAGE (at least that is the way i read it).
    Also, there is a lot of blather about all the un-related crap
    covering AV, malware, active protection, active backup, etc, etc,
    ad-nauseum.
    I want ONLY COPY,no other BS.
    And if that bootable CD works from "scratch" and will copy ANY OS or
    combo of them from one HD to another HD,that is what i want.
    If it automatically can see an external (USB?) HD for a COPY in
    either direction (user selected, natch),that would be ideal.

    If all of that is true,then i can safely IGNORE the Win7 "only" crap
    by using Win 7 to load Acronis and then make that bootable CD (and then
    get off the tit of Win7).

    What version of Acronis,and how much?
    Robert Baer, Dec 20, 2012
  4. Robert Baer

    Paul Drahn Guest

    On 12/20/2012 1:11 PM, Robert Baer wrote:
    > Paul Drahn wrote:
    >> On 12/19/2012 11:03 AM, Robert Baer wrote:
    >>> Once upon a time there Acronis could make a COPY or CLONE a hard drive.
    >>> Where can i get/buy a copy of such a program that preferably runs
    >>> stand-alone, like Ghost 2001 does (ie does not demand a given OS like
    >>> present versions)?
    >>> Am looking for something different and more "modern",meaning more
    >>> flexible WRT data transmission methods (serial, parallel, USB, Ethernet,
    >>> Ansible).
    >>>

    >> Got my copy directly from Acronis. Purchased via the WWW.
    >>
    >> It allows you to make a bootable CD or DVD copy so you can do what you
    >> want to do for the entire hard drive.
    >>
    >> I used mine to copy an entire hard drive to a USB hard disk. Then copy
    >> from the USB drive to a newly installed hard drive in my laptop. Takes a
    >> long time, but was 100% effective.
    >>
    >> The stand alone CD/DVD doesn't care about or use an operating system.
    >>
    >> I did get the Acronis Win 7 version in order to be able to create the
    >> bootable CD.
    >>
    >> Hope this helps.
    >>
    >> Paul

    > Well, the blurb does not exactly SAY that a true COPY can be made, the
    > em-faa-sys is on dammed IMAGE (at least that is the way i read it).
    > Also, there is a lot of blather about all the un-related crap covering
    > AV, malware, active protection, active backup, etc, etc, ad-nauseum.
    > I want ONLY COPY,no other BS.
    > And if that bootable CD works from "scratch" and will copy ANY OS or
    > combo of them from one HD to another HD,that is what i want.
    > If it automatically can see an external (USB?) HD for a COPY in either
    > direction (user selected, natch),that would be ideal.
    >
    > If all of that is true,then i can safely IGNORE the Win7 "only" crap by
    > using Win 7 to load Acronis and then make that bootable CD (and then get
    > off the tit of Win7).
    >
    > What version of Acronis,and how much?

    I bought the 2013 version CD. I see they are on sale for a little while.

    Also look at:

    http://www.whatsabyte.com/P1/create_cd.htm

    This will show the steps to create the CD and what it can do.

    The old HD on my laptop was reporting a parity error in the cache
    memory. I ran it for several months and never had an actual data error.
    With the Acronis CD, I copied the entire HD to an external HD on USB.
    Then removed the old HD and put in a new HD and used the CD, again, to
    copy all to the new HD. Took a LONG time, whole Sunday afternoon, but
    when completed, I could not tell any difference with the new HD, except
    the parity error is gone.

    I now use the Acronis scheduled backup to make a backup on the USB HD
    every Sunday night. I can look at the backup and see all the folders
    there that are on my system HD. I have not had occasion restore any folders.

    So, I think the current, 2013, Acronis product will do what you want.

