Acquiring network address / network cable unplugged

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Cuzman, Jul 23, 2006.

  1. Cuzman

    Cuzman Guest

    I've got a problem which has seemed to appear from nowhere, and I can't seem
    to fix it. I have two PCs hard-wired to a Linksys WAG54GS ADSL router, one
    Windows XP and one Windows ME (which I'm sitting at now).

    I left the Windows XP PC running last night as it downloaded some large
    files. I woke up this morning to find that it had lost its internet
    connection and was flashing up "a network connection is unplugged" every few
    seconds in the system tray. This notification usually only shows up on the
    very rare occassions when I need to power-cycle the router off and on to get
    back a lost ADSL signal. The router currently shows that the ADSL signal is
    fine, but this Windows XP PC seems unable to connect to it.

    Nothing has been unplugged. No additional software has been installed. No
    settings have been changed, and it was all fine when I went to bed. It has
    been running fine for about a year since I got my router until I woke up
    this morning.

    If I view the list of network connections I can see the status constantly
    changing between "acquiring network address" and "network cable unplugged".

    I have run AVG anti-virus, Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D. All these programs are
    updated daily, and they show nothing of concern after being run. I have
    also replaced the Cat5e RJ45 network cable to see if there is a problem with
    that, which there isn't. I still get exactly the same results.

    After Googling the term "acquiring network address" I saw some advise on
    running the program winsockxpfix.exe , which did absolutely nothing.

    Can anyone advise on what could have happened, and how I can fix this?

    TIA.

    Cuzman, Jul 23, 2006

  2. Cuzman wrote:
    > I've got a problem which has seemed to appear from nowhere, and I can't seem
    > to fix it. I have two PCs hard-wired to a Linksys WAG54GS ADSL router, one
    > Windows XP and one Windows ME (which I'm sitting at now).
    >
    > I left the Windows XP PC running last night as it downloaded some large
    > files. I woke up this morning to find that it had lost its internet
    > connection and was flashing up "a network connection is unplugged" every few
    > seconds in the system tray. This notification usually only shows up on the
    > very rare occassions when I need to power-cycle the router off and on to get
    > back a lost ADSL signal. The router currently shows that the ADSL signal is
    > fine, but this Windows XP PC seems unable to connect to it.
    >
    > Nothing has been unplugged. No additional software has been installed. No
    > settings have been changed, and it was all fine when I went to bed. It has
    > been running fine for about a year since I got my router until I woke up
    > this morning.
    >
    > If I view the list of network connections I can see the status constantly
    > changing between "acquiring network address" and "network cable unplugged".
    >
    > I have run AVG anti-virus, Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D. All these programs are
    > updated daily, and they show nothing of concern after being run. I have
    > also replaced the Cat5e RJ45 network cable to see if there is a problem with
    > that, which there isn't. I still get exactly the same results.
    >
    > After Googling the term "acquiring network address" I saw some advise on
    > running the program winsockxpfix.exe , which did absolutely nothing.
    >
    > Can anyone advise on what could have happened, and how I can fix this?

    You seem to be fairly clued about this stuff, so you already know that
    the XP machine is just trying to get an IP from the router and it's not
    working. You could try some static IP settings intead of DHCP, see if it
    works that way. Could be the router, could be the XP machine.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 23, 2006

  3. Cuzman

    Mike Easter Guest

    Cuzman wrote:
    > I've got a problem which has seemed to appear from nowhere, and I
    > can't seem to fix it. I have two PCs hard-wired to a Linksys WAG54GS
    > ADSL router, one Windows XP and one Windows ME (which I'm sitting at
    > now).

    I would 'take down' the network and bring it back up in proper order for
    starters before I did any other troubleshooting. In this case there are
    only 3 pieces, since the modem and router are integrated.

    I would powerdown the adsl router and the two boxen. Then I would first
    bring up the modemrouter, watching its LEDs for anything funky, and then
    the boxes one at a time.

    Your message didn't say that you have done that yet, altho' you did say
    you knew about power cycling for lost adsl signal.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 23, 2006
  4. Cuzman

    Cuzman Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message

    " I would powerdown the adsl router and the two boxen. Then I would first
    bring up the modemrouter, watching its LEDs for anything funky, and then the
    boxes one at a time. Your message didn't say that you have done that yet,
    altho' you did say you knew about power cycling for lost adsl signal. "

    That's the first thing I did, and it was unsuccessful. The Windows ME PC
    continued to work after the router power cycle, but the XP PC continued its
    cycle of attempting to acquire a network address.

