    restore them to a different partition (if possible). Is there a better
    test of the program, before I part with the cash for ver 10?

    , Dec 7, 2006

  2. wrote in
    news:p:

    > http://[could be bogus... could be funny...]/mag/vnu-ati7
    >
    > I've read others here say it was a little buggy, yet some past messages
    > indicate it did a good job.
    >
    > Would it be a good test to create an image of several directories and

    just
    > restore them to a different partition (if possible). Is there a better
    > test of the program, before I part with the cash for ver 10?

    Since v10 is out for a while... All that personal information... Oh sure,
    could be legitimate.

    Higher beings from outer space
    may not want to tell us all the secrets of life,
    because, in their little grey minds,
    we're not quite ready for that advanced step - yet.

    But maybe they'll change their superior tune - after a little torture.

    Bucky Breeder, Dec 7, 2006

  3. Smirnoff Guest

    Bucky Breeder wrote:
    > wrote in
    >
    >> http://[could be bogus... could be funny...]/mag/vnu-ati7
    >>
    >> I've read others here say it was a little buggy, yet some past messages
    >> indicate it did a good job.
    >>
    >> Would it be a good test to create an image of several directories and
    >> just restore them to a different partition (if possible). Is there a
    >> better test of the program, before I part with the cash for ver 10?
    >>

    > Since v10 is out for a while... All that personal information... Oh sure,
    > could be legitimate.

    Just tried the site. Offer has expired.

    Smirnoff, Dec 7, 2006
  4. "Smirnoff" <> wrote in news:J4udnUPU_7Gng-
    :

    > Bucky Breeder wrote:
    >> wrote in
    >>
    >>> http://[could be bogus... could be funny...]/mag/vnu-ati7
    >>>
    >>> I've read others here say it was a little buggy, yet some past messages
    >>> indicate it did a good job.
    >>>
    >>> Would it be a good test to create an image of several directories and
    >>> just restore them to a different partition (if possible). Is there a
    >>> better test of the program, before I part with the cash for ver 10?
    >>>

    >> Since v10 is out for a while... All that personal information... Oh

    sure,
    >> could be legitimate.
    >>

    > Just tried the site. Offer has expired.

    Another close call... and once again the world has been saved! <whew>

    (o; Cheers, and thanks for the follow-up.

    Bucky Breeder, Dec 7, 2006
  5. Smirnoff wrote:
    > Just tried the site. Offer has expired.

    Just tried the site. Offer is still valid.

    Jörg Schneider, Dec 7, 2006
  6. > Smirnoff wrote:
    >> Just tried the site. Offer has expired.

    "Jörg Schneider" <>
    wrote in news:45781f2c$0$30324$-online.net:

    > Just tried the site. Offer is still valid.

    Super cool! Since it seems to be working for you there, fill out the forms
    and tell us what happens, please. Thanks!

    Bucky Breeder, Dec 7, 2006
  7. Bucky Breeder wrote:
    >> Just tried the site. Offer is still valid.

    > Super cool! Since it seems to be working for you there, fill out the
    > forms
    > and tell us what happens, please. Thanks!

    What did you expect to happen? I got a registration e-mail with login
    information. After logging into my account on their website I saw a menu
    with all the links regarding TrueImage 7: download link, link to updates,
    serial number etc.

    The *only* information you have to provide are
    a )your firstname and lastname and
    b) a valid e-mail account.

    Since a) doesn't have to be real and Spamgourmet and others exist for b), I
    don't really understand what your problem is?

    Jörg

    Jörg Schneider, Dec 7, 2006
  8. "Jörg Schneider" <> wrote in

    > Bucky Breeder wrote:
    >>> Just tried the site. Offer is still valid.

    >> Super cool! Since it seems to be working for you there, fill out the
    >> forms
    >> and tell us what happens, please. Thanks!

    > What did you expect to happen? I got a registration e-mail with login
    > information. After logging into my account on their website I saw a menu
    > with all the links regarding TrueImage 7: download link, link to
    > updates, serial number etc.
    >
    > The *only* information you have to provide are
    > a )your firstname and lastname and
    > b) a valid e-mail account.
    >
    > Since a) doesn't have to be real and Spamgourmet and others exist for
    > b), I don't really understand what your problem is?
    >
    > Jörg

    You are so emotionally involved in this, ehh?