    Paul
    Paul Drahn, Dec 20, 2012
  5. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Paul Drahn wrote:
    > On 12/20/2012 1:11 PM, Robert Baer wrote:
    >> Paul Drahn wrote:
    >>>>
    >>> Got my copy directly from Acronis. Purchased via the WWW.
    >>>
    >>> It allows you to make a bootable CD or DVD copy so you can do what you
    >>> want to do for the entire hard drive.
    >>>
    >>> I used mine to copy an entire hard drive to a USB hard disk. Then copy
    >>> from the USB drive to a newly installed hard drive in my laptop. Takes a
    >>> long time, but was 100% effective.
    >>>
    >>> The stand alone CD/DVD doesn't care about or use an operating system.
    >>>
    >>> I did get the Acronis Win 7 version in order to be able to create the
    >>> bootable CD.
    >>>
    >>> Hope this helps.
    >>>
    >>> Paul

    >> Well, the blurb does not exactly SAY that a true COPY can be made, the
    >> em-faa-sys is on dammed IMAGE (at least that is the way i read it).
    >> Also, there is a lot of blather about all the un-related crap covering
    >> AV, malware, active protection, active backup, etc, etc, ad-nauseum.
    >> I want ONLY COPY,no other BS.
    >> And if that bootable CD works from "scratch" and will copy ANY OS or
    >> combo of them from one HD to another HD,that is what i want.
    >> If it automatically can see an external (USB?) HD for a COPY in either
    >> direction (user selected, natch),that would be ideal.
    >>
    >> If all of that is true,then i can safely IGNORE the Win7 "only" crap by
    >> using Win 7 to load Acronis and then make that bootable CD (and then get
    >> off the tit of Win7).
    >>
    >> What version of Acronis,and how much?

    > I bought the 2013 version CD. I see they are on sale for a little while.
    >
    > Also look at:
    >
    > http://www.whatsabyte.com/P1/create_cd.htm
    >
    > This will show the steps to create the CD and what it can do.
    >
    > The old HD on my laptop was reporting a parity error in the cache
    > memory. I ran it for several months and never had an actual data error.
    > With the Acronis CD, I copied the entire HD to an external HD on USB.
    > Then removed the old HD and put in a new HD and used the CD, again, to
    > copy all to the new HD. Took a LONG time, whole Sunday afternoon, but
    > when completed, I could not tell any difference with the new HD, except
    > the parity error is gone.
    >
    > I now use the Acronis scheduled backup to make a backup on the USB HD
    > every Sunday night. I can look at the backup and see all the folders
    > there that are on my system HD. I have not had occasion restore any
    > folders.
    >
    > So, I think the current, 2013, Acronis product will do what you want.
    >
    > Paul

    Please forgive my ignorance and stupidity.
    Nowhere in the Acronis site (or any other site) is there any info if
    Acronis 2013 can make a (true) COPY, or even a stand-alone way to COPY
    or BACKUP.
    LOTS of waving flags, banners, brass bands, circus performers, etc
    hoopla about g*ddamn image.
    Now i can ignore image capability,as long as it can COPY.
    Am assuming i can also ignore cloud crap, incremental backup,
    scheduled backup etc (and not having any of that junk clandestine).
    So,with that said..
    Please, can a bootable program be made that will COPY any hard drive:
    DOS, any version of MS$ windoze, any version of Linux, any combination
    of those on a hard drive?

    Thanks.
    Robert Baer, Dec 24, 2012
  6. Robert Baer

    Paul Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:
    > Paul Drahn wrote:

    >>> Well, the blurb does not exactly SAY that a true COPY can be made, the
    >>> em-faa-sys is on dammed IMAGE (at least that is the way i read it).
    >>> Also, there is a lot of blather about all the un-related crap covering
    >>> AV, malware, active protection, active backup, etc, etc, ad-nauseum.
    >>> I want ONLY COPY,no other BS.
    >>> And if that bootable CD works from "scratch" and will copy ANY OS or
    >>> combo of them from one HD to another HD,that is what i want.
    >>> If it automatically can see an external (USB?) HD for a COPY in either
    >>> direction (user selected, natch),that would be ideal.
    >>>
    >>> If all of that is true,then i can safely IGNORE the Win7 "only" crap by
    >>> using Win 7 to load Acronis and then make that bootable CD (and then get
    >>> off the tit of Win7).
    >>>
    >>> What version of Acronis,and how much?