    Cuzman, Jul 23, 2006
  5. Cuzman

    and3w Guest

    Not knowing a massive amount about this, but could you do a tracert or a
    ping to your cotet and see if that showed any problems? Would this
    help..was just some thing I did through an anonymiser, to check why I was
    D/L so slow..long story and not for here, but it might give you info that
    helps? I used whois to run them.

    and3w, Jul 23, 2006
  6. Cuzman

    PeeCee Guest

    "Cuzman" <> wrote in message
    > I've got a problem which has seemed to appear from nowhere, and I can't
    > seem
    > to fix it. I have two PCs hard-wired to a Linksys WAG54GS ADSL router,
    > one
    > Windows XP and one Windows ME (which I'm sitting at now).
    >
    > I left the Windows XP PC running last night as it downloaded some large
    > files. I woke up this morning to find that it had lost its internet
    > connection and was flashing up "a network connection is unplugged" every
    > few
    > seconds in the system tray. This notification usually only shows up on
    > the
    > very rare occassions when I need to power-cycle the router off and on to
    > get
    > back a lost ADSL signal. The router currently shows that the ADSL signal
    > is
    > fine, but this Windows XP PC seems unable to connect to it.
    >
    > Nothing has been unplugged. No additional software has been installed.
    > No
    > settings have been changed, and it was all fine when I went to bed. It
    > has
    > been running fine for about a year since I got my router until I woke up
    > this morning.
    >
    > If I view the list of network connections I can see the status constantly
    > changing between "acquiring network address" and "network cable
    > unplugged".
    >
    > I have run AVG anti-virus, Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D. All these programs
    > are
    > updated daily, and they show nothing of concern after being run. I have
    > also replaced the Cat5e RJ45 network cable to see if there is a problem
    > with
    > that, which there isn't. I still get exactly the same results.
    >
    > After Googling the term "acquiring network address" I saw some advise on
    > running the program winsockxpfix.exe , which did absolutely nothing.
    >
    > Can anyone advise on what could have happened, and how I can fix this?
    >
    > TIA.

    Cuzman

    "changing between "acquiring network address" and "network cable unplugged"
    Either a dead Ethernet card, dodgy port on your router switch, or a crook
    cable.
    Substitution is the easiest and quickest 'test'.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Jul 24, 2006
  7. Cuzman wrote:

    > I've got a problem which has seemed to appear from nowhere, and I can't
    > seem
    > to fix it. I have two PCs hard-wired to a Linksys WAG54GS ADSL router,
    > one Windows XP and one Windows ME (which I'm sitting at now).
    >
    > I left the Windows XP PC running last night as it downloaded some large
    > files. I woke up this morning to find that it had lost its internet
    > connection and was flashing up "a network connection is unplugged" every
    > few
    > seconds in the system tray. This notification usually only shows up on
    > the very rare occassions when I need to power-cycle the router off and on
    > to get
    > back a lost ADSL signal. The router currently shows that the ADSL signal
    > is fine, but this Windows XP PC seems unable to connect to it.
    >
    > Nothing has been unplugged. No additional software has been installed.
    > No
    > settings have been changed, and it was all fine when I went to bed. It
    > has been running fine for about a year since I got my router until I woke
    > up this morning.
    >
    > If I view the list of network connections I can see the status constantly
    > changing between "acquiring network address" and "network cable
    > unplugged".

    Looks much like a hardware failure, most probably your NIC. You may run
    ipconfig /all to see if it is still displaying a useful hw address, not a
    string of zeros or FFs instead.
    If your router felt it's "hammered" somehow and closed the port, you would
    be able to reconnect after a powercycle.
    If the pc refused to acquire a dhcp address (may sometimes be a firewall
    issue) you would get the "reduced connectivity" warning instead.
    Try to swap your NIC. XP recognizes most of them out of the box, and they
    are cheap enough.
    If you have a livecd (knoppix or others) you may try to boot with that and
    see if it can connect.
    Or swap the router port first, just to be sure.

    Walter Mautner, Jul 24, 2006