    My "problem" was that I was getting an "Offer now invalid" but now that
    you've been so nice with the abundance of information, I'll keep on trying
    back... Because I always wanted an obsolete by 3 versions software in my
    free stuff folder.

    Bucky Breeder, Dec 7, 2006
  9. Bucky Breeder wrote:
    > You are so emotionally involved in this, ehh?

    Sorry to disappoint you, but errr... no.

    Jörg Schneider, Dec 7, 2006
  10. "Jörg Schneider" <> wrote in news:45782baa$0
    $27623$-online.net:

    > Bucky Breeder wrote:
    >> You are so emotionally involved in this, ehh?

    > Sorry to disappoint you, but errr... no.

    Thanks again for checking it out - and for the verifying info!

    Bucky Breeder, Dec 7, 2006
  11. thanatoid Guest

    wrote in

    > http://www.acronis.com/mag/vnu-ati7
    >

    > I've read others here say it was a little buggy, yet some
    > past messages indicate it did a good job.
    >
    > Would it be a good test to create an image of several
    > directories and just restore them to a different partition
    > (if possible). Is there a better test of the program,
    > before I part with the cash for ver 10?

    I use a 4 year old version of Acronis which came FREE on a CD
    with a British computer magazine and it is the MOST
    INDISPENSABLE program I have. The fact Acronis continues to give
    away the older versions for free is nothing short of
    astonishing.

    Whether you want to pay for version 10 is your business. I have
    NEVER had ANY problems with MY version. Newer is not always
    better.

    t.

    --
    Violent disagreements and the usual abuse expected and welcomed.

    thanatoid, Dec 7, 2006
  12. wrote in

    > http://www.acronis.com/mag/vnu-ati7
    >
    > I've read others here say it was a little buggy, yet some past messages
    > indicate it did a good job.
    >
    > Would it be a good test to create an image of several directories and
    > just restore them to a different partition (if possible). Is there a
    > better test of the program, before I part with the cash for ver 10?

    A lot depends on your machine OS, and how would you restore if your OS got
    totally trashed. A back-up image software is so essential IMHO, that I
    believe 'shame-on-Microsoft' for not including a good one with their OS's.

    A lot of people use older versions of Norton Ghost and absolutely swear by
    it. I still use PowerQuest Drive Image 2002 on several machines that use a
    floppy disk access recovery procedure with absolute dependability.

    My problem with Acronis roots back to a few years ago when I tried it, and
    upon an image-restore-operation it tampered with the cluster sizes on a
    large HDD... I ended up restoring to backed-up PowerQuest image, and
    problem was resolved. That could have been unique to my HDD or something.

    I would say that it's good practice to get the software, then do a complete
    image, then do a restore to see if it works, how it works, etc. Of course
    the fear of doing it the first time is always "what if it doesn't work or
    trashes the system?" I don't know if there's an answer to that IRL. For
    every person who uses a backup software with success, there's one out there
    that says... you know, the usual, "it trashed my machine."

    "Newer" is not always "better" with software, but newer software is
    sometimes more compatible with newer systems; to wit, a recovery routine
    that only uses floppy disks is rather cumbersome on a machine that depends
    on CD bootable media.

    With a freeware, you could always try it out before you buy the newer
    version, which I think is good for end-users as well as a smart marketing
    strategy, because people are becoming increasingly aware that image backups
    are really prudent policy for both home and business users, and because
    most folks seem to stay loyal to their first backup software's brand,
    probably because it is so scary the first time you do it.

    But the good news is that once you do it, it is so incredibly fast and easy
    that it really doesn't make sense not to do it.

    Bucky Breeder, Dec 7, 2006
  13. Guest

    Bucky Breeder <> wrote in

    > Super cool! Since it seems to be working for you there, fill out the
    > forms and tell us what happens, please. Thanks!

    Why should it be anything other than legit? It's an acronis.com link.
    If you buy the program, you have to give them info anyway.
    At the very worst, it's tied in with some computer magazine. What's a few
    more spam e-mails? At least these may have some decent article links!

