Acrobat 8 Available w/ x64 Printer

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Aaron Kelley, Nov 3, 2006.

  1. Aaron Kelley

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    Acrobat 8.0 has been released. PDF printing support for x64 systems is
    included (finally).

    Trial link: http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobatpro/tryout.html

    Note - There are cheaper programs that can write PDF files from Windows.
    However, I use this since this is what we use at work and it is nice to see
    x64 support. However, when I installed it, and it tried to install the
    print driver, something interesting happened.

    It asked me to insert the "Windows Vista CD-ROM" so that it could find
    AdobePDF.dll. This is interesting for a couple of reasons... First, I'm
    running Windows XP x64 still, and also, why would AdobePDF.dll be on the
    Vista CD-ROM? Anyway, I used WinRAR to dig AdobePDF.dll_64 out of
    DATA1.CAB, renamed it to AdobePDF.dll, and told it to use that. It took it
    and PDF printing works fine. I am thinking maybe it is confused because
    only Vista 64-bit support is included and not XP x64. Anyway, I can't find
    any documentation about 64-bit support at all so I'm happy that it is
    working.

    - Aaron
    Aaron Kelley, Nov 3, 2006

  2. Glad to hear it's working. I won't hold my breath for them to back port it,
    though. And the install sounds seriously borked, but the fix is
    straight-forward.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 4, 2006

  3. Aaron Kelley

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    Yep.
    I am going to try to install it on Vista x64 soon to see if it's really just
    an XP vs. Vista thing or if the install is borked there as well.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Nov 4, 2006
  4. Aaron Kelley

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    Nope... Exact same thing happened in Vista x64. Ah well. :p

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Nov 4, 2006
  5. Aaron Kelley

    No Spam Guest

    On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 13:23:16 -0600, "Aaron Kelley"
    <> wrote:

    >Acrobat 8.0 has been released. PDF printing support for x64 systems is
    >included (finally).
    >
    >Trial link: http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobatpro/tryout.html
    >
    >Note - There are cheaper programs that can write PDF files from Windows.
    >However, I use this since this is what we use at work and it is nice to see
    >x64 support. However, when I installed it, and it tried to install the
    >print driver, something interesting happened.
    >
    >It asked me to insert the "Windows Vista CD-ROM" so that it could find
    >AdobePDF.dll. This is interesting for a couple of reasons... First, I'm
    >running Windows XP x64 still, and also, why would AdobePDF.dll be on the
    >Vista CD-ROM? Anyway, I used WinRAR to dig AdobePDF.dll_64 out of
    >DATA1.CAB, renamed it to AdobePDF.dll, and told it to use that. >

    I am also using XP 64 edition [OEM] but I don't appear to have
    DATA1.CAB on the install disc and WinRAR didn't find it either.
    I pointed the installation of V8 to the AdobePDF.dll in my Windows
    directory and it loaded OK.

    Acrobat V8 opens and prints OK. However when I try to create a pdf
    file from Family Tree Maker 16, the program crashes [as it did before
    with Acrobat v7] presumable this is because the AdobePDF.dll that was
    in my Windows directory is incompatible.

    Where can I get hold of AdobePDF.dll_64 then?

    [snip]
    No Spam, Nov 5, 2006
  6. Aaron Kelley

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    It's possible that the AdobePDF.dll you found in your system32 directory is
    the correct one. I didn't look there when I was installing. I'll look at
    it next time.

    I found DATA1.CAB in the files that the installer created before it ran, in
    C:\Documents and Settings\[your user name]\Local Settings\Temp\Acrobat 8.0
    (or something similar)

    If this crash also occurred with Acrobat v7, I would suspect that the old
    problem is still there sooner than I would suspect using the wrong
    AdobePDF.dll.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Nov 5, 2006
  7. Aaron Kelley

    No Spam Guest

    On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 08:37:45 -0600, "Aaron Kelley"
    <> wrote:

    >It's possible that the AdobePDF.dll you found in your system32 directory is
    >the correct one. I didn't look there when I was installing. I'll look at
    >it next time.
    >
    >I found DATA1.CAB in the files that the installer created before it ran, in
    >C:\Documents and Settings\[your user name]\Local Settings\Temp\Acrobat 8.0
    >(or something similar)

    My installation files have long gone unfortunately

    >If this crash also occurred with Acrobat v7, I would suspect that the old
    >problem is still there sooner than I would suspect using the wrong
    >AdobePDF.dll.