    >> I bought the 2013 version CD. I see they are on sale for a little while.
    >>
    >> Also look at:
    >>
    >> http://www.whatsabyte.com/P1/create_cd.htm
    >>
    >> This will show the steps to create the CD and what it can do.
    >>
    >> The old HD on my laptop was reporting a parity error in the cache
    >> memory. I ran it for several months and never had an actual data error.
    >> With the Acronis CD, I copied the entire HD to an external HD on USB.
    >> Then removed the old HD and put in a new HD and used the CD, again, to
    >> copy all to the new HD. Took a LONG time, whole Sunday afternoon, but
    >> when completed, I could not tell any difference with the new HD, except
    >> the parity error is gone.
    >>
    >> I now use the Acronis scheduled backup to make a backup on the USB HD
    >> every Sunday night. I can look at the backup and see all the folders
    >> there that are on my system HD. I have not had occasion restore any
    >> folders.
    >>
    >> So, I think the current, 2013, Acronis product will do what you want.
    >>
    >> Paul

    > Please forgive my ignorance and stupidity.
    > Nowhere in the Acronis site (or any other site) is there any info if
    > Acronis 2013 can make a (true) COPY, or even a stand-alone way to COPY
    > or BACKUP.
    > LOTS of waving flags, banners, brass bands, circus performers, etc
    > hoopla about g*ddamn image.
    > Now i can ignore image capability,as long as it can COPY.
    > Am assuming i can also ignore cloud crap, incremental backup,
    > scheduled backup etc (and not having any of that junk clandestine).
    > So,with that said..
    > Please, can a bootable program be made that will COPY any hard drive:
    > DOS, any version of MS$ windoze, any version of Linux, any combination
    > of those on a hard drive?
    >
    > Thanks.

    There is a way to do that with a Linux LiveCD.

    dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb

    As long as the disk "sdb" is bigger than "sda", that will do
    a sector for sector copy. It doesn't matter the partition type,
    as everything gets copied.

    If the destination disk is smaller than the source, you'd have
    to worry about the "bits down at the end". Using GPARTED, you could
    move or shrink partitions until the only stuff of consequence
    down at the end, can be safely lost.

    sudo gparted

    The Linux LiveCD can't deal with Windows Dynamic Disks. At least,
    I was never able to get them mounted. Dynamic Disks may have some
    info stored near the very end of the disk, in which case, the "sdb"
    in the example should be bigger than "sda".

    Similarly, RAID drives have some info about the RAID array, which is
    stored near the end of the disk. The "dd" command may not deal well
    with that. You'd test the setup first, to see what comes out.

    But for more ordinary disk compositions, the "dd" is better than nothing.

    By using the Linux LiveCD, the Windows pagefile should be idle. There
    can be exceptions to that. At least a few distros have been clever enough,
    to use the pagefile as a pagefile for Linux. In which case, you'd use
    a "swapoff" type command to release the pagefile, before making your
    copy.

    If I was desperate for a means to copy files, I have a BartPE disk
    with an NTBackup plugin for it. So I can run NTBackup from BartPE.
    And that should be file-by-file based. I checked that at least
    it would attempt to make a backup, but haven't actually done a full
    backup-restore test to see that it works properly.

    Some of the partition manager programs can be used to copy stuff from
    one disk to another, but they can miss details like MBR boot code,
    getting the destination partition number correct, correcting boot.ini
    or BCD if the partition number changes, and so on. You can test
    all of that. I did my testing, like tested the Easeus product,
    using a virtual machine and a copy of Win2K. And then I can tell the
    things it does well, and the things it doesn't do well. So if you
    need to test any backup scenarios, something like VPC2007 is a good
    place to do the testing, without getting your hands dirty. I've had
    up to three virtual drives active in a single machine, while
    testing backup scenarios. SRC_disk, Backup_disk, DEST_disk.

    If you don't have something suitable for VPC2007 to run on, you
    can use the free VirtualBox. The GUI control panel for that is a bit
    harder to understand.

    *******

    I used this years ago, for a PC I set up for someone else.

    You could check the description on this, and see if it matches your
    needs. It took me about two days, to script things the way I wanted,
    and the learning curve used to be steep, to make your first backup.
    But after that, it can be relatively hands-free.

    http://retrospect.com/

    http://www.retrospect.com/en/products/win/versions

    "Retrospect 8 Professional 5-Client

    Protects a single non-server Windows PC and up to five additional
    Windows, Mac, and Linux desktops and notebooks."

    They list it here for $86, while another electronic copy of it was $117.

    http://www.pcconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail.htm?sku=15055004&cac=Result

    That should allow you to (indirectly) move stuff from one disk to another.
    With a backup-restore intermediary step.

