acquiring network address

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by gneuner, Apr 12, 2007.

  1. gneuner

    gneuner Guest

    Hi all,

    Got a weird problem. I have an XP Pro SP2 computer connected to a
    wireless lan via a bridge (the computer itself has a wired adapter).
    The bridge is having an intermittent problem that causes it to reboot
    periodically. I'm working on that issue.

    The problem is, whenever the bridge hiccups, the animated network tray
    icon pops up, and the icon remains even after the connection is
    reestablished. Its status is always "Acquiring Network Address"
    despite the machine being configured with a static IP address and the
    DHCP Client service being permanently disabled. Also I have unchecked
    both boxes in the adapter properties re: showing connectivity and
    connection warnings - still the warning icon appears.

    Additionally, the WZC service is disabled because the adapter is wired
    and the DNS service is disabled because I use a host file. Network
    DNS is provided by the router.

    The only way I have found to make the icon go away is to open the
    adapter TCP properties and press "apply" to reaffirm the static IP
    configuration. Once I do that, the status changes immediately to
    "Online" and remains until the next time the bridge hiccups.

    As I understand it, with a static IP address, these warnings should
    never appear. Is there something wrong with the configuration that
    could be confusing it? I hate waste resources enabling unneeded
    services.

    Thanks,
    George
    gneuner, Apr 12, 2007