    , Dec 7, 2006
  14. Guest

    thanatoid <> wrote in

    > I use a 4 year old version of Acronis which came FREE on a CD
    > with a British computer magazine and it is the MOST
    > INDISPENSABLE program I have. The fact Acronis continues to give
    > away the older versions for free is nothing short of
    > astonishing.
    >
    > Whether you want to pay for version 10 is your business. I have
    > NEVER had ANY problems with MY version. Newer is not always
    > better.

    What version and what magazine? Was it Personal Computer World which seems
    to have the tie-in here?

    , Dec 7, 2006
  15. wrote in

    > Bucky Breeder <> wrote in
    >
    >> Super cool! Since it seems to be working for you there, fill out the
    >> forms and tell us what happens, please. Thanks!

    > Why should it be anything other than legit? It's an acronis.com link.
    > If you buy the program, you have to give them info anyway.
    > At the very worst, it's tied in with some computer magazine. What's a
    > few more spam e-mails? At least these may have some decent article
    > links!

    > Bucky Breeder <> wrote in
    >
    >> Super cool! Since it seems to be working for you there, fill out the
    >> forms and tell us what happens, please. Thanks!

    I think he did too, and I responded to him with my thanks.

    Bucky Breeder, Dec 7, 2006
  16. Guest

    Bucky Breeder <> wrote in

    > wrote in
    >
    >> http://www.acronis.com/mag/vnu-ati7
    >>
    >> I've read others here say it was a little buggy, yet some past
    >> messages indicate it did a good job.
    >>
    >> Would it be a good test to create an image of several directories and
    >> just restore them to a different partition (if possible). Is there a
    >> better test of the program, before I part with the cash for ver 10?

    > I would say that it's good practice to get the software, then do a
    > complete image, then do a restore to see if it works, how it works,
    > etc. Of course the fear of doing it the first time is always "what if
    > it doesn't work or trashes the system?" I don't know if there's an
    > answer to that IRL. For every person who uses a backup software with
    > success, there's one out there that says... you know, the usual, "it
    > trashed my machine."
    >
    > "Newer" is not always "better" with software, but newer software is
    > sometimes more compatible with newer systems; to wit, a recovery
    > routine that only uses floppy disks is rather cumbersome on a machine
    > that depends on CD bootable media.
    >
    > With a freeware, you could always try it out before you buy the newer
    > version, which I think is good for end-users as well as a smart
    > marketing strategy, because people are becoming increasingly aware
    > that image backups are really prudent policy for both home and
    > business users, and because most folks seem to stay loyal to their
    > first backup software's brand, probably because it is so scary the
    > first time you do it.
    >
    > But the good news is that once you do it, it is so incredibly fast and
    > easy that it really doesn't make sense not to do it.

    I see that you're now assured it's a legit url, Bucky.
    Thanks for the comments. You're quite informative when you want to be.
    I think I'll play around with it, but I'll probably order ver. 10 after
    awhile. Most of the network ops seem to prefer it over Norton Ghost.

    It's amazing how many advanced users refuse to touch a Norton/Symantec
    product. I've always felt McAfee insinuates itself in far too many areas
    of the OS and registry. Norton does as well. They both remind of
    Realplayer which I stopped installing several years ago in favor of Media
    Player Classic with Real Alternative. All three are productive pieces of
    software but are bothersome in that they become harmless spyware, always
    contacting the net through open ports looking for updates or passing info
    along.

    Even McAfee's Site Advisor, which I think is indispensible until Google
    gets their url ratings going, is adding a service now and forcing you to
    visit their purchase page before you can see the detailed info on a site.

    Sorry to digress.

    , Dec 7, 2006
  17. wrote in

    > Bucky Breeder <> wrote in
    >
    >> wrote in
    >>
    >>> http://www.acronis.com/mag/vnu-ati7
    >>>
    >>> I've read others here say it was a little buggy, yet some past
    >>> messages indicate it did a good job.
    >>>
    >>> Would it be a good test to create an image of several directories and
    >>> just restore them to a different partition (if possible). Is there a
    >>> better test of the program, before I part with the cash for ver 10?