    HTH,
    Paul
    Paul, Dec 24, 2012
  7. Robert Baer

    Paul Drahn Guest

    On 12/23/2012 11:44 PM, Robert Baer wrote:
    > Paul Drahn wrote:

    >>> Well, the blurb does not exactly SAY that a true COPY can be made, the
    >>> em-faa-sys is on dammed IMAGE (at least that is the way i read it).
    >>> Also, there is a lot of blather about all the un-related crap covering
    >>> AV, malware, active protection, active backup, etc, etc, ad-nauseum.
    >>> I want ONLY COPY,no other BS.
    >>> And if that bootable CD works from "scratch" and will copy ANY OS or
    >>> combo of them from one HD to another HD,that is what i want.
    >>> If it automatically can see an external (USB?) HD for a COPY in either
    >>> direction (user selected, natch),that would be ideal.
    >>>
    >>> If all of that is true,then i can safely IGNORE the Win7 "only" crap by
    >>> using Win 7 to load Acronis and then make that bootable CD (and then get
    >>> off the tit of Win7).
    >>>
    >>> What version of Acronis,and how much?

    >> I bought the 2013 version CD. I see they are on sale for a little while.
    >>
    >> Also look at:
    >>
    >> http://www.whatsabyte.com/P1/create_cd.htm
    >>
    >> This will show the steps to create the CD and what it can do.
    >>
    >> The old HD on my laptop was reporting a parity error in the cache
    >> memory. I ran it for several months and never had an actual data error.
    >> With the Acronis CD, I copied the entire HD to an external HD on USB.
    >> Then removed the old HD and put in a new HD and used the CD, again, to
    >> copy all to the new HD. Took a LONG time, whole Sunday afternoon, but
    >> when completed, I could not tell any difference with the new HD, except
    >> the parity error is gone.
    >>
    >> I now use the Acronis scheduled backup to make a backup on the USB HD
    >> every Sunday night. I can look at the backup and see all the folders
    >> there that are on my system HD. I have not had occasion restore any
    >> folders.
    >>
    >> So, I think the current, 2013, Acronis product will do what you want.
    >>
    >> Paul

    > Please forgive my ignorance and stupidity.
    > Nowhere in the Acronis site (or any other site) is there any info if
    > Acronis 2013 can make a (true) COPY, or even a stand-alone way to COPY
    > or BACKUP.
    > LOTS of waving flags, banners, brass bands, circus performers, etc
    > hoopla about g*ddamn image.
    > Now i can ignore image capability,as long as it can COPY.
    > Am assuming i can also ignore cloud crap, incremental backup, scheduled
    > backup etc (and not having any of that junk clandestine).
    > So,with that said..
    > Please, can a bootable program be made that will COPY any hard drive:
    > DOS, any version of MS$ windoze, any version of Linux, any combination
    > of those on a hard drive?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Trust me!!!! Famous last words! Yes, It will make a bootable CD. The web
    page I sent the link to shows the exact steps I went thru.

    Paul
    Paul Drahn, Dec 24, 2012
  8. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Paul Drahn wrote:
    > On 12/23/2012 11:44 PM, Robert Baer wrote:
    >> Paul Drahn wrote:

    >>> I bought the 2013 version CD. I see they are on sale for a little while.
    >>>
    >>> Also look at:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.whatsabyte.com/P1/create_cd.htm
    >>>
    >>> This will show the steps to create the CD and what it can do.
    >>>
    >>> The old HD on my laptop was reporting a parity error in the cache
    >>> memory. I ran it for several months and never had an actual data error.
    >>> With the Acronis CD, I copied the entire HD to an external HD on USB.
    >>> Then removed the old HD and put in a new HD and used the CD, again, to
    >>> copy all to the new HD. Took a LONG time, whole Sunday afternoon, but
    >>> when completed, I could not tell any difference with the new HD, except
    >>> the parity error is gone.
    >>>
    >>> I now use the Acronis scheduled backup to make a backup on the USB HD
    >>> every Sunday night. I can look at the backup and see all the folders
    >>> there that are on my system HD. I have not had occasion restore any
    >>> folders.
    >>>
    >>> So, I think the current, 2013, Acronis product will do what you want.
    >>>
    >>> Paul

