    same (i.e. displaying "acquiring network address"). I don't think it affects
    connectivity, but the icon is rather irritating and illogical.

    Please help.

    =?Utf-8?B?U2Fneg==?=, Nov 6, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?U2Fneg==?=

    David Hettel Guest

    Not sure how you have your network configured, but DHCP and DNS are NOT the
    same thing! DNS is used to translate www.msn.com into it's IP address
    207.68.172.246 DHCP is what gives your laptop it's IP address on the
    network. By disabling DHCP and not preconfiguring everything into the
    network adapter you created the error condition you see. You need both DHCP
    and DNS running or you'll need to hard code your network adapters.

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    no rights.

    David Hettel, Nov 6, 2006

  3. Hi
    Probably you mean Static IP, rather then DNS.
    Make sure that the laptop does not run any other Wireless Manger beside
    Windows Zero Configuration.http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    It looks like some thing else is trying to acquire an IP (that is what the
    running Icon means).
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 6, 2006
  4. Thanks Jack and David,
    Yes, I did use the wrong term. I meant Static IP, as Jack correctly deduced.
    I can't see any other wireless manager other than WZC. Is there a way to find
    out? I had installed Intel's latest drivers, which forcibly installed Intel's
    wireless manager. Uninstalling the Intel manager removed the drivers too. So
    I manually installed the drivers (through device manager). This was months
    ago. As of now, my laptop does not show Intel's manager being installed and
    Wireless Network Connection properties shows that Windows manages my wireless
    network.

    =?Utf-8?B?U2Fneg==?=, Nov 7, 2006