    That's a good point. The fault might be with Family Tree Maker 16
    since Control Panel/Printers and Faxes/Adobe PDF will produce a test
    page and other pdf files print out with no problem.

    The adobepdf.dll file is version 8.
    No Spam, Nov 5, 2006
  8. Aaron Kelley

    trunksy Guest

    I'm running Vista x64 and I'm having a problem creating the Adobe PDF
    port. It keeps saying:

    "An error occured installing port monitor 'Adobe PDF Port'. Please
    contact the manufacturer for assistance."

    I think it's trying to copy AdobePDF.dll to the C:\Windows\System32
    directory but I've tried several ways to get the file there. Could it
    be related to UAC? Is there a way to temporarily remove UAC?

    --
    trunksy
    trunksy's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=19011

    http://www.techarena.in
    trunksy, Nov 8, 2006
  9. Aaron Kelley

    Dennis Pack Guest

    trunksy:
    During installation you get a search window looking for
    AdobePDF.dll. The installation program is looking in the i386 folder for
    this file. Click the browse button this opens the i386 folder which is
    empty, click the backup button on the taskbar (next to the new folder
    button), you will then see 2 folders, AMD64 and i386, open the AMD64 folder
    and the AdobePDF.dll file is there, highlight it and click continue. Since
    you've already installed the program, reinstall the program, when you get
    the choice to modify, repair or uninstall, choose repair. During the repair
    you will get the search box. If you're running Windows x64 the procedure is
    different.

    Dennis Pack, Nov 8, 2006
  10. Aaron Kelley

    trunksy Guest

    trunksy, Nov 9, 2006
  11. Aaron Kelley

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    Hmm, if it's UAC's fault, I believe you can still turn off UAC from msconfig
    (Start->Run "msconfig").

    I'd mess with it more myself, but I've dumped my Vista install until I can
    get my hands on the RTM build, when I will make an attempt to switch over to
    it full-time.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Nov 9, 2006
  12. Aaron Kelley

    trunksy Guest

    Thanks for the information that MSConfig will disable UAC.

    I tried repairing and disabling UAC and neither helped.

    For those of you that have Acrobat 8 on Vista 64-bit, do you have th
    same problem of the printer being created but the port for it not bein
    created correctly or did it work fine the first time?

    --
    trunks

    http://www.techarena.i
    trunksy, Nov 9, 2006
  13. Aaron Kelley

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    I actually ran setup to the point that I saw that it did the same request
    for AdobePDF.dll that it does in Windows XP x64 and stopped, didn't run it
    to completion (assuming that I could fix it the same way). I should have
    finished it to know whether or not it actually works. :p

    Should know more before too long though.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Nov 9, 2006
  14. Aaron Kelley

    b3lloq Guest

    Aaron Kelley;2305207 Wrote:
    > Acrobat 8.0 has been released. PDF printing support for x64 systems is
    > included (finally).
    >
    > Trial link: http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobatpro/tryout.html
    >
    > Note - There are cheaper programs that can write PDF files fro
    > Windows.
    > However, I use this since this is what we use at work and it is nice t
    > see
    > x64 support. However, when I installed it, and it tried to instal
    > the
    > print driver, something interesting happened.
    >
    > It asked me to insert the "Windows Vista CD-ROM" so that it could find
    > AdobePDF.dll. This is interesting for a couple of reasons... First
    > I'm
    > running Windows XP x64 still, and also, why would AdobePDF.dll be o
    > the
    > Vista CD-ROM? Anyway, I used WinRAR to dig AdobePDF.dll_64 out of
    > DATA1.CAB, renamed it to AdobePDF.dll, and told it to use that. I
    > took it
    > and PDF printing works fine. I am thinking maybe it is confuse
    > because
    > only Vista 64-bit support is included and not XP x64. Anyway, I can'
    > find
    > any documentation about 64-bit support at all so I'm happy that it is
    > working.
    >
    > - Aaron

    Aaron,

    Thanks!!! I would have never figured this out. I have x64 too and ha
    to get the dll from the data1.cab and rename it

    --
    b3llo
    b3lloq's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=2975

    http://forums.techarena.i
    b3lloq, Aug 22, 2007
  15. Aaron Kelley

    FredInAustin

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    I have a related problem.

    I am attempting to install CS3 (including Acrobat 8) on an iMAC 27" running W7 Ultimate 64bit on a BOOTCAMP partition. I get the same error and a promt asking for the Windows Install disk. I have looked everywhere and can not find an AdobePDF.dll_64 anywhere. Suggestions?
    FredInAustin, Apr 7, 2010