    >> Please forgive my ignorance and stupidity.
    >> Nowhere in the Acronis site (or any other site) is there any info if
    >> Acronis 2013 can make a (true) COPY, or even a stand-alone way to COPY
    >> or BACKUP.
    >> LOTS of waving flags, banners, brass bands, circus performers, etc
    >> hoopla about g*ddamn image.
    >> Now i can ignore image capability,as long as it can COPY.
    >> Am assuming i can also ignore cloud crap, incremental backup, scheduled
    >> backup etc (and not having any of that junk clandestine).
    >> So,with that said..
    >> Please, can a bootable program be made that will COPY any hard drive:
    >> DOS, any version of MS$ windoze, any version of Linux, any combination
    >> of those on a hard drive?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > Trust me!!!! Famous last words! Yes, It will make a bootable CD. The web
    > page I sent the link to shows the exact steps I went thru.
    >
    > Paul

    Well,even that reference that mentions how to make a bootable CD
    waves flags, has performers on the highwire, clowns, etc concerning
    IMAGE: "..you could just pop the bootable CD in and run True Image from
    the CD to restore the IMAGE that you made.." without a peep about CLONE
    / BACKUP.
    What i do now,is boot my computer to DOS and use GhostPE to COPY my
    working HD to a second HD (all are in removable HD plugin trays); when
    done, shut down computer, unplug the COPY and reboot.
    When the working HD dies, i can unplug it and plug the copy in, and i
    am back in business in less than a minute.
    No fiddling with some (must be bootable) image restore that can take
    ages with lotza data to finally at last maybe have a bootable drive to use.

    So, i will try Acronis True Image 2003 and see if it will make a COPY
    using a stand-alone CD like mentioned in that article.
    I certainly am not convinced that is possible.
    If not, i will lose shipping and handling in both directions IF they
    honor their "promise" of good customer service to that degree.
    They certainly do NOT have any way to ask questions; their FAQ etc
    are useless in regards to my concern; meaning that their flag-waving
    about "superior" customer service is not as meaningful as that implied.
    Robert Baer, Dec 25, 2012
  9. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:
    > Paul Drahn wrote:

    >>> Please forgive my ignorance and stupidity.
    >>> Nowhere in the Acronis site (or any other site) is there any info if
    >>> Acronis 2013 can make a (true) COPY, or even a stand-alone way to COPY
    >>> or BACKUP.
    >>> LOTS of waving flags, banners, brass bands, circus performers, etc
    >>> hoopla about g*ddamn image.
    >>> Now i can ignore image capability,as long as it can COPY.
    >>> Am assuming i can also ignore cloud crap, incremental backup, scheduled
    >>> backup etc (and not having any of that junk clandestine).
    >>> So,with that said..
    >>> Please, can a bootable program be made that will COPY any hard drive:
    >>> DOS, any version of MS$ windoze, any version of Linux, any combination
    >>> of those on a hard drive?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.

    >> Trust me!!!! Famous last words! Yes, It will make a bootable CD. The web
    >> page I sent the link to shows the exact steps I went thru.
    >>
    >> Paul
    >>

    > Well,even that reference that mentions how to make a bootable CD waves
    > flags, has performers on the highwire, clowns, etc concerning IMAGE:
    > "..you could just pop the bootable CD in and run True Image from the CD
    > to restore the IMAGE that you made.." without a peep about CLONE / BACKUP.
    > What i do now,is boot my computer to DOS and use GhostPE to COPY my
    > working HD to a second HD (all are in removable HD plugin trays); when
    > done, shut down computer, unplug the COPY and reboot.
    > When the working HD dies, i can unplug it and plug the copy in, and i am
    > back in business in less than a minute.
    > No fiddling with some (must be bootable) image restore that can take
    > ages with lotza data to finally at last maybe have a bootable drive to use.
    >
    > So, i will try Acronis True Image 2003 and see if it will make a COPY
    > using a stand-alone CD like mentioned in that article.
    > I certainly am not convinced that is possible.
    > If not, i will lose shipping and handling in both directions IF they
    > honor their "promise" of good customer service to that degree.
    > They certainly do NOT have any way to ask questions; their FAQ etc are
    > useless in regards to my concern; meaning that their flag-waving about
    > "superior" customer service is not as meaningful as that implied.