    >> I would say that it's good practice to get the software, then do a
    >> complete image, then do a restore to see if it works, how it works,
    >> etc. Of course the fear of doing it the first time is always "what if
    >> it doesn't work or trashes the system?" I don't know if there's an
    >> answer to that IRL. For every person who uses a backup software with
    >> success, there's one out there that says... you know, the usual, "it
    >> trashed my machine."
    >>
    >> "Newer" is not always "better" with software, but newer software is
    >> sometimes more compatible with newer systems; to wit, a recovery
    >> routine that only uses floppy disks is rather cumbersome on a machine
    >> that depends on CD bootable media.
    >>
    >> With a freeware, you could always try it out before you buy the newer
    >> version, which I think is good for end-users as well as a smart
    >> marketing strategy, because people are becoming increasingly aware
    >> that image backups are really prudent policy for both home and
    >> business users, and because most folks seem to stay loyal to their
    >> first backup software's brand, probably because it is so scary the
    >> first time you do it.
    >>
    >> But the good news is that once you do it, it is so incredibly fast and
    >> easy that it really doesn't make sense not to do it.
    >>

    > I see that you're now assured it's a legit url, Bucky.
    > Thanks for the comments. You're quite informative when you want to be.
    > I think I'll play around with it, but I'll probably order ver. 10 after
    > awhile. Most of the network ops seem to prefer it over Norton Ghost.
    >
    > It's amazing how many advanced users refuse to touch a Norton/Symantec
    > product. I've always felt McAfee insinuates itself in far too many areas
    > of the OS and registry. Norton does as well. They both remind of
    > Realplayer which I stopped installing several years ago in favor of Media
    > Player Classic with Real Alternative. All three are productive pieces of
    > software but are bothersome in that they become harmless spyware, always
    > contacting the net through open ports looking for updates or passing info
    > along.
    >
    > Even McAfee's Site Advisor, which I think is indispensible until Google
    > gets their url ratings going, is adding a service now and forcing you to
    > visit their purchase page before you can see the detailed info on a site.
    >
    > Sorry to digress.

    NP in re "digress" because IMHO the discussion about backup imaging really
    needs to be out there big. And I'm serious about the 'shame-on-Microsoft'
    part for not providing a good one with the OS's. It's just code, and it
    would be so easy for them to do. While I don't have a financial dog-in-
    the-hunt, it would nearly break my heart to see a bunch of folks getting
    burned on the concept of imaging their drives because they got bit on hoaxy
    piece of software... Which does *not* appear to be the case hereto. Now I
    digress... (o;

    Also, I agree with you totally on the McAfee's products insinuating
    itselves way deep into [my] system, and then being overbearing with
    additional commercial proffers and outgoing connection attempts. While I
    was on a Win9x system, I had the same experience, and it really was quite
    frustrating cleaning it up once I decided it was calling out too much. And
    it's something that now that I'm once bitten, I like to look out for as
    well.

    Bucky Breeder, Dec 7, 2006
  18. caver1 Guest

    Jörg Schneider wrote:
    > Smirnoff wrote:
    >> Just tried the site. Offer has expired.

    > Just tried the site. Offer is still valid.

    Just went to the site registered and downloaded. It is a way to try
    Acronis. If you like it they hope you will buy 10.

    caver1, Dec 7, 2006
  19. Mike Echo Guest

    In article <Xns9892597B05AEFWeeZurD@216.151.153.21>,
    says...

    > Because I always wanted an obsolete by 3 versions software in my
    > free stuff folder.

    Sometimes (a) newer is not better and (b) an old version may do enough
    of what you require.

    At any rate, I reckon it's worth checking out when offers like this come
    up.

    R.

    Mike Echo, Dec 7, 2006
  20. thanatoid Guest

    wrote in

    > thanatoid <> wrote in
    >
    >> I use a 4 year old version of Acronis which came FREE on a
    >> CD with a British computer magazine and it is the MOST
    >> INDISPENSABLE program I have. The fact Acronis continues
    >> to give away the older versions for free is nothing short
    >> of astonishing.
    >>
    >> Whether you want to pay for version 10 is your business. I
    >> have NEVER had ANY problems with MY version. Newer is not
    >> always better.
    >>

    > What version and what magazine? Was it Personal Computer
    > World which seems to have the tie-in here?

    PC Answers #122, Aug 2003

    --
    Violent disagreements and the usual abuse expected and welcomed.

    thanatoid, Dec 7, 2006