    I must apologize; it dew work.
    Secrets not divulged:
    a) "backup" (within space constraints) makes an IMAGE in any selected
    folder.
    b) Must use "Tools & Utilities" and select "CLONE" there, and then one
    is in business.

    What i did not like (nitpick, nitpick) were the screens of the
    Acronis program itself; they were larger than the CRT scan in both
    directions, cutting off a fair part of the menus on top, and the "X"
    close impossible to access - so one could not close the program; had to
    do the 3-finger salute and use the OS Task Manager.
    Some of the stuff on the left were also cut off due to that enlargement.

    At least i did not have to pay for shipping or handling..

    What the heck is that "Plus Pack" anyway?
    Robert Baer, Dec 26, 2012
  10. Robert Baer

    Guest

    , Dec 26, 2012
  11. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Re: Acronis makes incorrect copies

    Robert Baer wrote:
    > Robert Baer wrote:
    >> Paul Drahn wrote:

    >>> Trust me!!!! Famous last words! Yes, It will make a bootable CD. The web
    >>> page I sent the link to shows the exact steps I went thru.
    >>>
    >>> Paul
    >>>

    >> Well,even that reference that mentions how to make a bootable CD waves
    >> flags, has performers on the highwire, clowns, etc concerning IMAGE:
    >> "..you could just pop the bootable CD in and run True Image from the CD
    >> to restore the IMAGE that you made.." without a peep about CLONE /
    >> BACKUP.
    >> What i do now,is boot my computer to DOS and use GhostPE to COPY my
    >> working HD to a second HD (all are in removable HD plugin trays); when
    >> done, shut down computer, unplug the COPY and reboot.
    >> When the working HD dies, i can unplug it and plug the copy in, and i am
    >> back in business in less than a minute.
    >> No fiddling with some (must be bootable) image restore that can take
    >> ages with lotza data to finally at last maybe have a bootable drive to
    >> use.
    >>
    >> So, i will try Acronis True Image 2003 and see if it will make a COPY
    >> using a stand-alone CD like mentioned in that article.
    >> I certainly am not convinced that is possible.
    >> If not, i will lose shipping and handling in both directions IF they
    >> honor their "promise" of good customer service to that degree.
    >> They certainly do NOT have any way to ask questions; their FAQ etc are
    >> useless in regards to my concern; meaning that their flag-waving about
    >> "superior" customer service is not as meaningful as that implied.

    > I must apologize; it dew work.
    > Secrets not divulged:
    > a) "backup" (within space constraints) makes an IMAGE in any selected
    > folder.
    > b) Must use "Tools & Utilities" and select "CLONE" there, and then one
    > is in business.
    >
    > What i did not like (nitpick, nitpick) were the screens of the Acronis
    > program itself; they were larger than the CRT scan in both directions,
    > cutting off a fair part of the menus on top, and the "X" close
    > impossible to access - so one could not close the program; had to do the
    > 3-finger salute and use the OS Task Manager.
    > Some of the stuff on the left were also cut off due to that enlargement.
    >
    > At least i did not have to pay for shipping or handling..
    >
    > What the heck is that "Plus Pack" anyway?

    Acronis???
    It froze computer so bad that i had to unplug computer; this was
    sometime early in the attempt to create a new archive.
    I will have to re-try and document exactly what i did, but there
    should be no way this un-acceptable result could be created.
    *
    Using the tools menu for making a clone, all went well BUT the result
    was bad.
    All data and OSes were correctly copied, but the third partition was
    altered/marked as FAT16X (hex 0E) when the original was FAT16B (hex 06).
    That makes the partition unusable by DOS or Win98SE or Win2K; this
    change is also un-acceptable.
    Fortunately i have a copy of PTEDIT included with PartitionMagic by
    PowerQuest.
    *
    On two different occasions, the copy had the volume names, as
    reported by PC-DOS, totally ratted (2-character names completely
    un-related via any "logic").
    I think i have found a way to fix that, but if anyone else has the
    problem, they better hassle Acronis big time for all of these problems
    as well as global fixes.
    Robert Baer, Dec 31, 2012